Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Checking Auditoriums (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Checking Auditoriums
Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 02:33 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious to know how various companies require auditorium checks to be done. I have been to a number of theatres recently with the intent of watching how they are managed, and I've found that the best checks are those that are unobtrusive. When I pay to see a film, I do not appreciate having flashlights waved around and people walking up and down the isles every 15 minutes. I realize the importance of making your presence known, especially during heavily attended shows, but come on! There is no sense in that. One check per show is sufficient unless you have received complaints.

Am I being unreasonable?

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-22-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We check our theaters at least once per show. NO FLASHLIGHT! We basically just stand in the back, check the screen, the temperature, the audience. Make sure everything is running the way it is supposed to be. We're an indy so we don't have anyone checking on us to make sure we are doing the checks--if they don't see us, all the better. But most people do realise there is someone standing the the back of them *weird tingly feeling*.

At my old dollar theater where I was the GM we used to walk down one side aisle because the thermometers where at the bottom of the theater near the screen, this worked well and everyone saw us without being obtrusive. If we noticed anyone misbehaving we would walk over to the other side isle (in front of the screen but not 'blocking' it) to make SURE they saw us--we usually ended up doing that in the teen movies where we would basically have to 'watch' the movie along with them. [evil]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal here always walks the auditoriums at least once per show. They try to be very low-key about it, but they do usually carry a flashlight. They walk all the way to the front and off to the side near an exit. The checker will pause long enough to look at the screen (and presumably check sound), and leave. Sometimes when a show is really crowded they will use 2 checkers at a time, one on each side. And sometimes they walk the place twice during a show.

I generally don't see Cinemarkers doing a "formal" walk of the auditorium, but someone does check from time to time. Last night at Dreamcatcher, the GM spent about 10 mins. in the auditorium off to the side just observing.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. At Cinemark, I check all the time. But you're right, not everyone does check. I think its crucial because with 14 screens, no automation system can guarantee everything to run perfect as some people think.

AJ Garman

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started we were required to be in AN auditorium throughout the whole set of shows. The theatre was three screener then, so two ushers usually bounced in and out. Looking back on it, that had to suck for the customers in the back rows. Flashlights? What are those? A few years ago the manager threw a group of kids out by ordering me to stop the show, throw on the emergency bypass lights, then rushed the auditorium with his entire usher staff. Like he was in the fricken Gestapo or some shit. That was wrong too, but I still laugh my ass off everytime I think about it.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my ushers check twice a show. I have a system set up that uses 'theatre check cards'. Each auditorium has a unique hole puncher down near the front of each auditorium. The ushers are required to punch the cards as they walk each of the 14 auditoriums. I have learned in the past that we do have a certain amount of liabilty in regards to what goes on in an auditorium while the movies are playing. The cards play a double role - 1) Proof that they ushers actually checked the auditorium and 2) A document showing that an employee was in an auditorium at a certain time - which then goes on file for future use in case a patron calls a month later saying that they fell and no one was around to witness it. I have actually used these documents in a court of law and they helped win the case.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So once I was standing in the back of an auditorium showing Red Planet, and suddenly a fist fight breaks out not too far from me between some customers.
I want to know exactly, what you all would have done if you were in that situation.
Now becuase I'm an employee there I felt I had the responsiblity to do something about it. Should I have tried to wrestle the two men apart? Run out of the auditorium screaming like a girl? Or simply shout "hey keep it down over there, or you'll have to leave!"
Everyone was panicing trying to run for the door, cause the people in the front have no idea whats going on, does someone have a gun?, is there a bomb?
I just opened the main doors, and went to tell a manager to call our mall security. But Dang! Did I pick the right time to do a theather check!

Thinking about it now I think there a few other things that I could have done, but I wanna know what you all would have done?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well a similar incident happened to me when I was the GM of my old theater. The big difference for me was that someone came out and told us what was going on. I had 1 employee call the police and then mall security then the other employee stop the film (Hit the big RED stop button [Smile] )...basically I yelled and screamed, told them the police were the way and they needed to leave, NOW. Mall security was there 2 seconds later but they had already stopped fighting from me yelling.

You should NEVER put yourself. your staff, or your customers in danger and me standing the the middle of the two men (one with a knife) was a big mistake and I was lucky...I don't think they would have responded the same if I were male. The whole stupid part was it was over one of them talking...grrr and the police let both of them go even though one had taken out a knife! [Eek!] Some people just suck.

That was the first and last time so far that I had to deal with something that bad (other then our robbery when I was in the bathroom [Roll Eyes] --or the other robbery that took place overnight [Mad] )and I don't know exactly what I would do if it happened again...some people just by nature jump into the middle of it not thinking of what may happen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, that's a damn good system you have going! Who came up with that? Is there a machine on the market designed for this, or just something that was "converted" for the job?

Rachel, your mall security sucks. They shouldn't have just let them go.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 07:15 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

There is a system for watchpersons which does everything you require in the way of documentation. The person carries a clock with a rotating time card inside. Each check point has a unique key which records its use on the rotating card. These keys are located at the front of the auditorium or at the thermostat for the room. I have seen some that are beside the front exit doors where the key hangs in a small metal box.

This system identifies the date, time and location of the watchperson. That is evidence for later action as it confirms the presence of the person and the disc is locked inside the clock so it cannot be tampered by the operator. I believe the trade name is "Night Watchman".

When there are noisy patrons in the theatre I use the "Passive Management" technique of sitting in a row directly behind them.

KEN

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we do checks every show and some times more depending on the audience.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-23-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was an usher at AMC we were required to do auditorium checks every 20 minutes. We had a clipboard to carry around with us and we were supposed to check the image and sound in addition to temperature and anything noteworthy about the audience (making noise, feet on chairs, etc).

That was the only theatre I worked at where there was actually an established policy or rule regarding theatre checks.

Once, at another theatre, I had customers complaining about unruly audience members. I'm a little guy and these were like 3 largert dudes who seemed high or drunk. I had called for a couple of security guards but they were taking their time. The guys were being very annoying and distracting, so I stopped the movie and raised the lights to full level. Then I announced that security was on the way and that the movie would resume after the three gentlemen had been removed. They got up and left on their own.

I've also had to deal with fist fights but I call the police right away for those -- not just security.

As a preventive measure, I used to let police come in and enjoy the airconditioning and free soda and popcorn just to encourage them to make us one of their usual stops when they did their rounds. I always felt very secure once I got to know a couple of officers by face and name. Most times, I could anticipate their arrival because they were on a fairly regular schedule. I learned that from the manager of the first theatre I ever worked for. That was in Detroit.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was the police that let them go not the security guard, the security guard just held them there until the police showed up! [Confused]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As a preventive measure, I used to let police come in and enjoy the airconditioning and free soda and popcorn just to encourage them to make us one of their usual stops when they did their rounds.
We did that at the drive-in where I grew up. I tried to adopt that technique here, but the local rules won't allow it... something about the potential public perception of "different treatment due to gifts being given to the deputies".

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-23-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
something about the potential public perception of "different treatment due to gifts being given to the deputies".

Exactly! That's exactly what I was after. I don't see a problem with that.

To quote Mama Morten in "Chicago": Let's all stroke together / Like the Princeton crew / When you're strokin' Mama / Mama's strokin' you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: