Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pre-show advertisers & costs

Author Topic: Pre-show advertisers & costs
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been wondering what companies your theatre runs ‘Advertising Trailers’ for & if anyone has any ballpark ideas on how much the theatre actually profits from it. The only ‘commercials’ I have seen before a film have been for Soft Drinks or Car ads. Are these adds always part of an on-screen slide/trailer contract?

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ads I don't get are the ones for TV shows -- I would think it would be against the theater's interest to invite people to stay home and watch TV instead. Heck, the broadcast TV station I used to work for refused to run ads for the cable company!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 04:32 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the broadcast TV station I used to work for refused to run ads for the cable company
Those days are pretty much gone up here. Our local stations not only cross advertise with radio (even those owned by competing tv stations), but a few of the biggies also have deals with the area independents, whereby they're doing a 10pm news show on the indie, then their normal 11 pm news on their own channel. On the indie, the originating station gets to smear their logo all over the screen, which of course, they do!

Get this for call signs. Seattle's first TV station was eventually renamed "KING" (some say it was because Seattle's in King County, but the owners denied that). Some years ago, an indie went on the air, and got the call "KONG". Eventually, KING bought KONG, and now they run a lot of each other's programming, thereby getting repeat broadcasts of the programs that make them the best $$$$.

It sure is a different world.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small world... The radio staiton I worked for was originally called KONG radio!! (FM 92.9/AM 1400, licensed to Visalia, CA.) They changed call letters when the company building the TV station in Seattle paid the owners at the time to change, becuase they wanted them to have KING and KONG in the same market! At home I have tons of LP records stamped "PROPERTY OF KONG". [Smile]

The Fox affilliate I worked for also owned the WB affilliate in the market, so the Fox's 10:00 news ran at 11:00 on the WB. The same outfit owned the Fox affilliate in Bakersfield, and although we did MC for it in Fresno, the CBS station down there produced a newscast for the Fox station. Like you say, it was all the same staff and most of the time they'd forget they were on the Fox station and say "CBS 29"...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about diverting from the subject . . .

Nate said:
quote:
I have been wondering what companies your theatre runs 'Advertising Trailers' for
We run trailers produced by Screenvision for such companies as Chrysler, M & M's (who is that Nestle maybe?), and K-mart in their final effort to appeal to customers [puke] . In terms of public announcements we run a spot about how tobacco is bad for teens (no shit [Roll Eyes] ), Gregory Hienz talking about stroke symptoms, and Pennsylvania Dept. of Health advising kids that if they [sex] once, they'll die from AIDS (can anybody say propaganda). Lastly, we also run crap from Cartoon Network like Toonami, and hype for a new season of Powerpuff Girls - or something.

Anyway, as one might tell from this post, onscreen ads suck in all forms.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: