Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What is econo-pleat?

Author Topic: What is econo-pleat?
Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to get new wall covering and can't afford much. I've heard somebody mention econo-pleat but I can't find much on it. Has anyone heard of it? Used it?

EDIT - OMG! My 50th post! I'm somebody now!!!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-28-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops...Richard Fowler beat me to it.

I think that was the stuff I addressed some time ago that didn't stand up worth a crap. MTS sub-contracted those jobs and they just simply didn't pan out. In six months, it was "detaching" itself with minor customer brat-pack tugs.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Econopleat was a bracket system to hang raw flame proof fabric material in a "pleated" fashion using clip on pleats which where prone to failure due to tension required to pleat the material. To make a long story short this system was [bs] The system was a work around the "Soundfold" patented pleating bracket system which is superior. They have an economy bracket which use less fabric which could fill your requirements. Adding one inch fiberglas duct liner on 50 to 100% of your walls behind the pleated fabric will help to deaden the room. t Soundfold by itself is an improvement versus a bare wall. A good installer can do a room a day or you can do it yourself with three people, rolling scaffold, and simple tools ( hammer, stapler, plumb bob to line up brackets ). Soundfold is on the web www.soundfold.com
Art, Tom, Tony are great in service and can supply other items such as wall carpet and masking.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the info provided in the Boxoffice magazine Buyer's Guide issue:

Econo Pleat/Eastwest Carpet Mills
11143 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, Calif. 90232
Phone: (310) 559-RUGS
Fax: 310-559-6357

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Adding one inch fiberglas duct liner on 50 to 100% of your walls behind the pleated fabric will help to deaden the room. t Soundfold by itself is an improvement versus a bare wall."

You need AT LEAST to do the 1" duct liner, or even preferably 2" liner on the side walls and 3" on the back wall if your budget and room constraints will allow for it. This will get you in the ball park acoustically with whats going on in the industry today.

Consider these points....
1. You have to be careful assumming that the fabric will do some major acoustical work just by itself as it really does VERY LITTLE on its own.

2. Its all but impossible to go back and install fibrglass on the walls after you hang the fabric. The fabric does not generally go back up very well after the stretching thats required to install it the first time around.

3. How much it actually does by itself "acoustically" really depends upon what fabric you will ultimately decide to hang. There are generally no acoustical specs available for MOST of the fabric available today, Soundfold fabric is an exception there.

4. Definately stay away from any of the burlap type fabrics as thay are dust magnets.

5. What ever fabric you do go with be sure it meets local fire codes for flameproofing. Get a certificate from the fabric manufacturer stating what the rating on it is. Having it ahead of time may alleviate many problems on any inspections that could take place before or after installation, or down the road.

6. Also consider installing heavy curtains vs. installing soundfold...they can be a good option and may be better suited if you operate an older theatre. Heavy curtains can be quite effective acoustically by themselves and could eliminate most of the need for fibreglas installation.

7. Installing the soundfold is not as easy as one might think. Getting the weave of the fabric to hang properly and look correct can be very frustrating and time consumming, you may waste some material learning this on your own. Having it installed by a professional can save time, money, and lots of grief....

8. Order at least 1 extra roll of material so you have a backup roll that can color match whats " already on the wall"....in case of water damage or vandals.

Most importantly good luck with what ever you decide to do...your customers will notice your improvemsnts!!!

Mark @ CLACO

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the quotes I'm getting for redoing the walls - I think I'm going to have to scale back a bit and wait on them. They aren't great, but they're not bad either. There is fiberglass insulation all around so that should be okay.

I wish I could do something this go round, but I think it's going to have to wait. Oh well, one thing at a time......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: