Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Opinions on Cineworld Cinemas

Author Topic: Opinions on Cineworld Cinemas
Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 12:38 AM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone here has any expierences or thoughts about Cineworld Cinemas in England. I tried to do a search here and was surprised to see nearly nothing about this chain. The reason I am interested is because my uncle owns Cineworld and I still have never had the chance to go over there and see one of his theaters in person. From the pictures and video tapes my cousins has shown me, they look very nice, but I am just curious to hear of what anyone that uses this chain thinks and how it might compaire to a theater chain in the US.

Thanks,
Ryan

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visit the Cineword her in bradford regularly. Funny enough I'm just off to see 'Dreamcatcher'.

Not the biggest screens and some of the auditoriums do not have any digital sound. (hmm I just worked it out. It's half and half. 8 Analog Screens, and 8 digital in this 16 screen complex)
Digital sound is Dolby Digital. (The 8 digital screens have wall plaques near their entrance doors). There is one delux screen which is licensed with adjacent bar, has better seating and has EX sound.

A mixture of flat screens and mildly curved screens. All screens are fixed height and have black masking.

Any other questions?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Michael, I've got another question. Where are the pictures for a picture page? Take your camera and tell them that Ryan Powers insisted that you get pictures for him. [Wink]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A certain person might be applying for a job there soon so pictures may be obtainable. [Smile]

Dave Hall
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Hall   Email Dave Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visit the Huntingdon unit a few times a year and my impression is sort of "better than some but worse than others". There are lots of annoying things like roof tiles missing in various places, emergency exit signs which reflect on the screens, squeaky seats and bad keystone distortion of pre-show slides. Minor irritations which I expect the public do not notice!

Also, *Everything* (House lights, seats, carpets, curtains, walls, doors, door handles etc etc etc) in every single screen is bright red which I hate with a passion. Why Why WHY? I have never understood why cinemas do this! Colours have a physiological affect on people and red increases heart rate and makes people subconciously uncomfortable. Cool colours such as pale yellows, blues and even greys tend to slow heartrate and create a more relaxed environment. My personal preference is to see non-bright colours in cinema screens.

Besides the distractions of bright colours and exit signs on the screen, I cannot however fault their film presentation on my visits, although the only digital format is Dolby.

Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 04:56 PM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for your responces. With all his theaters over the pond it's good to hear some opinions from people that visit them since I would have to leave extra early from Charlotte, NC in order to catch a show.

I don't get to see my uncle since he moved over there a little over ten years ago. He does have a house here in the United States, in Orlando and makes his way up to North Carolina about once a year since a lot of our family moved up here from Miami after hurricane Andrew. Every time I talk to him when he visits he is busier then ever expanding over there.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the first and only company in the UK to introduce popcorn projectionists, otherwise known as multifunctional staff.
[evil]
www.cineworld.co.uk

David Woodrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for David Woodrow   Email David Woodrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cineworld down the road from me (Stevenage) now a 16 Plex they have just added 4 screens by buying the building next door in the same complex, has the worst presentations I have ever seen i.e. scratched prints on day one of new releases, Digital sound films played in analogue in Digital Houses, out of rack and focus, this is a perfect example of "POP CORN PROJECTIONISTS" and if you complain you get "0"
I would avoid this chain if you want to see a movie .I have never worked for Cineworld ,my days of being a projectionist was over 15 years ago when I worked at a local theatre that had changeovers and arc lamps and Film was done right!
I will upload pictures of this cinema in the next few days

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 04:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are lots of annoying things like roof tiles missing in various places
The moral of the story being... wear a crash helmet the next time you visit a Cineworld!

quote:
Colours have a physiological affect on people and red increases heart rate and makes people subconciously uncomfortable.
In that case I'd definitely stay clear of Stelios Haji-Wotsit's easyFleapit©® in Milton Keynes. If it's anything like his aeroplanes or hire cars, the seats and wall covering will all be bright orange (hopefully he'll draw the line at orange screens, though)! [puke]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here in Bradford all the roof tiles seem to be attached and there are no major presentation problems. I don't really mind all the redness.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: