Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What are you wearing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: What are you wearing?
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No don't close my thread!!! It isn't a teaser!

Anyway, just wondering who (mostly management) has uniforms and what kind. Also wondering if the projectionists out there are allowed to wear their street clothes or have to wear uniforms.

As a manager I just have to wear presentable clothes, the men have to wear a shirt and tie.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company i work for allows the projectionists to wear casual clothes, as long as they are neat and tidy.
I like to wear dark clothes while at work (black T-shirt), i wear shorts for 6 months of the year and jeans for the other 6 months.
On busy days (customers) i try to wear a T-shirt with the company logo on it, to give the illusion of a greater presence of staff.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Rachel, I'm not going to close this thread, but I will rant about it.

Any theater that doesn't let projectionists wear "decent/nice" street clothes just sucks. I can understand them not wanting projectionists to wear shorts or T-shirts with heavy metal rock bands or something to that effect, but a nice plain shirt, jeans and sneakers should be just fine...especially since projectionists are frequently on their knees, many booths are too hot to be wearing the corny uniforms some companies put forth, and they are not in the public view anyway. When a projectionist crosses the lobby to get to another booth or use the bathroom, they just look like a regular customer. When they are in uniform, they are stopped by customers and asked questions they frequently do not know how to answer. It's just stupid corporate nonsense.

In regards to the whole "men must wear shirt/tie/suit coat", but "women can wear nice clothes"...that is such sexist bullshit! If the men have to wear a shirt and tie, so can the women. Otherwise the men should be able to dress in a professional manner without the requirement of a tie and coat. Sexist! Sexist! Sexist! [sex]

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 07:59 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we wear street clothes with a uniform shirt.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-23-2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now...Let's see...

What am I wearing...? (I'll never tell.)

At work I can wear whatever I want to wear but once the novelty wore off (and everyone had seen my favorite "L.A. Gun Club" tee shirt) I decided to come up with a uniform of my own. Originally, I chose the golf tee of the parent company and a pair of khakis. Nowadays, I've taken to wearing Dolby tees and blue jeans.

One of these days I might change that shirt to a Film Tech tee...right, Brad?

The projectionists wear a company-issued polo shirt and khaki or brown pants. They have to wear sturdy brown leather shoes with rubber soles and they must wear a working wristwatch. A pen and showtime schedule are also required components of the uniform, but they often get overlooked. As always, underwear is optional.

Brad wrote:
quote:
In regards to the whole "men must wear shirt/tie/suit coat", but "women can wear nice clothes"...that is such sexist bullshit! If the men have to wear a shirt and tie, so can the women.
Or maybe we could start wearing nice women's clothing, too? I'm probably too tall for heels but pearls have always enhanced me well.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I work we have to be in full uniform all the time. Black long sleeved shirt and pants (not jeans) with a tie, name tag, and a red vest! Well most of the time we can get away without a vest, unless some coroprate person is there.

Even though I get hot in those outfits in the booth, and yes I do find myself frequently on my knees for those bottom platters. I think its better because I frequently go downstairs to do theater checks, help clean theathers, lobby and bathroom. And I'd like to wear a uniform so I don't look like anyone of out of the ordinary with the downstairs staff. I really don't want customers to know that I'm the projectionist :-D

Rick Stowell
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Rick Stowell   Email Rick Stowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our staff wears the same uniform, including projectionists. Before you condemn me, however, our staff decided on the uniform.

A polo/golf shirt with company logo (5 different colors), shoes that cover the entire foot, and any pants except blue jeans. Personally, I thought blue jeans would be nice, but our staff voted to not allow blue jeans (their options were blue jeans only, or any other pants except blue jeans).

Duh: I've found that compliance with company policies is much better when the staff wrote the policy.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think Rachel may be wearing pink right now. [Smile]

If you look at my current outdated pick to the left that is what all the employees wear.

I only have to wear a shirt and tie and supposed to wear a coat when downstairs when I am managing.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, very good topic in fact.
The picture of me is my typical Aussie "uniform", the shorts and sandals (cheap K-mart shoes) not visible in this picture.
As for the ticket sellers at our venues, they wear neat casual clothes as there is no actual company uniform.
The manager always is immaculate.
After work, what I wear (more like don`t wear) is a different matter!!!!
My best wishes to all my colleagues at Film-tech.
Regards, John Spooner.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-23-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what we wear at work:
 -
It is quite stylish, isn`t it?

This is what our ladies wear:
 -

And here`s a picture of Manny on his way to work:
 -

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theater the dress code is very relaxed, and that is awesome. Projectionists can pretty much wear whatever they want. So can managers/assistants. I've seen them in shirts and ties and I've also seen them in crummy looking t-shirts and unshaven. No one bats an eye. Staff have their choice of company shirts, some with long sleeves and they are available in a few different colors. There are no name tags at my theater. Kick ass. It gives the impression of a very relaxed environment which is one of our goals. I think it works well. Customers always say they enjoy the atmosphere of the theater.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, the Madstone "*Crew" t-shirts. Makes all the other chains seem stuffy by comparison! [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: I don't think men having to wear a shirt and tie is sexist when a woman has to be presentable. It is just different kinds of clothes because men and women do not typically wear the same clothes in absense of a uniform.

What I wear meaning womens "presentable clothes" is either a blouse or sweater and dress pants, a suit (always on the weekends), or a skirt suit. I would honestly much better like to just throw on a shirt and tie--its so much easier.

I am the first female manager my company has ever had--they never told me what to wear and I pretty much made up my own rules for that. I don't think there is any reason that a manager should not look presentable at all times. The customers should be able to tell that you're the manager before you tell them . For guys, a shirt and tie does that--for women, its a little harder and that is why I wear a suit while my counterparts are running around in shirts and ties without jackets.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are forced to wear a goofy polo shirt black polyester pants (same uniform the macdonalds employees wear) in the summer the booths temperature can exceed 100f/38c. prior to this we had to wear a shirt and tie, pants - but safety was a concern or lawsuits from it.
it is a mystery to me why we need a uniform at all? in the past "the good ol days" we just had to be neat and clean.
seriously, i think there is nothing more absurd than a forty year old dressed like a teen aged fast food employee, needless to say i seldom go downstairs in case a friend might see me...

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-23-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here's a different twist.... I'm one of those "combo" people. As the projectionist I would think I should be able to wear some decent yet unimportant clothes, as I frequently get dirty, but as the manager I was supposed to wear a white shirt, black pants and tie. Well I immediately started out by refusing to wear the tie, as I gave a gruesome demonstration of what it would be like if I leaned over the projector to check something and was dragged in by the tie... My first victory!.... the white shirt took a bit longer, but after the owner got good and sick of seeing me greeting the public in a grease and dirt encrusted white shirt (that was clean when I came in), he relented on that too. Then we went to work on making it comfortable for the rest of the staff. Now we wear maroon golf shirts embroidered with a logo designed by a fellow manager, and black pants. It would have went better with khaki pants, but the concessionists were concerend about grease, butter stains, etc and I was worried about showing dirt, so we kept the dark pants. We also had the word "manager" added to the shirts of those that wanted it. Catch is that there is a $15 deposit on the shirts that is returnable if the shirt is returnable in good condition when the person leaves - the owner's idea for that was the staff would take better care of the shirts that way. The only think I think I might add in the summer is a sweat band, but that can easily be slipped into a pocket.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: