Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Will MATRIX RELOADED beat Spider-man's record opening ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Will MATRIX RELOADED beat Spider-man's record opening ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a LA times brief for MATRIX RELOADED :

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-fi-matrix13may13.story

I also believe and wish this movie near 150 Million USD till sunday night.

Your take ?

|  IP: Logged

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF they dont factor in thursday, no it won't beat it.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure that Thursday's numbers are going to count as far as the opening weekend goes. Not only that, we were told that we are not suppose to report tonight's nunmbers (the 10:00 shows) until tomorrow night. And judging by all the advance tickets that we have already sold, I think that it is a safe bet that Spiderman's opening record is as good as gone.

Going by all these damn prints that were relesed, I can't wait to see what the studios do for the next movie that will try to break this record. [Roll Eyes]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again- everyone gets sucked into the opening weekend hype. Exactly what the majors want! Talk to me three or four weeks down the road. Could we be on the verge of another Pearl Harbor? Matrix Reloaded is tracking about the same.

What we need is product with legs like Grable!

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you are forgetting is that Matrix is rated R.
With the crack-down on under-17 getting in to R, that cuts out a huge part of the crowd that went to see Spiderman.

So I don't think Matrix will be anywhere near Spiderman.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say no it won't beat Spiderman.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-15-2003 01:22 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say it will. [beer]

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a record of sorts that this movie is taking to screens as early as at 10 pm wednesday night.

Starting with wedesday night and ending on the sunday night, I believe this movie should have no difficulty in reaching the 150 Million USD mark. However, in order to determine whether this film exceeds the record set by Spiderman, I consider the performance on the Thursday, Friday and the Saturday ought to be considered.

The fact that this movie has secured an R seems to have done nothing to the excitement bubbling everywhere on the internet. In this respect, I bet that internet today acts as the greatest tool available to the studios and reach ever wider audiences.

And reviews that have come on the internet have played down the significance of the R and seem to prescribe less caution. That the first Matrix has come to be more appreciated in the years after its release, that very appreciation also acts to bring down the possible significance of the R rating. Very very few people would consider MATRIX RELOADED with the same degree of caution they would exercise over a movie like HANNIBAL. Therefore, the R mark cannot have much of an impact on the performance of this movie - at the most, the impact thereon must be very marginal.

I wonder why the studio in this case would instruct theatres not to report the earnings for the wednesday until after thursday.

In any case, as an answer to the question posed here, my take is hereby reaffirmed - MATRIX RELOADED will beat the Spider-man's record opening.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the film grosses are calculated for the Fri, Sat and Sun dates, These are always consistent.

Of course, the studio will state the gross for 'n' days to show off.
Also, there will be news stories that 'X' title pulled in 'Y' dollars over a 'n' day period.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love reading the articles about box office reciepts on the weekend after a major release. "Matrix did not beat Spiderman's 3-day record, but when you factor in blah blah blah....36% of the audience were female, 60% were male....this is 12% higher than last week and 5% higher than the year-ago period...."

I wonder how much that job pays to gather and analyze all that crap that few people care about. [Wink]

Oh, and no, it won't beat Spiderman's 3-day record. They only count Fri, Sat & Sun in the weekend numbers, the only exception being Holiday weekends. Not even either of the Star Wars had its Wednesday/Thursday numbers counted into the weekend.

=TMP=

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening gross is the only thing that matters. If it doesn't beat Spiderman, then the movie must be crap and therefore a worse movie than Spiderman and I probably won't waste my time seeing it. I didn't care for Spiderman too terribly much, but it is the best movie ever made due to its opening groos which, as I said, is the only thing that matters.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-15-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Joe, you are correct. [Roll Eyes]

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I get a feeling that some people actually do resent to see a film reach new heights. I wonder why it is so..

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think "Matrix" will come close to "Spiderman's" opening weekend of $114,844,116. "Spiderman's" opening day was $39,406,872.

I hate that most people put so much hype into opening weekends. Who really cares. What matters how well the movie does the 3rd and 4th weekend.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know it that I am seeing a lot of the same people here tonight to see the Matrix that were here last night for the 10:00 shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: