Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Crazy Customer, Bad Manager? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Crazy Customer, Bad Manager?
Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this happened to your employee what would you have done or do my managers just not care?

A customer wanted tickets to a movie that had started a half hour ago, but he still wanted to go anyway after arguing with me about how all the other movies sucked and he still wanted to see Bruce Almighty. Then he gave me his credit card and it went even further downhill from there. I asked for an ID because his signature was non existent. He didnt have one, so i refused to sell him tickets, and then he started grabbing things from my side of the glass like my highlighter and trying to sign his card when obviuosly a highlighter isnt going to work and he's swearing at me the whole time and I know I should have called security but I really didnt think it would get as bad as it did, and so he continues swearing at me and tells me to swipe his f***ing card and all sorts of other great choice words and he ends up punching the glass and flicking me off and he storms inside. One of our employees was in line behind him and asked me if I was ok, but Iwasnt. I gave my coworker his tickets and went into the count room and was freaking out and crying and everything. Jeff (my co-worker) went and told the managers that the man by the cash machine went crazy on me and punched the glass and what not, and the managers did nothing. Then one of the box employees came out and told them also so then they decided oh its not a joke. So the guy heard them and was moaning to himself and then we all guess he left because we didnt see him after that. but I was crying for like 15 minutes and I dont cry. I dont. and I couldnt talk for another 20 minutes. It was awful. Most people are gracious when you ask for an ID on their credit card. Now I am afriad to ask, but I still do.

I really shouldn't be treated this way and no one did a thing about it. They didn't even care that it happened and it scared the other box office people just by listening to it. I am 20 and five foot nothing and this guy was big and he was 30ish and angry and no one did a thing about it. I mean, I handled it the way I should have, said my manager, but still what is wrong with people like that?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you have a situation like that it is sometimes best to not push the situation beyond a certain point. you did do the right thing since how do we know that the credit card is his. As far as management goes they should have had security keep an eye on the guy for further problems. When you deal with the public you have to expect the unexpected. This guy may not have been mad at you but something else was fueling his anger. Don't let the situation bother you because you may never encounter that again. Some people think the world revolves around them and could care less if they let other people suffer there anger.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kristin, I would have, as i have done it before, 86ed the guy. His business could be had elsewhere. Rude customers need to be put in their place. They do not own the place. If security was not called the police definately should have been. Dont let asses like this guy get you down.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have called the police and had the gentleman banned from the property without any hesitation. NO ONE disrespects a member of any staff that I manage period. If you do not back up your staff and go to bat for them you will lose thier respect and they will not feel appreciated. This person had no right acting the way he did. He should have been dealt with. If other customers see this type of thing and nothing is done about it they may not feel safe in your theatre. Not dealing with an obviously out of control individual who has threatened a staff member, attempted to destroy property, and stolen items is management done horribly horribly wrong.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true. THe situation could warrent the police but it could take upwards of 20 minutes for the cops to show up depending on your area. It is up to management and security to keep the situation under control. Sometimes a situation can defuse its self without having to put yourself, your security, your employees and your custumers in a dangerous situation. You have to remember you don't underestimate anyone. If you confront these situations be prepared for the unexpected.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2003 01:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was managing theaters I always stood behind my employees. That guy (like many I encountered in my days) would've gotten a nice public removal from the theater by me...and I'm not exactly 7 feet tall and menacing either. If the patron was beyond what I felt I could handle, then there are other options such as letting him into the movie and calling the police behind his back to boot his butt out of there. [evil]

It's all part of the job. I worked for some crappy managers when I was young and clearly remember the way they treated the employees. As a result, I always found myself firmly supporting the guys on the front lines. After all, without them there is no theater! A manager simply HAS to back up his staff. If he doesn't, then the staff won't respect him.

Some customers are just assholes. Don't let them get to you.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-13-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the managers I've worked with like to hide in the office nearly 100% of the time. Of course I honestly can't say what goes on since I am in the booth ALL THE TIME... well some of the time.... OK once in a blue moon. They would usually leave the office door open though, but it wasn't anywhere near the box office/registers. But 95% of the time, they were in the office. Shouldn't good managers be roaming around during the sets?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 02:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People can get really hot-headed, especially nowadays. I always try to put things in perspective for them - like - is a movie ticket really worth getting arrested for? Depending on the situation I try to judge the outcome and what is the best way to handle it. After all, customers usually will calm down and become return customers depending on HOW A SITUATION IS HANDLED, NOT WHAT CAUSED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. The only exception is when alcohol is involved, or the person is beligerent.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-13-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree totally with Sean's assessment. We back up our staff 100%. In return, we ask only that they act within their training. We don't want to be embarassed by finding out (after the fact) that we went to bat for the employee, only to find that the staff member had gone past his/her training and had done something stupid without asking first. Our responsibility is to make sure we're available to deal with anything the employee isn't sure about. Past that however, if our staff is taking crap from a "member of the public", we tend to deal with the problems short and fast.

A customer is always the customer, but they are NOT always "right", and we don't let them abuse us or our staff on that "all-encompansing" generic premise.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear what Brad is saying I have dealt with many many "guests" who felt they could break every single rule of proper moviegoing. I have confronted every single person i caught in my theatres breaking our rules. It may not be a good thing but I am not really afraid of anyone. I have been threatened to have my house burned down, my family murdered, my ass kicked etc. etc. but I dont back down from these people if need be I will excuse myself and call the police. If i had to throw you out from my theatre once you were never allowed back. period. I would have the police get your name and adress and I would send certified mail a letter stating that you were not allowed to enter out private property and if you did you would be arrested and prosecuted for trespassing. If the person was under 18 I would send it "To The Parents Of..." I dont imagine that I would be able to remember everyone but I figure if someone came back in they would be on thier best behavior so as not to get noticed. I never had another problem from anyone that I handled in that matter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2003 04:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't want to be embarassed by finding out (after the fact) that we went to bat for the employee, only to find that the staff member had gone past his/her training and had done something stupid without asking first.
Oh absolutely! I should've clarified that in my post. Fortunately for me bad employees were pretty rare. Being we always tried to treat them fairly and with respect, we tended to get a good crew all working as a big team together. Of course it helped that we were not "forcing" respect by using the old "Mr.White" and such. We held a laid back friendly first name basis with our employees and I can't think when it ever backfired on us. It also helped that when we needed new hires, we went to the employees and said "do you have any friends who would like to work here?" Generally good employees hung out with other quality people. [Smile]

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 05:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea- the certified letter warning of prosecution for trespass. thanks

- Kevin

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 07:01 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is basically what I used...

----------
Dear (Persons Name)

Please be aware that due to your actions on (date of incident) you are no longer welcome to enter the private property located at (address) the (theatre name) Theatre. If you are witnessed entering the property you will be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespassing.

Thank You,

---------
When you recieve the reciept from the post office file it along with a copy of the letter you will need it to prove that you "trespassed" this person in the event that they return.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would a merchant need an ID in order to accept a customer's credit card? If the card is stolen, doesn't the liability rest with the credit card company and not the merchant? [Confused]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep it is a stupid question. Hey it's ok for me to buy stolen goods because the origonal owners should have been more careful in protecting their property and it's insured any way. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: