Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinemark coming to West PA?

Author Topic: Cinemark coming to West PA?
Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 09:08 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope Cinemark has someone actually visit this building site! I work nearby and there is nowhere near enough parking for a 12 screen. [Confused] Also US Airways is the largest local employer and they are cutting back on all their staff,US Air employees are not spending money like they did last summer in this area. Sales are down in most of the shops except for grocery stores and Wal-Mart. [Frown] Also Carmike has an 8 screen directly across the street already! [Eek!] Someone from Cinemark needs to look at this a bit closer! [Roll Eyes]

CENTER TWP. - Center Township officials say a proposed movie theater could spur more development in the already fast-growing township.

And whether or not that happens, if the proposal is approved, Beaver County moviegoers should be in for a treat.

JDN Realty, owners of Township Marketplace on Route 18 in Center, received approval from the township's planning commission on Thursday to build a 12-screen theater adjacent to Shop 'n Save. The theater, which would be managed by Cinemark USA, still must be approved by township supervisors before construction can begin.

As of the end of 2002, Cinemark, based in Plano, Texas, operated 280 theaters and 3,031 screens in 33 states and 13 countries, according to the company Web site. The Center theater would be the company's first entry into the Pittsburgh area and just its fourth in Pennsylvania.

Terrell Falk, Cinemark's vice president of marketing and communications, said she wasn't familiar with the specifics of the proposed Center project, but said the company's recent developments all feature an art deco theme.

"They've been pretty elegant, pretty plush," Falk said. "We've been using chandeliers, nice carpeting, wide open lobbies and lots of design details that should remind our customers of an old-style theater."

She also said most of the new theaters offer features that go beyond a pretty facade, including stadium seating, giving viewers an unobstructed view of the screen.

"The stadium seating concept is a big one, and there's all-digital sound, rocker-back seats with cup holders," she said. "And we typically offer Internet ticketing to make that a little easier on our customers. We try to make it a pretty upscale experience."

Falk also said that while construction time on a new theater can vary depending on the site and weather conditions, the company can generally erect a new building in less than a year.

"If we were able to get started there in the spring, we generally would be able to open sometime around the end of this year," she said.

Frank Vescio, development coordinator for the township, said the theater would be an important piece of the township's overall development puzzle.

"Our hope would be that more entertainment options would bring more restaurants to the area," Vescio said. "Development like this tends to snowball, and we're hoping the theater would have that effect here."

Officials at JDN have the same notion. Andrew Rothfeder, the Atlanta company's executive vice president, said restaurant companies have shown interest in a small vacant parcel of land next to Texas Roadhouse.

"And the feedback we've received is that if we had a movie theater in that area, there's going to be interest in that parcel," Rothfeder said. "I'd feel fairly confident that if we get the theater up and running, we're going to see another restaurant in that space within a year or so.

"We feel like we already have a phenomenal development in that area, and the theater - and a new restaurant - would really round it out," he said. "It will be exciting to see it all come together."

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-09-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please provide a link or at least credit for any articles. Thanks!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at the pace that Cinemark is building right now. It probably would not be complete until late 2004 or early 2005. Cinemark is building but no where near the pace it was a few years ago. It also is possable but not sure that this location has been on the drawing board for a while. That is pretty much what they are building right now. Projects that where on the slate when the slowdown occured,

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-09-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While parking capacity is indeed a legitimate concern, one also has to figure seating capacity inside the theater and how that balances out with the parking.

Some newer theaters with many screens really have very few seats in each auditorium. You could fit 16 or more of the typically tiny AMC theater houses on the footprint of an older 8-plex. Maybe Cinemark is going to build some itty-bitty theaters in the new complex.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-09-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all of Cinemark's current new-builds are at least as nice as the Cinemark 17 they opened here in 1999, your proposed 12-screener should be well-received by moviegoers in that market. As far as parking, don't most local communities have specific formulas for calculating the number of parking spaces required? I just did a Google search on parking space ratios vs. theatre seating, and it looks like in Oregon, typical parking ratios for movie theatres vary between 0.2 parking spaces per seat, and 0.33 spaces per seat (different communities have different standards).

If Carmike's 8-screener across the street is not up to modern standards (like no stadium seating), they might have some success by turning it into a discount theatre if Cinemark does open their new location.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some cases parking ramps have been used at some locations. We have a location here that uses a parking ramp system with parking above and below.

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the missing link, I thought I had copied it with the artical. [Confused] I am not sure about the parking percentages here, but I do know a "Old Country Buffett" pulled out of a deal on the same property mid- summer, saying there was not enough parking. [Confused] That is why I wonder about this deal. Unless they have a really different view of this area, I am not sure the population is large enough to support a 12 plex; but yes, the Carmike here is much older and (my mistake) a 7 plex, not 8, so maybe Cinemark feels they have an chance. But if US Airways goes down, this county is sunk! [Frown]

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7311342&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is the population on average when you include the surrounding counties. How close is this location to the largest metropolis area?

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Largest metro area is Pittsburgh; apx 25 miles to the downtown area. But in between here, Monaca ( http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42007.html total Beaver County Population, 2001 estimate 179,871)and western Alleghany County and Pittsburgh( besides lonely little old me!) are;
Byham Theater, Carmike 10, Carmike 6,Carmike Cranberry 8,Carmike Galleria 6,Carmike Maxi-Saver 12,Carmike Movie World 7,Carmike Plaza 6,Carmike Southland 9,Carnegie Museum of Art,Cheswick Quads,Cinema 4,Cinemagic Bellevue Theater,Cinemagic Denis 4 Theatres, Cinemagic Manor Theatres,Cinemagic Squirrel Hill Theatre,Dependable Drive In,Destinta Chartiers Valley 20,Harmar Cinemas, Kane Road Drive-In,Loews Waterfront Theatre,Melwood Screening Room,Northway Mall Cinemas 8,Oaks Theatre,Penn Cinemas,Pioneer Drive-In,Pittsburgh Harris Theater,Plaza Theater 2,Rangos OMNIMAX Theater at Carnegie Science Center,Regal Moraine Pointe Cinema, Stadium 10,Regent Square Theatre,Showcase Cinemas East,Showcase Cinemas North - Pitt,Showcase Cinemas West,Star City Cinemas - S. Fayette 14,Waterworks Cinema 10,Westgate Cinema,Winter Drive-In.(I used a 30 mile radius search from the proposed location for the new Cinemark)
Some of these are driveins, some are mixed venue, one or two art house venues, but in all , a lot of screens!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Carmike 7-screener is not up to modern standards, they can kiss their ass goodbye if Cinemark comes to town. At least that's what happened here to every theatre in town upon Cinemark 17's opening. Some competitor theatres closed, and the only one that didn't now has about half the business it used to. I forgot to mention that the 17-plex was built in the same mall as an older Cinemark 12-plex. When the 17 opened, the 12 was turned into a discount theater and they seem to be doing very well. Doing the discount thing might be Carmike's only hope of surviving.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: