Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Advertising Checkers" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Advertising Checkers"
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the theatre staff know when an "advertising checker" shows up? Seems like they would have to if you're checking multiple shows.

|  IP: Logged

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok ya got me, What's an advertising checker?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They prepare a report (simple checklist?) on the theatre's pre-show ads. This is a way to get independent confirmation that the theatre is running all the correct ads with any given show (kind of an audit for the advertisers I guess). I think the checker also notes technical problems if there are any.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-06-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the head count checkers from the distributors? Some of those guys used to bug the crap out of me. We had to complain many times about this one guy who was dumber than a brick and would harrass our employees all the time. Most of our checkers expected free soda and popcorn and sometimes wouldn't even BE there during the shows they were supposed to check. They'd just show up after and ask for a box office report. We used to tell them to piss off... if they wanted information like that they should've been here counting heads the whole time not at the bar next door.

Grrr... and then there was Crazy Joel... he was shocked that we had "Lawnmower Man 2" in our 48 seat house. Don't get me started.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theatre chains I have worked (4) have some sort of "secret checker" come to the theatre. The checker would evaluate each job position and movie presentation. The checker would usually not be known to the staff or management.

The checkers would look for how the box office attendant greeted him or her with a nice hello, were they polite. For concession did they try to up sell, were they fast and polite and courteous. Did the usher greet you with a friendly smile on his face, was the theatre clean.

As for management, the checker would need to see them wearing their name tag and dressed in the right attire. For projection we had to start the movie on time, make sure it was in frame, sound level good and the temperature was good.

A few weeks later our evaluation back. For instance, Regal would grade you on a number scale threw 100, if you did your job good they would reward the person $15. Which I was lucky enough to get $30 one time, a concessionist had my name tag on and I was in projection.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are different kinds of checks. Some are open checks where they announce themselves to management and perform their counts openly and also ask to see ticket machine data. There are also blind checks that are supposed to be unobtrusive where someone quietly counts heads in the auditorium.

http://www.certifiedreports.com/

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is referred to as an "advertising checker". Their only interest (apparently) is the paid ads being run ahead of the feature. They note what ads were played, their order of placement, and whether there were technical problems.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, an advertising checker would be different than someone who was supposed to check the entire theatre. My mom did the "blind" theater checks in the 80's. In addition to the things William mentioned, sometimes we would be instructed to do stuff -- like they would send us passes and we were supposed to try and use them to see a new release and see if the box office staff would let us in, (That depended on what type of certificate it was what the "correct" action was) other times we were supposed to arrive late and see if the theater would let us stay and watch the beginning of the next showing -- all sorts of odd stuff...

Only twice did we have to give bad reports on theaters, one theater was extremely dirty and a roach crawled across the seat in front of us during the movie, and another occasion the theater was extremely dirty and the screens were ripped -- that place was a dump! In both occasions the theaters were shut down for remodeling. (I would always note stuff like crappy reel splices in the reports, don't know if the theaters ever read what we wrote or not...)

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,
You said
quote:
other times we were supposed to arrive late and see if the theater would let us stay and watch the beginning of the next showing
I'm curious what the correct policy was. My policy is... sure you may stay and see what you missed. Knowing some of the strange policies of theatre chains today I wouldn't be suprised if they wouldn't let someone see what they had missed when arriving late.

Just curious.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-06-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, the advertising checkers have to report to the box office and state exactly which show they want to check.
Which would theoretically give the projection staff a little advantage if the cashiers weren`t generally too dumb to remember that they were supposed to call upstairs in that case.
To make sure that the checkers really check all the commercials (we often have 15-30 minutes of rolling commercials), they have to record the sound on a handheld tape recorder.
If they found that a commercial was missing that hadn`t been reported to the agency (for instance, because the copy hadn`t arrived at the theater), then they would usually not pay for any of the commercials for the whole week. So we had to be really careful that none were missing. That was often quite difficult. In a 10 plex with 20 films each which changed from week to week, you have a lot of work just to organise the commercial reels.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the chain wanted staff to let people do this -- we had to do this at several UA theaters in the area, and then we did checks 6 months later and they still allowed us to stay. (I suppose part of it was we were supposed to be somewhat "difficult" patrons and see how the staff reacted.) Part of the thing was we never knew if we were being employed by the chain or the film company -- sometimes we were just supposed to do a head count and see what trailers were played, (again, this was in 1988-1992, before ads were widespread.) but we always got our instructions from a company that did this, so we didn't know who was hiring them to hire us.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Certified Field Reports website looks interesting. Anyone know about jobs like that? Are they part time? Can they be easily scheduled around a full time job? I would love to be a checker for a theater.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-11-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I brought this up is Regal sent me a letter last week asking if I want to be an "ad checker". I received the full info Friday. I see no reason not to mention it here -- there's nothing clandestine or top secret going on, since checkers are required to introduce themself to the mgr on duty at the time and explain why they're there.

So anyway I did it today. It's kind of a pain in the ass -- not sure I will do it again. Basically, once a month you go to your assigned theater and watch the pre-show rolling stock for 3 movies, preferably PG, PG-13, and R. They don't care about anything but rolling stock/ads -- you're not evaluating slides or trailers, nor the feature. They want to know what ads played; the order they played in; whether there were any gross technical issues with picture or sound; the show's advertised start time; the actual start time of the rolling stock; actual start time of the trailers; and whether the lights were cued properly. Regal pays you $20 and reimburses for up to 2 adult admissions. You have to return a completed form to them, along with an "invoice".

I dunno. Kind of a lot of hassle. And I have mixed feelings about helping them audit those damn ads that we all hate. But then it's an afternoon at the movies for free too. [Roll Eyes]

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they state when the ads were *supposed* to start? At the one Regal location here in town, the ads start at the advertised feature start time. At two other Regal locations the film itself starts at the advertised feature start time. (Needless to say I prefer the *film* starting at the advertised time!)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The impression I get from their instructions is they would like the trailers to start at the advertised showtime. So rolling stock starts early. That's how the theatre here timed it, +/- a couple minutes anyway.

Theatres equipped with the new Cinemedia digital system must be showing a LOT of ads because the checker is advised that the ads may start 20 minutes prior to the scheduled showtime. And if the theatre has the Cinemedia plasma screens in the lobby, they want you to audit those too, including whether any of the screens are non-functional.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: