Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to update Yahoo et al movie listings? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to update Yahoo et al movie listings?
Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-24-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know of a way that we can enter our own listings into the yahoo, hollywood.com or moviefone databases? It is very annoying to constantly have "No Information Available" posted on all the sites when I am more than capable of entering in that data. I have sent emails to these places asking, and all I get is an automated response. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-26-2003 08:51 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don it is like trying to get a hold of someone who runs E-bay, it's impossible. Our company has completely given up on these companies and we now run and update our own websites (one for each theater). We have gone through great pains to make sure that the customers know to go to our site for times and not the others (I think that they make up our times because they sure dont get them from me). I think that there was another thread dealing with a similar subject that you might try searching for. But hey if you ever find a way to get a hold of someone, let me know. Instead of them making up our times I would perfer for them to just link our site.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the address I send my schedule to each week for listing in Yahoo and Hollywood.com.

schedules@cinema-source.com

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try

times@nowshowing.com

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also send my times to Cinema Source at the address Ian gave.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-26-2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

I've been told by the owner he wto set up a website for our theater, and I am certainly able to do it, but I don't know the legal rules relating to some of the content. I could do movies and showtimes easily enough, and promos, etc, but I have seen a number of websites that just ship you off to Yahoo Movies when you click to see what something is about. I don't know if that is legit or not, and wouldn't want to get busted for stealing content. I also dread the thought of having to create my own content... What do you guys do?? Just link to Yahoo? Do you need special permission to do this? Should I link right to the studio site? Thanks again.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-26-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do Yahoo, Moviefone, etc. get the showtimes from theatres that don't submit them via email? Do they pay people to call the theatre and listen to the recordings?

Don--there shouldn't be any problem with simple links to another site. That's (obvioulsy) the whole point of the web. Personally, I'd suggest linking to the Internet Movie Database: http://us.imdb.com/

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re Moviefone and Hollywood.com: If you don't submit your listings promptly each week your theater gets shut out -- period. That's what happened to the Princeton Garden Theatre this past week. The theater gets listed with "Sorry, schedule not available" or a version of same.

This is embarrassing as I rely on theater websites, Hollywood.com and Moviefone for show schedules. I had to call long distance to Princeton on 3/22 to find out if Spider was still playing (which it was).

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My publication receives showtimes from CinemaSource, and I have found them to be very responsive, albeit not perfect and in need of monitoring...

I tracked down information for Don and sent it to him, but I wanted to let everyone here know that it is not a hopeless cause to be listed in the databases of these suppliers.

For the theaters whose showtimes we publish, we monitor if their showtimes are present, and we hassle CinemaSource if there are any problems, so the theaters don't have to.

After eight years of doing this, we catch things that CS' data entry personnel do not. Persistent problems are few and far between, and overall, we've been very happy with the service that CinemaSource provides.

If your theater is doing online ticketing through movietickets.com, the process is even simpler since the showtime data is pulled right from your POS system and imported directly into their system. As long as the coding for each movie is done right on both sides, there are very few data related problems that can occur.

re: linking to sites for movie information:

The IMDb is an excellent site, but very overloaded with information for the casual theater patron. We encourage links to our web site for movie information, and there's no charge for doing so.

For example, here is a link to Anger Management:

http://www.bigscreen.com/NowShowing.php?movie=39217

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott,
Nice website.....just for your information the following theaters you have listed have been dead and gone for quite some time.
 -
Regal Courtyard
3445 Lebanon Rd
Hermitage, TN

Regal Nippers Corner Cinema 10
15534 Old Hickory Blvd
Nashville, TN

Carmike Hermitage 4
Hermitage Plaza
Nashville, TN

Old Hickory Cinema 16
109 N. Gallatin
Nashville, TN

Carmike Cinema North
I-65 & Two Mile Parkway
Goodlettsville, TN

Carmike Fountain Square 14
2298 Metro Center Boulevard
Nashville, TN

Carmike 6 Harding Mall
Harding Mall - 4030 Nolensville Road
Nashville, TN

Carmike Lions Head 5
90 White Bridge Rd
Nashville, TN

Campus .50 Twin
726 South Tennessee Blvd
Murfreesboro, TN

Carmike Cool Springs Galleria 10
Crossroad Plaza - 1730 Galleria Blvd
Franklin, TN

Watson Glen Cinema 10
901 Rand Pl - South Royal Oaks Blvd
Franklin, TN

Carmike Williamson Square 8
1113 Murfreesboro Rd
Franklin, TN

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott!

How about posting in "Who the Heck are you?" thread so we know Who the Heck You are??

Also, the following Theaters in my area have also been closed for awhile:

GC Lincoln Mall Cinemas - RI
Lincoln, RI

Hoyts Franklin Cinema 6
Franklin, MA

Crescent Cinema
Brockton, MA

Limelight Cinema
Warwick, RI

Hoyts Milford 3
Milford, MA

Woonsocket Cinema
Woonsocket, RI

The Theater I work at (TRI-BORO, N. ATTLEBORO) is listed but without showtimes. Where do I fax or E-Mail showtimes so we can also be included?

Paul Goulet

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Paul,

Thank you for the updates, I have verified that they are inactive and marked them as such in our records.

I'll definitely post in the "Who the Heck are you?" thread, sorry for not doing so sooner.

In regards to getting your theater listed, we don't have the funds to list every theater in the country by default, but we do work cooperatively with theaters to arrive at a mutually beneficial arrangement... [Wink] I'll contact you directly with the details!

If anyone notices incorrect information in our guide, please let me know about it. It's very difficult to keep up on which theaters have closed, so any help is much appreciated. I'll get it corrected as soon as possible.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These theaters listed for my area have long since been buried:

UA Manchester Mall
Fresno, CA (Not to be confused with the Signature 16-screen theater also located at Manchester Mall, which is still open. The UA was a 2 screen second-run dump that closed in 1998.)

UA Northgate Cinemas 4
Fresno, CA

UA Movies 4 - Fresno
Fresno, CA

Mann Festival 6 - Fresno
Fresno, CA

Mann Fig Garden 4
Fresno, CA

Edwards Fresno IMAX
Fresno, CA

Mann Regency 6
Clovis, CA

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

Thanks for the updates, those theaters are now deactivated as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: