Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » War effected attendance? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: War effected attendance?
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen a major drop in attendance today with the whole war thing brewing? Mine was down considerably. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-19-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too soon to tell for us. I actually live in Oak Harbor, even though the pic profile says I am from Mount Vernon.

Oak Harbor is a sailor town, the home of NAS Whidbey Island and home of the EA6-B "Electric Pig" Prowler aircraft.

So far, we have not experienced a significant drop in attendance to my knopwledge. We, at Whidbey Island, are all in mass support of our troops and president. We just want the job done correctly and swiftly so we can get back to our lives.

I live in the FLMP bounce pattern. Jeeze.....that is hell in itself. [Big Grin]

Security is tight here, Very tight indeed. They were inspecting Deception Pass bridge today, and will be for the next several weeks. Traffic has been reduced to one lane across the bridge. Supposedly, they say it is to inspect the intergrety of the bridge, but I doubt that. [Big Grin]

If we are subject to terrorist attack, we are ready to defend ourselves. I have all my firearms armed and ready. [Smile]

I say agin...PLEASE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND OUR ALLIES WHO STAND BESIDE US.

ooooOOOOOoooooo....air raid sirens just went off in Baghdad, according to the TV news broadcast. Very interesting.....Don't know for sure, but the war might have just started.

It has begun. The President will address the nation at 2215 EST, according to the press secretary.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-19-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The guys I have talked to in Dallas all say attendance is booming through the roof. Must be a Texas thing.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-19-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who is sitting in a theatre, watching a movie...is a looser in life. [eyes] [Smile]

They should just go out and end it all. They will not be missed.
[Eek!]

[ 03-20-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-19-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a little harsh, don't you think Bob? There are a lot of families out tonight. Perhaps they are trying to shield their kids from what is happening. Maybe they feel war will kick in full force and this may be the last chance they have to "get away from it all and get lost in a movie", or do one last fun thing with their kids before war breaks out. Then again, lots of people know that there is nothing they can say or do in their particular situations to change anything, so why sit by the tv all evening worrying about it?

There are probably a lot more reasons for people to get out of the house tonight. That doesn't make them losers.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have went out to a movie if there was just something worth a shit to watch.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business will most likely be down the first couple of days. However people will soon tire of watching TV and come to the movies for a couple of hours for the distraction. I would actually expect to do pretty good business on Saturday (barring any kind of terrorist attack in the country).

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No change in attendance here.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was off tonight but the attendance today was slow, or so they told me...

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our attandance is always slow, on weds nights. [Frown]

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
too early to tell... will have to see how our weekend ends up - but with as busy as we normally are on the weekend I dont think it will have a huge impact?

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a ghost town in our lobby tonight. I think out of 16 shows, only 7 or 8 of them actually sold.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I saw Frida tonight and there was around 10 people in the auditorium. Our place seemed pretty dead as usual for a Wednesday night. I did notice on the drive home, the roads were pretty empty though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Before anyone asks the question, the reason this thread was not moved into the Political Arena is because it is dealing with theater attendance, not political or war issues. [Wink]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a bit slow on 7 out of 8 shows today, -mainly i think, because of Iraq, but i'm afraid - many, and especially young people are watching The Bush/Iraq Reality Show, and not that tragic piece of history it really is. [Frown]
Beside, i don't think they will more likely hit Saddam on the first day, just because cinemagoers all over the world stays away from the cinema to follow the war on tv.

p.

"Let the generals fight and give the soldiers a week off"

[ 03-20-2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Per Hauberg ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: