Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Air Conditioning Tech Advice Needed

Author Topic: Air Conditioning Tech Advice Needed
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theatre is cooled by a 100 ton Trane centrifugal chiller. This type of system maintains an internal vacuum. This means leaks are air inward rather than refrigerant outward and are impossible to detect and the treatment is to coat every joint with a liquid which will be drawn in and stop any leak. A purge pump operates to maintain a 25 in. vacuum. Even with a recovery system a small refrigerant loss is inevitable. The refrigerant is R113, one on the soon to be prohibited list. The question is--is there a replacement for R113? I've been told that R123 could be used but with a 15% efficiency loss which would be acceptable as there is considerable excess capacity. Service campanies and Trane offer only rhetoric and bullshit. Can anyone here shed some light? Replacement of the system is at present not possible.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 12:53 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say what you need to do is ask the manager of the largest and buisiest reasteraunt in town who does their' maintenance and ask them. I've worked in several reasteraunts, and even in the dead of winter the kitchen is burning up, they have walk in coolers, several freazers, air conditioning for the floor, and cooling units under the salad bar. All of thease have to be constantly maintained, or you can be shut down on the spot if there is a problem, or bacteria could spread and cause a patron to get food poisoning and possibly die. Whoever they use for maitenance has to know their' shit, and can probably anwere any question you have.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/reflist.pdf

A complete list from the US EPA

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: