Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » History of Cinemark (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: History of Cinemark
Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure how many of us reside in Cinemarkland. I have managed two Cinemark theatres that are older than most of my employees. Does anyone know the first theatre that Cinemark built and if it's still around? I'd be interested to see which theatres are considered the first generation.

Does anyone know the correlation of the theatre numbers? I know it's not totally by date.

Back when they used to have District Offices, were these inside existing theatres and are those old offices still there?

Just curious...

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I have been with Cinemark since May of 1992. As we know the majority of cinemark locations are in Texas. I do not know what the first actual cinemark build was under that name or if it still exists. Brad may know. From what I understand the company used to primarily consist of discount theaters. It seems to me that I remember reading that Mr. Mitchell's father had the company prior to 1984 and sold off the theaters, but Leroy retained the name or something along those lines. The company got one of its big breaks when it bought out premier cinemas from Regal founder Mike Cambell. The rest of the growth has been pretty much from building. As far as the number structure it doesn't really have a distinct order. We have two theaters here that were opened at the same time back in 1990 and one is number 25 and the other is 122. As for district offices. They were pretty much located in theaters. Prior to getting rid of the district leader offices the region office for the southeast was not located in a theater. Now since the region offices are all there is it is located in a theater.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the status of the Cinemark theatres that were spun off into some quasi-independent status a few years ago? There were no changes done to the theatres except to remove all references to the Cinemark name?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 09:53 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are still Cinemark theaters but they are opperated under the Charlie Funk Name. THere is a lot of reasons going around why this is but since I am totally not sure why myself I am not going to post those reasons. I do believe that the northeast region office is located in one of those sites.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark built a 12-screen (#116) here in 1990, to great publicity and fanfare. It was a big deal then for this market. Then in 1999 Cinemark built a new 17-screener (#235) in the same mall and turned the 12-screener into a discount theatre. The 17-plex is *very* nice and a big improvement. Both locations seem to do very well.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regard to the Funk theatres: From what I understand, they are still owned by Cinemark and by Charlie Funk. The deal was made because some of these "Funk" theatres were not turning a profit. A deal was set up and many of the non-profitable theatres along with some profitable theatres we put under the Funk "Interstate Theatres" name. I know they still receive paychecks from Cinemark. These theatres generally run on the tight side, focusing on lower payroll costs. Some of the theatres are nice. I know they have their own corporate structure with District Leaders, Region Leaders, Booth techs, and other operational members that are seperate from Cinemark. I've heard that this was supposed to be a temporary deal set up when so many other chains were folding. I don't know if they'll be "reunited" with the other Cinemarks.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-09-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad? Adam? Any guesses as to Cinemark's first location? I'm darn curious to know.

Also -- what about Starplex Cinemas -- aren't they a Cinemark Spin-off? That one in Irving sure did look EXACTLY like a Movies 10.

Being from California I know very little of Cinemark's history.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of the number of the theater is determined when the land or building was purchaced/leased.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the land for the 2 theaters here in town that I mentioned above was purchased at the same time by the same developers at the time.

I have never heard the starplex theatres name mentioned within our company.

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason starplex theaters look the same is because Leeroy Mitchell daughter owns and run those theater that is the only link to Cinemark. Cinemark has no share in that theater the only link they have is the daughter.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm sure she's a very nice lady, Leroy's daughter has nada to do with Starplex. Her uncle does though.

Starplex Cinemas is owned by J.C. Mitchell, brother of Leroy "Mr. Cinemark" Mitchell. The Irving location (our first one) was built by Starplex, but "drew heavily" [Wink] on the designs established by Cinemark. All of our theaters since then have also sported a pseudo-Cinemark design scheme. Our newest theater, slated to open this winter, is designed to be our first break away from that copycat design.

Most of our interior equipment is also amazingly similar to that found inside a lot of Cinemark joints. We've rented some of Cinemark's locations and sold other ones to them.

Coincidence? [Confused] I think not! [Smile]

So, to answer the question, Starplex is not a Cinemark spin-off. More just like an underappreciated little brother. Kind of a Bobby Brady living in the shadow of Greg Brady kind of thing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Hollywood Theaters originally a Cinemark offshoot (before it went bankrupt and got acquired by the slumlord Wallace chain)? The Hollywood Spotlight 14 in Norman, OK looks very much like a 1990's Cinemark build --but just with a few corners cut here and there. It still has the same cartoony look.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark theatres in Houston was not well known in the mid 1980's, I forgot the name of the theatre chain, in the early 80's a local company with about 5-7 theatres, they was going under due to they built these theatres too fast & too many with little money, with at that time the projection equipment was Cinema Film System, Raven sound systems, Cinecita projectors, although the equipment was new out of the box it was still junk !! Always off the screen & crappy mono sound that kept burning up the speakers, since people stop coming to the theatres they were going under, Cinemark with their new name brought these theatres in 1984 & started building like crazy in the 90's...Now I only know about the Houston area only, several of their theratres were name Hollywood, I know of at lease 4-theatres in Houston with the same name, then something happen & they started naming the theatres Cinemark, Leroy had a shares in a now defunk Dollar Cinemas in Houston & Las Vegas, sold his shares & started the mega-theatres...

The Hollywood theatre in Norman Oklahoma has nothing to do with Cinemark, it was own by a local company in Dallas that did the same thing, built too many too fast & went under & Wallace brought them out...Hollywood theatres was the name of the company in Dallas...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 03:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark started calling there theaters different things to get away from using the generic term Movies this Movies that. First they came up with the Hollywood term then they switched to Tinseltown then Legacy was going to be the new term but building started slowing down and they don't build the massive plexes right now so they are back to using Tinseltown. As far as the look that some theaters have that can look like Cinemarks is because they probably took there ideas from Cinemark. Regal had a big habbit of doing that at one time.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark 17 here (#235) was originally announced as "Tinseltown 17" and that's what the "Under Construction" sign said. At some point, they must have decided to go with the newer art-deco theme and it eventually opened under the name "Cinemark 17". Everything in the place has the new art-deco style, except in the auditoriums, there's a mix of the older Tinseltown look along with the new art-deco look -- kind of a hybrid.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: