Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New screen - need to make it look pretty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New screen - need to make it look pretty
Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre currently shoots the film on an old curved screen made of sheetrock and painted with some kind of "special" paint to make it very reflective. I tell you, it looks like flat white to me. I am interested in putting up a perforated screen with a screen array behind it. I've been able to locate everything I need so far except for someone to hang drapes around the screen. Who knew I'd have such a hard time finding that! Does anyone here have a link or a suggestion for me? I'm located in small town NH - maybe that's part of my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are your speakers now? What size screen?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Many front end companies are willing to travel a pretty good distance. I have been exceedingly pleased with Pickett Theater Services out of Dallas. I'm sure you could find someone closer though.

How do you "bend" sheetrock?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am not mistaken you can bend sheetrock by cutting grooves in the back of the sheetrock which allows you to bend it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-25-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am certainly no sheet rock expert, but if it is picked up on each end, it does have a nice sag in it. [Wink]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think about a arched entryway or something like that where the sheetrock would have to bend a good bit. Seems like I seen then do that on a Bob Vila show onetime.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-26-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
To bend sheetrock, I think you have to wet one side, form it and leave it to dry.

In New England, I would presume a phone call to Boston Light and Sound would result in a list of front-end installers that they have been on jobs with that they could recommend.

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure enough is curved sheet rock. I have no clue how they did it but they did. I think the original surface was plaster. They built this screen in the 20s if local history tells the truth.

My speakers are now on either side of the screen, I'm only mono. My sound system stinks, it's horrible.

I figure the most bang for the buck right now with this little theatre is a new screen and masking, and a new sound system bringing me a little more up to speed.

I want to bring in a USL processor and booth monitor, JBL speakers for the left, right,center, subwoofer and surround sound (2 on each side), adding USL ADL transmitters and about 5 headsets, and using crown amps for the whole deal. Add the new screen and masking and I think folks will think they are in a new theatre the first time they visit us after the upgrade.

Going from what's basically a 20 watt PA system to what I described above should really be an impressive jump.

I know this is the wrong forum to say this, but if anybody has something I could use, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help guys. You're great!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, Be sure to get before-and-after pics to share here. [Smile]

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can either wet one side of the sheetrock as Adam described or use 1/4" sheetrock as it is very flexible.

Possibly Nick Mulone in Cheswick, PA could help you out.

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - I will do so. Thanks - I hadn't even though of it. So much to do at the moment.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wetting sheetrock or using flexible 1/4" to achieve a curve does work, but if you want to be really correct the proper term for bending wood or rock by means of a series of back cuts is called "kerfing". Tough to work it into a conversation on a regular basis, though.

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I dunno about that....

Up until I quit smoking a while back I spent a lot of time kerfing [puke] up all kinds of stuff.

See! That was easy!

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. I'm ashamed to say I still do!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-14-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a drill & a little time, you can do a dandy perf job!
[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: