Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Paramount Yanks "Tomb Raider" Sequel from Regal Theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Paramount Yanks "Tomb Raider" Sequel from Regal Theatres
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Risking a potentially harmful battle with the nations largest theatre chain , Paramount Pictures said Wednesday that it will not book its upcoming Lara Croft Tomb Raider sequel, in 47 of the chain's multiplexes after Regal refused to permit ads for Jeep to be displayed in its theatre lobbies. Regal informed the studio that it will not allow third-party ads in its theatres without compensation.

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/2003/20030619.html#3

[ 06-20-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes down to placing an actual Jeep in the lobby, I would support Regal on their feelings. I think it is going just a little "too far." Theatres are not car dealerships.

Just my opinion....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, note that Regal is opposed to the Jeep ad because they aren't getting PAID for it. Pay them, and I bet they change their mind. [Frown]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Regal should get paid if they do put a motor vehicle on display in a lobby.

I would presume Chrysler is paying Paramount quite handsomely for a promotion like this....

As far as standees and one-sheets....that would be more questionable, especially if it has no ties to the movie. I would have no problem with a picture of a Jeep on the promotion standee for the movie, but that is as far as it would go.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal/UA/Edwards theaters that split product will not play Tomb Raider 2. The title of this thread implies that Regal/UA/Edwards has banned the picture when it has not.

According to the Hollywood Reporter (via Reuters), Regal Entertainment Group has a corporate policy against unpaid product placement by a third party in its theaters. REG saw the Jeep tie-in for Tomb Raider 2 as unpaid product placement by a third party.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I don't think that not showing BoobRaider 2 is going to be a huge loss for Regal.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a more permanent link to the IMDb story:

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/2003/20030619.html#3

(The front page of IMDb's StudioBrief changes each day.)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-20-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Paramount will only let theatres book Tomb Raider if the theatre agrees to park a Jeep in the lobby for some period of time? That's insane! I wonder if this applies to independent theatres, many of whom couldn't fit a Jeep in the lobby at all, even if they removed the concession stand.

I fully agree with Regal on this one. It's onerous enough for the film distributor to demand 90+% of ticket revenue, but to force exhibitors to do stupid promotional tie-ins that have nothing to do with the movie is beyond ridiculous. [Mad]

I can understand requiring movie-related promotional stuff, like displaying posters and/or showing trailers that promote the film itself (and thus benefit exhibitors, too), but forcing theatres to promote unrelated products is terribly unfair.

(Apologies if I misunderstood the article and am over-reacting.)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not enjoy the first "TOMB RAIDERS" film and I have no plans to see the sequel. If Paramount was smart, they will come out ahead if they could get as much theatres to show the film the day it opens because if this film is a 'stinker' like the first film was in my opinion, they will be the loser if the film was indeed bad and create bad word of mouth publicity from the people who saw it during it's opening weekend. I too agree with Regal for standing firm against 3rd party advertising.

-Claude

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what happened to Lara Croft's Land Rover?

I think the old girl is slipping if she has traded her Land Rover in on a Jeep! [thumbsdown] Here's a girl who had a Land Rover, an Aston Martin and a Triumph motorcycle, now she is driving around in a Jeep! Next thing you know, she will be hopping in to my Dodge Minivan. Being an, ass kicking, archeological adventurer must not be paying what it used to.

First James Bond trades his Aston Martin in on a BMW and now this. [Eek!]

She will never be invited to tea with the Queen again.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So who really gives a dam about Regal, Paramount, Toumb Raider, or the "Cheep" anyway????
Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the look of the article, it seems that Paramount should have discussed their Jeep promotion with the chains before promising they could deliver ad space and theatre square footage outside of the normal advertising means. I hate 3rd party advertising with a passion... but this would be an inroad that you can bet the studios would use in the future, replete with the "do it or no booking" hammer. In a sense, it's every bit as dangerous as the notion that a studio might eventually get a percentage of concessions.

For better or worse, Regal thinks they've found a way to make more money at their locations that's not directly related to the studios' licensed product. I can't see how a studio could assume rights to any of that.

As for the movie itself... I think it'll make a great drive-in picture this year! [beer]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I am certainly not a big fan of Regal. Regal probably would wish I would just "dry up and blow away."

But I honestly hope Regal stands firm on this issue. If Regal buckled under pressure, the next thing you will see is some promotion followed by a sales person "taking orders" for their products in a theatre lobby.

I personally think Paramount "crossed the line" on this one....

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they parked a Jeep Rubicon in my theatre, Sean (my assistant manager) would have put 12,000 miles on it and played in the mud the whole time, buy the time they came to pick it back up. Taking the keys and the battery wouldn't slow him down much. Then all the cool Rubicon parts would end up on his Jeep Cherokee.

Then I could hold the Jeep hostage till my advertising fee was covered. I'm thinking that I'd like 10% of my box take. [Big Grin]

Go ahead and park a Jeep in my lobby, I dare you!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-21-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't believe that a film company has a right to impose 3rd party advertising next you could see a deal say requireing exclusive advertising for say coke to play a movie yet your theatre sells pepsi

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: