Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Largest Multiplex? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Largest Multiplex?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-24-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering, but does anyone know what may be the largest mulitplex in North America or the World.
Here in Toronto we have 30 plex AMC. I know in other US cities they are up to 30 for Amc.
Does Anyone know?

|  IP: Logged

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the Toronto Eaton Centre cinemas held that record for a long time. Not sure who does now...

Incidentally, the Capitol 6 here in Vancouver claims their cinema #1 is the largest single theatre in a multiplex anywhere in the world, with a seating capcity of 1,012. I have seen a few things there (Enemy at the Gate was pretty much sold out) but the screen is not significantly larger than you would find in a more modern stadium cinema of much smaller capacity.

Famous Players intends to close the Capitol 6 some time next year.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-24-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been discussing this subject over on the Cinematour Forums as well.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-24-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC built a couple of 30-screen gigaplexes in the Chicago far western and northwestern suburbs when they re-entered this market not that many years back. I think the industry has decided that that was just too manys screens and their most recent new-build here was a downtown Chicago 21-screen megaplex.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the Capitol 6 in Vancouver claiming the largest single multiplex auditorium in the world with 1,012 seats, that claim is patently false. Regal has a multi in Alaska of all places with a 1,200 seat auditorium and I'm sure there are larger out there. Unless they are using a different measurement than seat count?

- Mike

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has two 30 screen MegaPlexes in the Dallas area, But when I work for them for a very short time at AMC Stonebiar I meet the the presedent of AMC and he said that the biggest theaters they would build in the future would only have 24 sreens or less the 30 plexes lose money because they are just to big to run.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Belgian exhibitor Kinepolis also has a 25-plex in Madrid (Spain) containing one 1000-seater and two 700-seater auditoria. With a total of over 9000 seats, it recently entered the Guiness book of world records for having the largest seating capacity.

I'd be curious to know whether there is a multiplex with more than 30 screens somewhere in the world?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-25-2003 02:34 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me size has nothing to do with screencount. It's all about square footage. The facility I work at is about 64,000 sq ft for 15 theatres.

I once saw pictures of a megaplex in Canada that had the worlds highest screencount. The auditori looked to be no more then 10 ft wide!

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 06:27 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The multiplex with the most screens in the UK, was the Warner Village Star City 30-screen in Birmingham, although I think this may have recently been reduced to 20 screens, or else it is planning to be.

The largest auditorium in Europe belongs to the Odeon Leicester Square, which has a capacity just shy of 2000.

Our chain tends to go for less, larger screens at one location rather than more smaller screens. For example, many of our 8's would probably end up as 10's under different operators.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 06:45 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star City did close at least nine screens and I believe the equipment went to equip the new Warner site in Edinburgh

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 06:46 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star City ,or Stab City as it is known locally,did close at least nine screens and I believe the equipment went to equip the new Warner site in Edinburgh.

Frank Aston should be able to confirm this I think.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-25-2003 07:16 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's "Theater on the Ridge" seats over 2000 and has TWO projection rooms. The original room is located above the balcony, and has a pair of DP70 35mm/70mm projectors purchased from the Riviera Theatre in Rochester before it was demolished and a pair of EASTMAN Model 25 projectors for 16mm. The new projection room has a near-zero angle to the center of the new 25 x 63 foot Harkness Hall Matte White Plus MP screen, and is used as a projection lab for both film and digital projection.

http://www.harknesshall.com/n0600_6.htm

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/annualReport01/proxy/map.shtml

The size and "footprint" of the auditorium is very similar to the new Kodak Theatre in Hollywood:

http://www.kodaktheatre.com/information.asp

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Landmarks/KodakTheatre.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/news/kodakTheatre.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/images/en/motion/news/complex.jpg

and the USC Digital Projection Lab at the Entertainment Technology Center (ETC) on Hollywood Boulevard:

http://www.etcenter.org/DCL.asp

No plans to split the theatre and turn it into a megaplex with many small screens. [Wink]

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 07:39 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greater Union in Australia has a 30 screen complex in Marion in South Australia.

Supposedly all stadium seating, although I have no idea of the largest house size.

regards
Steve Brown

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

Indeed The Capitol #1 is a huge auditorium, I was disappointed in it's screen size. I was expecting alot bigger. It's apparently equipped for 70MM, and the masking to the left and right could be hiding a much larger screen.

Have you been to the Park Cinema on Cambie? That was a big 70mm house back in the 80's and has seating for about 600. I haven't been there myself, I wonder how big the screen it there?

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet been to the Park...just haven't had anything I want to see yet. I understand the projectors are some original DP-70s, though I have not seen anything 70mm advertised there since Alliance/Atlantis took it over.

Disappointing is definitely the word for Capitol #1. I seem to remember emergency exits on either side of the screen that would prevent it from getting much larger than it was. I much prefer #7 across the street at the Granville 7. Its also 70mm capable (w/ a Vic 8) but the screen seems much larger. I'm sure they don't mask it down for 35. Smaller auditorium though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: