Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Going from second run to first run... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Going from second run to first run...
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been asked to find out about this. It's not something we could do any time soon for financial reasons.

How possible would it be for a 2nd run student cinema to become first run. Besides having to have a council cinema license etc, would film companies consider renting us first run films for just one or two showings?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea but no chance. If you want to go on a distributors first run list, you need to show good trading figures, and basically how much you could make them. Normal rentals on release prints are 50 to 60% of your box office + trading bonds, these can be upto £5000. As for one or two shows, no way. They may let you do it after 2 months. On release normally all shows (2 to 3 a day) for atleast 14 days. When i did Harry Potter 1 + 2 on release i had to offer 30 days, 2 shows a day + a high percentage of my Box Office.

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 03:31 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

We have shown first run films before when we have had BFFS conferences etc. To become a regular first-run house is going to be a virtual impossibility - but - if you can make some arrangements with your booking agency you may be able to get more previews, one-day-only shows etc.

Our booker is Maggie Atlas, from FilmQuest in Surbiton and if you speak to her nicely she can sometimes have words with distributors to help you out on special events. Normally the distributors are quite happy (in the UK anyway) when we have spoke to them directly for previews as they can target a captive student population (the biggest cinemagoing agegroup).

Would be interesting to see how you get on, I haven't done the booking for quite a while - The last first-run film we had that I can actually remember (that I was the projectionist for) was Speed 2 (I know it was a while back!) and we got it on flat rate because it wasn't doing too well at the box-office.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-13-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here at our local collage they periodically do first run one time showings of certain films prior to the regular release dates. Usually of collage crowd type films.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-13-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

There may be a way for you to start a program with a film critic who could invite a director or producer to show his film to the students signed up for the class. After showing the film, the guests would be permitted to make a short speech and then have a discussion on film making as well as film presentation. I was involved with this type of program at both the University of Connecticut and at New York University back in the 60's. It worked very well in both cases.

Professor Richard Brown now does this in New York City at the New School for Social Research.

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, there is currently no such program at UConn (that I know of). All we have are Friday screenings of independent films, but they are certainly not first-run:

http://www.sfa.uconn.edu/whatson_films.htm

The new addition to the student union will contain a movie theater which can double as a lecture hall, so maybe there is hope for the future:

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/02041501.htm

Come back, Bob! Come back!

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 11:39 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

"Besides having to have a council cinema license etc"

Dont you have a cinema license at the moment?
I thought that every cinema in the UK had to have a cinema license, regardless of first run, student, seasonal etc.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, because we are a members only cinema.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The University of Chicago's DOC FILMS (one of the most prolific student cinema operations anywhere, and probably one of the best equipped) often runs previews of upcoming films when it fits into a studio's promotional plans. No admission is charged for these. They ran the remake of "The Italian Job" last month.

http://docfilms.uchicago.edu/

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 03:54 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we might be quite close to being one of the better equipped student theatres. All equipment paid for by member ticket sales.

Cinemeccanica Vic 8 (35 & 70), Dolby CP-65, DA-20, Dts-6D, Fumeo HL1000 Xenon 16mm, DVD & Video. Union Films Southampton

Warwick University are one better, they do 70mm Changeovers. (and now have SDDS! - ah well, more saving required ..
Warwick Student cinema

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 08:29 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.
We´re also a student cinema, and not to shabby if we say so ourselves, and we do...
We´ve got a Ernemann 15/35, Dolby CP650 with EX, but we also stive to get better... (been in operation with the current setup for 6 months...)
On another note, Mike: how are you doing at the end of June? My sister is graduating from Univeristy of Southhampton in June, so I´ll be coming over, and wonder if you have an opportunity to meet, and show me the goods? Contact me or reply if you have the possibility. It´d be nice to meet more student union cinema operators.
//Gunnar

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 08:07 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think we might be quite close to being one of the better equipped student theatres. All equipment paid for by member ticket sales.
It would be nice is we could break even on a film for once, never mind having and money left over after paying the print rental.

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 03:48 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gunnar,

You are more than welcome to come and see our kit, likewise anybody else that wants to pop down and visit. Drop me an email to let me know when you are about. (m.rendall@soton.ac.uk)

P.s. I may be at the Graduation too (Should be getting my PhD!)

Mike

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 07:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[apologies for going off-topic]

...so will you be wearing the full-scale dead ferret outfit? The Exeter PhD costume was so hideous that this was a big part of the reason why I gave the ceremony a miss!

In fact, I've never been able to take degree ceremonies seriousy since the photograph they took for my undergrad one. The 'scroll' I appear to be holding is in fact a length of plastic drainpipe, complete with a B & Q price tag on one end! At the MA one we were made to stand around for half an hour in the pouring rain due to a security alert, and when the thing did start we all went up to get our degrees looking like drowned rats. This combined with one look at what Exeter proposed to make me wear was enough to make me decide to stay away.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 08:25 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I'm bothering with my graduation. I'll go home and joing my family in having a big chinese take away. Still have money left over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: