Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Working at multiple theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Working at multiple theaters
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered if it is a conflict of interest if an employee works for two different theaters owned seperatly. I ask this because we had a employee working for two compeating theaters.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-21-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about someone who works for one theater but has multiple personalities?

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok ya got me on that one.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-21-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80's I worked (as a projectionist) in five different theatres in the course of a week:

Phoenix Theatre
Sonomarin D/I
Parkway D/I
Novato Theatre
Cinema II

Of those five, only the drive-ins were owned by the same company. Had no problems whatsoever.

-Aaron

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-21-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about working for three companies in the course of a day? [Smile]

I've always felt that if it didn't cause major scheduling conflicts that couldn't be sorted out among the projectionists then why not. If a company has a problem or policy against it then "don't ask, don't tell" usually works well.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a theatre projectionist in Los Angeles. I worked
for five different companys.
  • GCC
    Pacific
    Mann
    Cineplex
    Laemmle
None of the companies had any problems with the scheduling.
One thing that a few of the companies tried was sharing
projectionists at a few locations. Pacific/Cineplex and
Mann/Pacific. In Westwood the Odeon and the Crest, for a
time was a shared job. Before the Crest theatre started
limited service on the Local 150 contract. In Pasadena,
the Pacific Hastings 8 and the Mann Hastings Ranch 3 was
a shared job. Each of the above theatres were one block
to a half block away from each other. Another thing
Pacific did was shared Drive-Ins. They had two single
screen Drive-Ins about 2-3 mile from each other. So you
start one and then go to the other one to start. You then
drove back to the first one. You also got mileage, wow [Roll Eyes]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-21-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To give you amore serious answer to your question:
Aaron has 4 personalities (I met all 4 of them at the film-tech gathering in Las Vegas).
Now, by working in 5 different locations, there would have been only one potential conflict of interests.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about identical twins working one position at one theatre?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-21-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had that Daryl. [Smile] I hired the first one, then the second one got hired about 2 weeks later--soon after school started back up and they had to cut down so they both took half the shifts and split what one employee would normally do. Only problem is they kept fighting over who was going to take the weekend shifts...they soon left after that. The whole thing didn't last over 2 months.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be more interesting if you didn't know.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-21-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it would but if I ever found out I'd be pretty pissed off!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-21-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about just one person working in just one theater, but in parallel dimensions?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would only be possible in serial dimensions.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the union days it wasn't uncommon for projectionists to work multiple locations, or so I hear. Now most theatres have policies against employees working for different theatre companies. I'm not sure if I agree with this in the case of mininum wage popcorn shovelers. However, it is a reasonable policy for the assistant managers/supervisors of a theatre. Since many 'projectionists' now fall into this category the practice of working at multiple locations is diminishing, though as noted it still occurs.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the twin idea would be some fun jokes, and a lot of confusion.
[Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: