Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Books authored about the inside of the film industry

Author Topic: Books authored about the inside of the film industry
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a book or even a novel in disguise that you recommend on :

Movie Production
Studio affairs
Theatre Management
Film Accounting
Film Marketing
Film Censorship
Politics in FIlms
Independent film making
Insider accounts on all or any of the above

For the sake of simplicity, let us leave out the technical kind of books like the ones on sound, cinematography or the like.

Also, let us leave out books that serve as references like the ones published by the American Film Institute.

Also, let us leave out books that speak of the previous times and discuss about books that deal with the present years.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "The Movie Business Book" ... should be required reading for everyone in this business. It helped me understand the realities of the business and marketplace before I jumped in head first.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"King of Cannes" by Stephen Walker. It's a very well-written account of the attempts of four film-makers or would-be film-makers to sell their films (or scripts) at the 1998 Cannes film festival. Highly recommended, especially for those who know how crazy this business can be.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-27-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked reading biographies of people like William Castle and Roger Corman. Great insight into the way the business is/was, and how they broke into it.
[edit]...oops, sorry, you didn't want old stuff. Never mind.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently reading "Who Killed Hollywood ? .... And Put The Tarnish On Tinseltown".

"Who Killed Hollywood?"

A remarkable book this is. The Bookstore here in Bangalore had to specially import this book for me. Peter Bart comes across as a spectacular insider out there - in Hollywood.

I plan next to read "GROSS" by the same author. It is really wonderful that there are people in Hollywood to write about what happens in the inside.

Also, I am slightly surprised to see few responses to this post. Are forum members here not so well read when it comes to these kind of books ?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 06:28 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello he Lied by Lynda Obst( producer of Sleepless in Seattle ) is an insider view from the producer's point of view. ISBN 0-316-62211-7. Walt Disney, Dark Prince of Hollywood by Mark Eliot is a more realistic appreciation of the man, flaws and all, than the usual gushy studio portrait. ISBN 1-55972-174-X. Another book by Mr. Bart, a former studio executive and now editor of Variety, Fade Out about the fall from grace of the studio MGM. ISBN 0-688-08460-5. I have over 400 technical, business history, biography books in Cinema and Production but I have been thinning them out slighty since my new house does not have enough room for a dedicated library. Any good local books on Bollywood?

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dbborton.com/home.htm

The Gilda Liberty mystery series take place at a theatre based on my theatre. The picture of the theatre on her website is mine. They are a lot of fun to read.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHEN THE SHOOTING STOPS: A Film Editor's Story
by Ralph Rosenblum andRobert Karen

This first-person account reveals the sometimes difficult relationship between film editor and director. Set against the history of the editor's art and skilled craft, it sheds light on the myriad creative decisions that an editor makes and how they affect the emotional impact of a film. The author relates to some of the famous directors he worked with, whether SOBs or angels, and explores some of the great films he edited.
A great read, published in 1979 and reprinted in softcovered edition in the 90's I bought the hardcovered ed. as a library discard, and the pb new from www.Amazon.com

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-07-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This book is available at Amazon.com and will give you some insight on the evil side of our business.

Indecent Exposure: A True Story of Hollywood and Wall Street by David McClintick (Author)

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-09-2003 02:29 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about good fiction about theatres?

I either leant my copy to Aaron Sismore, or it's in a box somewhere. But "Flamingo Rising" is a great little tale about a guy who grew up on a Drive-In in Florida... there's some love story in there somewhere I think, but the tales of the Drive-In made me warmer and fuzzier than any love story ever could.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across this thoroughly researched material :

On the silver screen
Hollywood movies that feature big-name stars do not necessarily attract big-time profits, according to a study conducted by S. Abraham Ravid, a Rutgers business professor at the Faculty of Management in Newark. Ravid's paper, "Information, Blockbusters and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," forthcoming in the Journal of Business, sampled 200 films from the early 1990s to see if star power correlated to higher revenues and a higher return on investments.
"Stars don't determine anything -- there's no evidence that they're good for movies in terms of revenue or return on investments," he said. "Stars aren't bad for you, you're not going to lose anything by having them in a film, but you're not going to gain anything either."

The study also found that a movie's success wasn't determined by the type of critical reviews it received. "The quality of the review did not matter," Ravid said. "A good review or a bad review did not affect the revenue or the return on investment." The number of reviews, however, did matter. The more reviews a movie generated -- whether positive or negative -- the better the movie fared.

One result that Ravid found surprising is that movies rated G proved more successful than movies with other ratings. "Although G movies only represent 2 percent to 3 percent of movies released annually, these movies that appeal to the entire family are usually very successful," he said.

[URL=www.fhk.eur.nl/evenementen/acei2002/ InvitedPapers/AbrahamRavid.pdf]Movie Accounting and related issues[/URL]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: