Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Wheelchair Pricing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Wheelchair Pricing
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-18-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Salt Lake, Utah, there are a few theaters that have special wheelchair pricing. One theater actually allows the person in a wheelchair and one guest in for no charge at all, while two others allow the person in the wheelchair in for free if they are with a paying guest.

At first I was just sure that they knew I was God, but then I realized that maybe, just maybe, it was the chair.

Is this something that I am experiencing locally or do other theaters around the country, chains perhaps, have policies to deal with this? That anyone knows of anyway...

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our policy is that anyone in a wheechair and their 'attendant', for lack of a better word, in at no charge. Can't say that I agree with it, but it isn't my call to make.. [Smile]

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At me theater I think (dont quote me) we used to offer that same free ticket deal. Now a guest in a wheelchair and one person are offered the lowest ticket price ($6.00).

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... We currently, and always have, charged full admission for patrons in wheelchairs, as well as any accompaning patrons. To my knowledge, all of the other theaters in our markets have done the same.

Although I recognize the hardships patrons in wheelchairs can face and certainly think exhibitors should due their utmost to follow ADA regulations and make their presentations top quality for all guests, I don't understand letting in patrons with wheelchairs and their guests for free. They are viewing the same product and receiving the same services as everyone else. Maybe I'm just a hard-ass.

Do these theaters only not charge for those in wheelchairs, or do they also have a similar policy for those in walkers, mentally handicapped, etc...?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-19-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People in wheelchairs should be treated just like any other customer.Their attendant should purchase a ticket as well. The film distributer is entitled to his percentage of every ticket for every person who see's the film.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically speaking, I'm not aware of any provision in the studios' master licenses that would allow for this. When they send those letters demanding per-caps, they pretty much mean everybody.

First run houses that let anyone in free during these initial weeks could possibly find themselves paying the percentages for these people out of their own pockets.

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, people in wheel chairs only want to feel and be treated like everyone else. Having said that, we do things a little backward. We charge the wheel chair individual and allow the attendant in for free... In the end there is the same "discount" given, but the wheel chair patron thinks they are treated no different than everyone else....

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-19-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very strange indeed. I myself cannot go to a theater without my wheelchair, as I can only walk a few hundred feet during any given day.

The theaters in questions give the freebie to wheelchair patrons, but not to those in walkers or on crutches or the like.

I don't understand why it is done. It certainly seems odd. I personally hate when I am treated like a cripple, like when people keep trying to push me. OK, just because the things has handles, doesn't mean I want a push. Just because I have love handles doesn't mean I want every hot looking babe to grab me... Oh wait, maybe that does.

When I do go and they give me the ticked at no charge, they mark me and my guest down on a pass sheet. So there is some accountability. I have wondered if they were paying my way for me, and why would they do that? I always end up buying enough at the snack bar to cover what the ticket price would have been, and usually more.

I don't mind too much per say that I actually get in no charge. Heck, I get that anyway if I just make a phone call. But it certainly seems very odd.

The theater in question is actually very nice, with very good presentation most of the time. Perhaps they do it to grease the wheels (no pun intended) with the handicapped crowd to keep them from making a fuss about the fact that there is no automatic door opener, which could be problematic for some who are unable to actually open the door.

Hard to say.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as mentally handicapped, I figure that corporate personel are probably getting in for free anyway. [evil] [Smile]

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the money that is spent to make theatres handicapped accesible, i think that all customers in wheel chairs should be charged the regular admission price. There is no reason to let these people in for free. It makes no sense. Its almost as stupid as a senior discount. Why should a senior citizen be admitted at a lower price then an adult. Seniors rarely even buy anything from the concession stand anyway. I'm tired of people getting discounts and handouts for no reason.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike theatres have the policy of letting wheel chairs in free. I say, we have wheel chair spaces and are very handicap accessable. Are they not receiving the same entertainment as anyone else? The worst is one customer we have is very young, smart and gets around like a pro. He refuses any help with carrying concession and/or auditorium doors. He doesn't want to be treated differently. (We open doors and carry things for many however). He complains every time that he can't get in free! So we should treat him differently?! We do however let mentally challenged in for the child price. Many group homes frequent our theatre and this is a very good political move. Plus it could be argued that they aren't receiving the same entertainment value as most as they perhaps have capacities of children. They are fun to serve though, always happy and intent on knowing our names.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a previous theatre I managed, members of my staff had access to a wheelchair on their personal time and used to brag how they'd go to the Carmike theatre down the road with the chair to sneak in for free.

At the theatre's I've worked at we've always charged people in wheelchairs the same as any other guest, and I've never heard any concerns from our disabled guests over that policy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We charge the regular price for wheelchair users too.

I cannot IMAGINE charging the "child" price for a mentally challenged adult. If I was a caregiver and taking that person to the show with me, I would consider that to be demeaning, insulting and presumptuous. Maybe if the caregiver ASKED for a discount due to the limited capacity of his charge, then we would consider it, but to just "assume" that a person has the mentality of a child and therefore should get in for the child's price, well that to me is amazingly rude.

EDIT: Having re-thought this a bit, I would say that in a "group home" situation it might be a more tolerable thing.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Mike said. I've never heard of a "anyone in a wheelchair gets in free" policy. I can't see the justification for it, and it seems unfair to the film distributors. It also seems like it opens up possibilities for abuse. Same for giving "mentally challenged" people a child price. What constitutes a "mentally challenged" person, anyway? If the group home wants a discount for bringing several people to the theatre at once, that's fine...call it a "group discount" or something, just like what one might do for a school or any other group that wants to come to the theatre.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will rephrase to make you all happy! I grant them the matinee/senior/child/discount/the lowest we can go price on evening shows as well. Also it is mostly due to a fixed income as they are in a group home, they have set limits for entertainment spending. As a former employee in a group home, I have compassion for their situation. We don't call it the child price. They are treated with a discount just like seniors who like to think they are on a fixed income. If you cannot distinguish a mentally challenged person that is getting help with money at the counter and cannot order for themselves, perhaps the ticket person is challenged. I think it is justified to assume that they have a diminished capacity in that instance. If that is not politically correct, at least it's the right thing to do!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: