Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 70mm shows for 2003 in York (u.k.)

Author Topic: 70mm shows for 2003 in York (u.k.)
Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a list of all 70mm shows screening at City Screen in York for all you 70mm fans out there.

Spartacus 27th July
The Longest Day 3rd August
Cry Freedom 7th September
Indiana Jones- Temple of Doom 11th and 12th Oct
Indiana Jones- Last Crusade 25th and 26th Oct
Earthquake in SENSURROUND 22nd and 23rd Novemeber
Krakatoa East Of Java- 23rd November
Gremlins 13th and 14th December

|  IP: Logged

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could be there for those shows. Sounds like a good time will be had by all

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 06:50 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we aim to please here in York!

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pls define "in sensurround" ?

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 08:32 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, I am glad you said "pls define sensurround" i was wondering if this is the "real thing" I am not old enough to remember when the West End was shaking during earthquake but would love to experience it... Is this the real thing?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-06-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Darren's planning on resurrecting the real thing as far as possible, special subwoofers and all. Now we'll find out just how good a job the architects and builders did! If you hear reports of a cinema, two pubs, a restaurant and a church all going the same way as the tree in my garden, you'll know what happened. Probably best to bring a hard hat...

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sensurround. (Huge F**k off rumble/shaken by audio)
Using an Original Sensuround Generator Card, extra huge subs in the auditorium to give us the rummble/shake etc, and transducers under the seating, to directly use the seating support as a bass driver, this saves on subbs.
Should all work by november!!!
All this equals Sensurround.
Need to speak to Future Projections about Amp's!

Darren

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing “Earthquake” in 70mm and Sensurround at the Empire Theatre, Leicester Square, which was equipped with three Philips DP70 projectors, then on carbon arcs and changeovers! The Sensurround 'QUAKE' effect together with the six track magnetic stereo sound was just god almighty awesome. The pressure I felt on my chest was only just bearable for me. When the first earthquake was over, it was most amusing to see almost the whole audience lighting up their cigarettes, which caused considerable nervous laughter. Quite an experience I shall never forget.

If you could have come down to Cranleigh a month ago Darren, you would have got a good idea what Sensurround was like, with the demolition of my old cinema, the ground really rumbled. You can just about see the projection room and projection ports almost centre of the two large ports. To the left was where the rewind benches were. [Eek!]
 -

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-06-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Photoshop out that JCB and you've got the ideal poster... come and see Earthquake if you dare! [Big Grin]

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 11:34 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earthquake may also be played in sensurround on the same day, 22nd or 23rd of November in Germany as a dual re-lauch with my self- 'City Screen' and 'Cineplex' in Frankfurt Germany.
Darren

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask again - define your reproduction of "sensurround" ! My car has a good sub bass and a nice wide windscreen - can I call it "Todd AO" ?

Pete

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well as THX is now badging car audio products I don't see why not!

Seriously, I do think it's possible to be too purist at times. If The Robe is projected using a different type of anamorph to an original 1952 Hypergonar, would you say that it isn't being truly shown in CinemaScope? Or if a print of Oklahoma is run on a projector which isn't a DP-70 is that not Todd-AO, even though the picture on the screen looks to all intents and purposes identical to if original equipment were being used?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 04:36 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if the end result is the same regardless of the equipment used, you can call it the same as the original.
Herbert in Germay is using original Cerwin Vega subs, I have sourced brand new Tannoy subs to use. The spec of the new subs matches the criteria of the originals, and are probably more efficent.
The sensurround effect sub-bass will be generated by a re-built sensurround generator card. So the end result will be the same experience as seeing Earthquake in 1974.
THe 70mm print has the Sensurround control tones on it, that will trigger the sub-bass card on and off.
All in all Sensurround wil be alive and well in November 2003

Darren

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: