Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Questions about Spy Kids 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Questions about Spy Kids 3D
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-10-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have heared this is going to use the over-under 3D used on "Ghosts of the Abyss". Is that true? And does anyone know if Disney will add more 3D screens to the few that are out there already? I had some guests ask me about it yesterday, and whether or not we would play it. I told them to keep an eye on our website.

Basicly I'm trying to detrmine the likelyhood that my theatre will be able to show it.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Walls
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Walls   Email Andrew Walls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be type that uses the Red/Blue glasses. The projectors will not need the lens modification.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two weeks of screenings of that picture starting July 14th. As of this moment they are D5 screenings.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RED/BLUE?? You mean they're not even using that newer system where the lenses are the same color? (brownish)

Ugh.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand it is not the red/blue glasses and it is not over under but a technique that developed its own left and right eye images on the film that are already converged as if you were using over and under and will use the standard 3-D glasses not the red and blue. Apparently according to Robert Rodregues (? spelling) the 3-D effects turned out very well.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - finally something different........

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is some interesting reading on the subject.

Las Vegas, Nevada ? April 7th 2003 ? At NAB 2003, Softimage Co., a subsidiary of Avid Technology, Inc. announced today that the SOFTIMAGEŽ|XSIŽ software, the industry?s leading nonlinear 3-D production environment, SOFTIMAGE|XSI Batch, the company?s batch processing and rendering solution, and SOFTIMAGE|XSI Batch Serve, the company?s rendering management and automation software are all playing key roles in the making of ?Spy Kids 3D: Game Over.? This third installment of Robert Rodriguez? highly successful children?s movie will feature extensive stereoscopic elements (which will require the audience to wear 3-D glasses) and a host of new CG characters, creatures and vehicles, all of which are being created with the help of Softimage products.

To handle the extreme demands of this project, leading visual effects company Hybride Technologies, whose credits include ?Spy Kids? 1 and 2, ?Napoleon? and ?Art of War,?recently ramped up its already well-equipped Softimage-based facility. Today, Hybride has dedicated over 40 XSI artiststo the ?Spy Kids 3D? project and built a powerful 100 dual CPU render farm based on the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Batch system and managed by the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Batch Serve software to deal with the intense image processing requirements of stereoscopic scenes and the hundreds of CG shots.

Hybride?s President and Co-Founder Pierre Raymond explains:

?The experience we had with Spy Kids 2, which involved 650 VFX shots, was so positive that there was never any doubt in our minds that XSI was the tool of choice for handling even bigger and more challenging projects. ?Spy Kids 3D? is much more demanding than its predecessor, from both a graphical and project management point of view. The new movie involves even more shots, and many of them have to be created in stereoscopy. We?re now several months into production on Spy Kids 3 and we?re on target! From a productivity and creative perspective, SOFTIMAGE|XSI and Batch continue to beat everything else we?ve seen or previously used hands down.?

?Spy Kids 3D: Game Over? will feature a number of new CG characters, creatures and vehicles created with the help of the SOFTIMAGE|XSI production environment as Marc Bourbonnais, Senior Technical Director at Hybride technologies explains:

?We are using XSI to work on the modeling, texture, animation and rigging of all the characters and vehicles of the movie. With features like the Animation Mixer and Synoptic View, together with all the already proven animation tools, we?re finding that all our animators, even those who have no technical background whatsoever, are finding it intuitive, easy to learn and simple to use. These features also make it easier for new animators to come up to speed quickly and focus on their craft.?

?Creating stereoscopic scenes of CG shots has been made a lot easier than we thought, thanks to the amazingly flexible render tree in XSI. Of course with CG shots, you can?t use a special 3-D camera. So what we did was to render each shot twice; the first time as if it were seen from the right eye, and the second time as if it were seen from the left eye and then interleaved the two shots to create the stereoscopic effect,? adds Bourbonnais.

?Spy Kids 3D: Game Over? is scheduled to be released on over 2000 screens in North America on July 25th. The story line takes the spy kids into a virtual-reality video game where anything is possible. Once the characters go into the videogame, the audience puts on the 3-D glasses to enjoy the full experience of the amazing effects and virtual reality sceneries. Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino are reprising their roles as Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez. Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara will return as Carmen and Juni Cortez, and Ricardo Montalban will be the grandfather. This installment will also feature Sylvester Stallone as the villain.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 02:23 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't quite understand this new 3-d method (as described by darryl). i would be intrigued enough to check it out if the movie didn't look so atrocious. i saw a tv spot for it the other day. and it had an audience shot, wearing red/blue glasses. oops!

carl

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-11-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused, too. AFAIK, it's physically impossible to produce a perceived 3D image with glasses without either polarizing or color keying the images.

Hey, Bill ... what the heck are D5 screenings?

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,all!
Have seen special effects shots of Spy Kids 3, Hybride Technologies are about 1 mile away from my theatre, hence they, do all their work on computers, have a 35 print made -up from this, then test on screen in a real movie house, What they are supplying are the two colour glasses, no need for polarized glasses or silver screen on this feature,(seen up to last week) most effects are digital images (Monsters robots etc,) very little live action characters, for what it this, 3 d is reasonably Okay..., nothing to compare with say, Muppet 3d at Disney world.

Tom

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, and there whole explanation in that story I posted makes it sound like something new. I was wondering about how they could do it without polarizing it too. Thought maybe from the way they explained it it was going to be something of interest now I could care less.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
RED/BLUE?? You mean they're not even using that newer system where the lenses are the same color? (brownish)

Small point: If you're talking about polarizing the two images, that was the ORIGINAL way to separate them. Red/green / red/blue came later. If you haven't already, check out the 3d film fest page. [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam

D5 is a Digital Video format with Dolby E encoded soundtrack.

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, we have already received boxes upon boxes of the RED/BLUE glasses for Spy Kids 3D, so that is the format that will be used.

I would look for this one to be similar to Freddy's Dead, where the audience members didn't put the glasses on until a certain part of the movie. Probably only the last 30 minutes or so is actually in 3-D.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I correct in assuming that this process will work on a normal screen and doesn't require the silver screen that polarized (over/under or side-by-side) 3D needs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: