Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Negotiating on Long-Waits

Author Topic: Negotiating on Long-Waits
Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of negotiating a 140 seat theatrette for arthouse operations.
The space is currrently set up for functions and preview screenings, and has all the basics there. As part of the lease the seats are to be upgraded (by landlord) and we are putting in a new screen, and some sound gear.
The projection gear is owned by a 3rd party.
I would like to politely like to answer the following concern "...films could be run on larger reels (6ft?) {sic}. ??? said for this to happen the spindles and gearing ratios would need to be changed. If these are changed, they will not take the 2000ft reels we use"
How do i politely say that this concern is a sky-hook, left-handed screwdriver, long weight or tin of barberpole paint and that it is beneath answering?
As far as i am aware the changes to spindle arms for 6000' reels will not necessarily mean that 2000' reels can't be used.
Or do i just be blunt and say stop jerking me around and get with the program?
Any way i hope it causes you all the same amusement it gave me and hopefully can give me some ideas.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-26-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused here. Are they trying to say that they have a pile of 2000' reels with 5/16" shafts and another pile of 6000' reels with 1/2" shafts and that they only want to buy one set of spindles for their reel arms?

[Confused]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-26-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be helpful if you could describe your machines a bit more, because there are several combinations you could consider. If you're using 2000' reels and magazines, you COULD use 6000 footers with the same spindle size if you really want to.

In any case, you'd need to replace your reel arms & takeup belts (to accommodate the larger size), get a supply of reels and set your bench up to handle them. Hopefully, your machines are slow-starters.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 11:09 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, where is the theatrette, need anything?

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm reading his message correctly, I think he wants to know if he goes from 2000 foot reels to 6000 foot reels would they have to change spindles and the tension on the takeup.
If you stay with the 5/16 inch holes the answer is no. If your 6000 foot reels are 1/2 inch and the 2000s are the smaller holes the obvious answer is different spindles.
As stated earlier, you'll need to get arms that will handle a 24-26 inch reel.

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clear the confusion.
The machines in question are Cinemeccccancanaca Vic 9's (oops got carried away), with 5/16 spindles. Installed with Dolby digital and DTS penthouse readers. They still have original spindle arms etc for 6000' reels. the current owners only ever use 2000' reels for film preview work only.
When they were installed in their current booth there was a problem with the take up not running properly at the start of a 2000' reel and "there was a gearing change made to correct the problem" (from the projectionist).
My assumption is this means the take up speed was increased to allow for a smaller hub size on the 2000' reels.
Thus the real (reel?) question is - will the machines still run 6000' reels without damage to either the machine or more importantly the film.

sorry about the confusion caused by the original post but the process of getting this far in this project has been fustrating.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my solution:
Why don't you take a bunch of old trailers or useless film of some kind and try to take up with those larger 6000 foot reels.
If someone has screwed with the tension to accomadate a 2000 foot reel and the tension is too much you will know without damaging good film. I believe there is tension adjustments on those projectors for both feed out and takeups. (Sorry I'm a platter jockey now and forget those reel to reel setups) There may be someone here that could answer that question about tension adjustments. Hope this helps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: