Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The ADA & Segways? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The ADA & Segways?
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 01:37 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the theatres in the company I work for allowed a customer to come in on one of those newfangled Segways. Apparently it was their 'assisted mobility device'. How do you all feel about this? I think it's total bullshit. I replied in a company email that the day I have to allow some asshole on a Big Wheel because it's his assisted mobility device will be my last day on the job.

I also stated in that email that my sister is a parapalegic and I try to adhere to all ADA laws and regulations and I have no problems with assisting those who need any assistance.

I've never seen a Segway in person but it looks like it could pose a danger to other customers. If so, wouldn't it be like letting someone bring their helper animal in who, for whatever reason, appears to pose a threat to others?

Here's a picture I found of Bush trying to ride a Segway...

-

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-15-2003 04:47 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you seen the newest ADA approved sign? [Big Grin]

-

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 05:05 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that's hilarious! Would you mind emailing that to me, there's a couple theatres in my company I'd like to send that to!

-Mm24fps@yahoo.com

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both are good for a laugh.
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but...

Mathew,
Perhaps the photos tell more about Bush than the Segway?

Mike,
Wouldn't the ADA prefer the spelling ACCESSIBLE?
(I still think of ADA as "Americans for Democratic Action")

--Gerard

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look closely at that picture of the President, you will see that there is some mysterious woman PUSHING him off of the thing, and then in the next panel she is GONE! [Eek!]

Someone needs to investigate.

=TMP=

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-15-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since all you do is lean this way or that way to control it I think they said that anyone with half a brain could operate a Segway.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, it just hit me that at the end of your posts =TMP= must be your intitials - until now I was reading it as The Motion Picture. You know, like Star Trek TMP. Doi.

Anyway, so if anyone with half a brain could operate this why couldn't Bush? Oh, nevermind.

Still, would you let someone ride into the theatre on one? I just don't like the precedent that would set. I don't let people ride their golf carts or unicycles or big wheels or even their rollerblades. Yet, I've never been confronted with anything other than rollerblades and they didn't shout "ADA Violation" in my face at the time either.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-15-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed spelling mistake (Thank you, Mr. Cohen).
Added a few more signs for theatres that want to make sure that they're fully ADA complient, while also maintaining safety for thier other guests.

BTW- ADA is an overused acronym (sp?). A few that come to mind-

ADA - Americans with Disablities Act
ADA - American Dental Association
ADA - American Diabetes Association

-

-

-

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a growing market for these things for use by people who aren't disabled, per se, but who lack the stamina to walk long distances. Frankly, I think it's a good idea.

Just imagine... A person who can't walk more than a short distance might end up in an electric scooter or wheelchair. After a while, they would lose even MORE stamina because they aren't being "forced" to use the muscle power they have. Instead of keeping the little strength they have left, they LOSE strength and become dependant on the chair.

Check the laws/ordinances in your state or town. That guy who invented the Segway is also big into lobbying for ordinances that, in essence, say that a Segway is allowed to go anywhere an electric wheelchair or scooter is allowed to go.

As far as I'm concerned, if the guy isn't causing a disruption let him be, whether there is an ordinance or not. Trying to keep the guy out only creates bad kharma. OTOH, the second they guy starts making a nuissance of himself... running into things or endangering people... I don't care WHAT laws there are against it, I would toss him out!

If this guy is really putting a bug up your ass for some reason, I would mention to him that it is HIS responsibility to operate his Segway in a safe manner that doesn't damage any property or endanger any people. That's the way it is for people who use wheelchairs!

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can a Segways be considered an 'assisted mobility device'. I've seen the commercials and they look hard to use. They look hard to control and stay on, I don't see how anyone can say they assist in transportation.

I agree with you Mathew, they should not be allowed in theatres. If a person can stand up and move his body and control this device, he or she is capable of walking like the billions of us on this planet.

I think that photo was photo-shopped. The girl and the bike must use transporters. [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reportedly, George W. Bush succesfully rode one almost two years ago:

ABC News January 2002

quote:
President Bush Rides Segway

Meanwhile, the Segway caught the attention of the Commander in Chief last week when Kamen joined about 100 friends and backers of President Bush who were invited to a pre-speech reception at the University of New Hampshire.

Kamen was riding a Segway outside the university library, giving rides to a few guests, but Secret Service agents wouldn't let the inventor bring the Segway up to where the President was giving his speech, according to the Union Leader of Manchester, N.H.

During his speech, Bush cited Kamen after he noticed him at the back of the crowd, and later the president chatted with the inventor, who told him he had a Segway downstairs. Secret Service agents quickly brought it up to the floor, and the president rode it around. He picked up how to use it right away, Kamen said.

As for Mr. Malloy's photos, it just wasn't a good Fathers Day weekend for the President. First his golf game gets rained out, then...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Olpin: You gave me my first good out-loud laugh of the day. [Big Grin]

quote:
Since all you do is lean this way or that way to control it I think they said that anyone with half a brain could operate a Segway.

Just like riding a bicycle for the first time, right? [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person has to be able to walk and step up or down (I think) 12 inches to use a Segway. On the other hand, let's say somebody some problem that makes it so they can only walk 100 yards before they need a rest. A Segway would be a perfect solution. You can still get around but you don't have to depend on a wheelchair. If you got into a wheelchair you'd become progressively weaker until you HAD to use it. The Segway allows you to "work" as you are able but doesn't do the "work" for you.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the opportunity to ride a segway last november, its a bit awkward to use at first but after 5 minutes its easier to manuver around than a bicycle. They don't go very fast, so I don't see a danger of running someone over. They're next to impossible to fall off of. The one that Duyah was on in the pics appears to have not been on, because as you lean forward it, moves forward, and the one in the pic didn't move.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have told them that this is not a government certified ADA device (it is not), and that as such, they would need a letter from their doctor (on letterhead) certifying that they need this device to overcome a disability.

If they could produce a legitimate doctors note, I would treat it as I would a wheel chair.

EOP - End Of Problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: