Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » No Memorial Day Opening? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Memorial Day Opening?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the last time that there wasn't some kind of major opening on Memorial Day? I am suprised that Disney didn't push up the opening of Finding Nemo to take advantage of people having that day off (especially kids not having school).

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Bruce Almighty and The In-Laws ?

Don't they count ? [Smile]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be proven wrong, but I really don't consider either of those films a "major" release. Jim Carrey hasn't had a big hit in a while and I don't think that this is going to be it.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal has "Bruce Almighty" going out on 3300+ screens on Friday. Jim Carrey has worked with director before on films like "Liar, Liar" and "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".
The screenings that we have had of this picture. It's funny [Big Grin]

As for the other one its a remake of the 1979 comedy, it could be
a good teaming of Douglas and Brooks. But Warner has it going out on only 2400+ screens.

These comedies are alway good to have around when your other screens are full with people trying to get into see "The Matrix"
& "X2". Or older people who do not like those big Hollywood FX
pictures.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Almighty is a super-saturation release -- Box Office Mojo estimates it will break in 3300+ theaters.

WB is positioning The In-Laws at an older audience. Most theaters now playing A Mighty Wind will drop or double-up that picture to make room.

With the way tentpoles open big and fall off big Finding Nemo may very well open at #1. BV won't move that film up because there's a lot of tie-ins involved.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-20-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Almighty is going to ROCK.

And Jim Carrey hasn't had any hits lately? That's cause he really hasn't been in much lately has he?

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Almighty is tracking about the same numbers as Xmen 2. Don't know what the new terror alert will do to the numbers for the weekend.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the terror alerts will affect numbers overall. I mean, honestly, do any of you take the terror alert into consideration on your day-to-day things? Maybe I'm naive, but the alerts don't do much for me.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Almighty should be about a $50,000,000 3-day opening. The In-Laws is tracking at about $15,000,000.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New York City has been on a terror alert since 9/11. I live and work in Manhattan. My booth is located in Times Square. One of the pubs I go to is located near the Port Authority. They have guards walking around with M-16s. Business is normal here in the Big Apple.

[Eek!] [Eek!] Terror Alert [Eek!] [Eek!]

cheers
[beer] [beer]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited to see Jim Carrey play another crazy role. When I see the trailers I laugh my ass off. We need him to be funny.

As for the "The In-Laws" give me a break. It's not a movie I want to see.

I agree with Steven, the terror alert won't make a difference in the box office. I don't worry about which terro alert we are in, and I can't tell you differance.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-22-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the terror alerts don't effect business in larger regions. But I could see some parts of the country, the parts that really tune in and actually listen to what GWB and his people have to say, I could see them being genuinely concerned.

And there might even be those parts of the country where people ACTUALLY believe that a level BROWN or whatever color we're on actually means terror is about to strike. After all... how many people here actually went out and bought tarp and duct tape thinking it'd save us from chemical weapons?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Then Why choose fear?"

"I'm a New Yorker. Fear's my life."

-from the musical "Rent"

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like I am going to be eating crow after all.

Bruce Almighty Has Record Setting Weekend

Record weekend for movie...

Jim Carrey's Bruce Almighty has broken records as the best non-sequel comedy opening of any movie ever, and the second best Memorial Day weekend opening of all time.

According to Exhibitor Relations, which tracks film box office figures, the three-day Friday through Sunday estimates show earning $70.8 million while with the Monday Memorial Day estimates, the movie can capture $86.4 million.

Far behind is the second-place Matrix Reloaded winner of last week, which fell 60 percent and earned $36.8 million in three days and $45.6 million over the four-day holiday with a total cumulative box office domestically of $209 million.

The In-Laws which is a remake starring Albert Brooks and Michael Dougas, came in fifth place at $9.1 million over the entire holiday weekend.

If estimates hold, according to Exhibitor Relations, this Memorial Day weekend could be the best ever, with a $193 million box office compared to $191 million for the top 12 films over the four days last year.

This is also Carrey's personal best as well. He previously opened Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas at $55 million in November 2000 and Batman Forever at $51 million in the summer of 1995.

The previous Memorial Day record holder is The Lost World: Jurassic Park IIin 1997 which earned $72 million in three days and $90 million in four.

Credit: Billboard.com

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per Box Office Mojo, Bruce Almighty opened to an estimated $86.396M for the holiday weekend. The Matrix Reloaded dropped 50 percent in its second week even with the holiday. WOW!

Reading Cinemas in Manville did not open X2 or Bruce Almighty. Today I asked a manager why not and he said "We didn't get that film". I told him his theater was in a free zone. He gave me the same answer as before. Methinks Reading has big problems with Fox and now with Universal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: