Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Too many Trailers article from the St. Paul paper (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Too many Trailers article from the St. Paul paper
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was interesting..
Posted on Sun, May. 11, 2003

Previews are here to stay, so deal with it
BY CHRIS HEWITT
Pioneer Press

When John Woodworth sat down at the Carmike Oakdale theaters to watch the second "Lord of the Rings" movie, he was delighted to watch a trailer first. And another trailer. But, by the time he got to the 14th one, he was less delighted.

"People were groaning, lifting one cheek up, moving around in their seats, little kids wailing. If there had been dogs, they'd have been barking," jokes Woodworth, a Woodbury resident who says he enjoys seeing a few trailers (also known as previews of coming attractions). "You could actually see people thinking, 'OK, the movie will start after this one.' But, no, here comes another trailer."

Actually, Brian Graham, city manager of the Oakdale theater, says Woodworth only saw eight trailers but, combined with ads and other pre-movie teasers, he acknowledges it could have added up to 14 things to groan through before the movie started. He also says "Lord of the Rings" was an unusual case, because so many people saw it that Carmike officials (who dictate which trailers will be shown when) wanted to make sure audiences took in previews for a bunch of other upcoming movies. Eight, to be exact.

Woodworth vowed never to return to that theater, but he has, and he says the number of trailers has been smaller (and Oakdale is not the only theater showing lots of trailers; it just happens to be the one he visited).

But Woodworth says that, no matter what theater he goes to, "Twenty minutes of nonmovie stuff is uncalled for. It's risky to pull off something like that, because people are timing the movie along with needing to rush off to pick up the kids or meet somebody afterwards or start dinner, and that's hard to do when you're sitting there for 20 extra minutes."

HOW MANY IS TOO MANY?

Hugh Wronski, city manager of Landmark Theaters, agrees. "I love trailers, but I think it's diminishing returns after four or five of them. And I hate onscreen advertising. It's awful. I think people should bug theaters about that."

Wronski says he occasionally gets complaints about the content of trailers, but Graham and other managers say they don't hear many beefs about the number. In any case, movie trailers aren't going away.

"It's the strongest marketing tool at a studio's disposal," says Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations, which compiles national movie-going statistics. "They've done surveys that indicate that moviegoers absolutely love trailers. But there is a point at which it becomes too much."

What is that point? What number of trailers is optimal, and what number results in trailer fatigue?

"As a corporation, our magic number is no more than three," says Pam Margolis, who handles trailers for the 13 Mann Theaters in Minnesota, including St. Paul's Grandview. "We think people do like to watch them, but they came to see a movie, not a half-hour of trailers."

At Landmark theaters, which include the Uptown and Lagoon in Minneapolis, Wronski says the number was four, but it's going up to five. And Graham, at Carmike's Oakdale, says it used to be five, but it's going up to six. In each case, theater managers say they make an effort to assure that the trailers will appeal to the people at each specific movie.

"Theaters do try to play appropriate trailers," says Dergarabedian. "It's not like the old days, where you'd go to a family movie and see an R-rated trailer."

APPROPRIATE PAIRINGS

In general, trailers show up before movies for two reasons: The studio releasing the movie you are seeing can attach a trailer or two for one of its own upcoming movies to each print it distributes to theaters. Or the theater chain (not usually the individual theater) can show trailers for upcoming films it plans to play.

Mann's Margolis says she tries to pair up trailers with movies "that will be shown in our locations and that have appropriate ratings. My feelings is, 'Why show an R-rated trailer to an audience that can't see the movie?' It's a problem because, if I have a G-rated movie showing, sometimes I don't even have one G-rated trailer to show before it." Her theaters are currently showing the "Finding Nemo" trailer a lot, not only because she's a fan of that particular preview but also because it's family-friendly.

Wronski says the same thing is happening in his theaters with the trailer for "Spellbound," a documentary about the National Spelling Bee. It's getting a lot of play because it's for a G-rated movie, which means it can play to all audiences. He also tries to pair up trailers by theme, so audiences at the comedy "A Mighty Wind" can expect to see trailers for upcoming comedies.

By art-house standards, "A Mighty Wind" is a blockbuster, and that's another element theater managers have to deal with: pressure from studios to show their trailers before the hottest films. This week, every studio wanted their previews shown with "The Matrix Reloaded," which is why, if you go to that film, you'll probably see more than the usual number of trailers. In fact, trailers are such big business that local and national firms are employed to go from theater to theater, making sure they're actually showing the trailers they say they're showing.

HOW TO MISS THE TRAILERS...

'It's very political. With these blockbusters, the studios really care about getting placement of their trailers. It's huge exposure, if you think about how big the opening weekends are for some of these films. And it's a captive audience of people in a dark room with no distractions," notes Wronski. Last weekend, for instance, about 25 million people saw "X2." That's 50 million eyes that every studio wanted to make sure saw commercials for their upcoming blockbusters.

Margolis felt the pressure that created: "Twentieth Century Fox shipped 10 trailers with 'X-2.' Usually, when these movies come in, they're shipped with two to six trailers."

Mann theaters didn't show all 10 of those trailers that Fox wanted shown with "X-2," and folks like Woodworth can be thankful for that. But what if you'd prefer not to see any trailers? Is there a way to avoid them? Probably not.

"Our new strategy is if the movie starts at 7:30, we leave the house at 7:30," says Woodworth, who usually attends movies with his wife, Denise, and kids. "It takes 15 to 20 minutes to get there, which means we miss 15 to 20 minutes of stuff before the movie."

Woodworth says the strategy works; he has never missed the beginning of a movie, and he usually arrives in time to see a trailer or two. But experts say Woodworth is playing a dangerous game.

... OR THE START OF THE MOVIE

Woodworth doesn't see movies the first couple of weeks they're in release. If he did, he'd find that popular show times are often sold out, especially for people who arrive 15 or 20 minutes after the movie was supposed to begin. Graham also notes that latecomers run the risk of getting: (a) lousy seats and (b) sore necks.

"Sometimes, if you show up after the trailers have started, all that's left is the front rows. Lots of people don't want to sit that close," notes Graham.

Even if you don't mind sitting in Craned Neckland, you may not be able to get away with showing up 20 minutes late. At a long movie like "Gods and Generals," for instance, Margolis said there might not have been any trailers shown, because theaters were trying to fit in four showings a day of the four-hour movie, and they also needed half an hour between showings to clean up theaters. That left no time for previews, which means latecomers to "Gods and Generals" would have missed the first couple of Civil War massacres entirely.

If, like Woodworth, you regularly visit the same theater, you may be able to get a sense of how much time you have to play with and plan accordingly. But if you really don't want to see previews, the only foolproof way to make sure you get the seats you want and that you don't miss anything is this one: Bring a book and park yourself out in the hall until you hear the movie beginning.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-17-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last weekend, for instance, about 25 million people saw "X2." That's 50 million eyes that every studio wanted to make sure saw commercials for their upcoming blockbusters.
That's about the stupidest way of exaggerating a figure that I've ever seen!

There are other problems with the theory this guy is using in an attempt to miss trailers.

*If he is seeing the last show of the day, often managers will start (or have it started) earlier than normal because they are on salary and if they get out of there 10 minutes earlier it won't affect their paycheck.

*If he is seeing an older movie and it doesn't sell a ticket, then this doofus shows up 20 minutes later, many theaters don't run the show past 10 minutes after showtime if there is no one in attendance. By starting the show for this late fellow, it screws up the rest of the day's showtimes.

This seems like an awful lot of effort just to get out of watching previews. I think the problem here is the advertisements, not the previews themselves. Also, anything more than 5 trailers to me is just plain excessive. I prefer 3, 4 is good, 5 is acceptable...but no more.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what's with FOX lately and their stupid "Stuck On You/LXG" combo trailers they're attatching? Sure, it's only one attatchment, but the audience sees TWO trailers.

Our policy is: Commercials + 6 trailers + attatched + policy + digital.

So, with X-men 2, people were treated to 4 commercials, 8 trailers (2 attached) and then the policy and digital trailers.

FOURTEEN ADVERTISEMENTS before the movie you paid to see. Running time of this ad-blitz: 22 minutes.

=TMP=

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got rid of my TV [Smile] so I can live with 4-5 trailers in front of the feature.

Sometimes a theater gets imaginative in setting up trailers. Yesterday brought me to the AMC Empire for The Dancer Upstairs. The trailer sequence was How to Deal, 2 Fast 2 Furious [Big Grin] , The Shape of Things.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 3 trailers are perfect. But Ky insists on running 4 trailers. If I see three trailers, I might be able to remember the name of one of them. If I see 4 trailers, I will not remember any of the names.

As for people who arrive late to avoid "Advertising" I tell them, we have 3-trailers and that's about 6-minutes. If you come 10-minutes late, you're late.

Every ShoWest and Show East produces a trailer disc. It's an hour to an hour and a half worth of trailers. I always sit down and watch it but it shure takes a toll. Thank God for the pause button.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time not so long ago when preview trailers were shown to advertise the theatre's next booking(s), and were preceeded by a PREVUES OF COMING ATTRACTIONS trailer and some daters to prompt the audience. Of course, those were the days of title curtains, and, what was it called...oh yes, SHOWMANSHIP. I'll bet when Bob Allen opens his single-screen changeover carbon arc showplace in Oregon, he will revive this practice.

Meanwhile, enjoy the embarrassment of riches at your local megaplex. [Wink]

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree that more than 4 is too much. But people can be so stupid at the same time. Many times, the same genetic defectives that complain the most about too many trailers are the same ones that you see sitting in a fast food resturant counting holes in the ceiling for hours. WTF???!!! [Roll Eyes]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott. Four is enough!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four is my limit, and even that is stretching it. Strange, I can remember what previews I saw from movies way back in the 60's, but can't begin to tell you today. In the single screen era where I grew up, a first-run and second-run theatre each showed three previews: the following double-feature atraction, and one coming soon. The other two first runs oftentimes showed no previews, and when they did were a maximum of two. The first two multiplexes in town never showed previews before a SCOPE picture, and maybe one of two before a flat feature. Even the first-runs I visited in San Francisco and Los Angeles oftentimes went without previews 9there was only one before STAR WARS at the Chinese, a 35mm shortie for THE WORLD's GREATEST LOVER, shown in 35mm 1.33!)

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This argument could go round and round forever. I cast my vote with consistency. If you come to our theatre, we advertise a "showtime". Trailers start five minutes before that "showtime". You can expect the feature to come onscreen anywhere from five to eight minutes after that showtime. Our previews and policy are a minimum of ten minutes, and a maximum of thirteen.

So...if you want to see trailers, be in your seat five minutes before the advertised "showtime". If you don't, come five minutes after "showtime" and you will suffer through a maximum of ONE. We have promotional slides before the trailers, but no on-screen advertising on film. Show up 20 minutes after showtime because you don't want to see trailers and you're [bs] out of luck.

I don't know that there is a right and wrong about how many trailers, but whatever you decide, just make it your policy and stick with it. Mr & Mrs John Q Public will figure it out for themselves.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would go back to the one-minute "teasers" - some of the previews run more than 2-1/2 minutes.

With some of the crap Hollywood is putting out, you see the preview, you saw the whole movie. [Eek!]

....and some of the preview's dialog sounds like it was narrated by some dude with a pinched hemorrhoid! [Big Grin]

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I worked for, in addition to only having three trailers (plus the Coke trailer) we were instructed that "Feature Time was Feature Time". Meaning if you had 7 minutes of trailers, you hit the start button seven minutes before the listed start time, so all print times were accurate. At first, customers were quite unhappy about being late to the movie, but the good comments were far more common than the bad ones. The only problem I had was remembering what time I needed to start each show!

[ 12-28-2003, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Nate Lehrke ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
make it your policy and stick with it. Mr & Mrs John Q Public will figure it out for themselves.
You're giving them too much credit. We've been running the same # of trailers (4 or 5) for oh, about 25 years now, and we still get people who come in 25 or 30 minutes past showtime and say "The movie hasn't started yet, has it?" or my favorite, "I haven't missed anything important, have I?"

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Said:

You're giving them too much credit. We've been running the same # of trailers (4 or 5) for oh, about 25 years now, and we still get people who come in 25 or 30 minutes past showtime and say "The movie hasn't started yet, has it?" or my favorite, "I haven't missed anything important, have I?"

Guess you could go by that old addage:

Ignorance is correctable. Stupid is forever. [Smile]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I see three trailers, I might be able to remember the name of one of them. If I see 4 trailers, I will not remember any of the names.
This week the AMC Hamilton is playing Dirty Pretty Things and Le Divorce. The trailer pack for Le Divorce I recall from memory: Shaolin Soccer, Master & Commander, Mystic River, American Splendor. The trailer pack for Dirty Pretty Things has 2 Miramax titles that I can't recall, Under the Tuscan Sun, Elf, Passionada.

FWIW, Shaolin Soccer will be released in Mandarin with subtitles yet the trailer I saw is dubbed into English.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: