Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » French Film Festival Protesters/Demonsstrators (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: French Film Festival Protesters/Demonsstrators
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had initiated this post on a different subject but discussions have caused some concerns. We are presenting a French film festival March. 28, 29 & 30 for a major university. With Bush pumping for war, no matter what and anti-French sentiment somewhat higher than usual, what's the chance there will be some protesters?

[ 03-08-2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't say what would be a fair rental for the whole thing, but we also run "contract" movies. The organization is responsible for booking, shipping and paying for the movie and we get paid $200.00 (Canadian) per show to show it. This is to pay for the projectionist, electricity etc. We also run the canteen and sell pop & popcorn to pay for the other staff stc. Normally, organizations only book for one or two shows so I'm not sure how this would go for a festival. Also, our theatre is only 368 seats... so your cost are probably a little higher. Just an idea for you...

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Are you responding to the post above? Bill is asking about protestors, not booking charges and overhead costs. [Confused] [Wink]

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing that Jim is replying to a post in a thread about auditrium rentail pricing started by Joshua Lott.

Bill, I would be a bit surprised if you had a formal protest at your festival. I think it could depend, to a degree, on how and where it was promoted. A big poster with a French flag and "Viva la France" slogans may raise a few eyebrows, but I can't imagine people would actually protest. I think(hope) people have more important things to think about and/or demonstrate against. Do you have a link to a website with the titles you are showing? I'm just curious to see what you have.

If you are at all concerned, it might be worth a call to the local/campus police just to make them aware of what you are doing and your concerns. They might even be willing to drive by and keep an eye on things when they're in the neighborhood.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a related subject, the US House of Representative dining room no longer serve French Fries and French Toast. They now serve "Freedom Fries" & Freedom Toast". I guess the Republican controlled house is just following President Bush's edict "You're with US or against us" Since France is opposed to UN action against Iraq at this time, the House just kicked the French out of the kitchen.

-Claude

[ 03-13-2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 07:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given Chirac's recent behaviour, I think the French film Le Corbeau ('The Raven') should be shown as widely as possible. Directed by a prominent French director and suspected Nazi sympathiser, the film illustrates a case of history repeating itself, IMHO. The only difference is that this time, there'll be no 'resistance' trying to stop Chirac from buying cut-price oil from Iraq in defiance of the UN sanctions, or from him selling Saddam various nasty bits of military hardware...

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VCU campus police (an official part of the Virginia State Police) is providing some off duty plain clothes cops to be in the theatre at all times and to inspect all backpacks, brief cases etc. The university has decided to play low key this year. Festival pass sales are said to be at the same rate as usual. If they are lucky it will sell out in advance and there will be no tickets on sale at the door, it came very near that last year. The official fest. web site is www.frenchfilm.vcu.edu The site has a full list of films and show times etc.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"....With Bush pumping for war..."

I think you should mean "Saddam pumping for war". Given all the escape clauses he was just offered by England, it's pretty obvious he just plain openly defiant.
The US will not be attending the Paris Air Show this year either.
Screw France!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What France Wants

Sample:

quote:
France’s intentions were rendered transparent by President Chirac when, at a meeting of European nations, he responded to criticism of his nation’s stance in the Security Council with the statement that the critics should simply “shut up.” The smaller states of Europe need only look at the coalition Paris has forged with Berlin and Moscow on the issue of Iraq to worry about their future in a European Union dominated by this new triumvirate. It is clear from France’s stance at the United Nations, that if there is an imposing of agenda’s to be done, France is the one that is going to do it.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-13-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said - David.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-13-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I think you should invite Greg to hold the opening speech at the festival.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mike, whenever it is, I'm booked already. Besides I'm on a French Boycott

[fu] France

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I wouldn't want to be anyplace even remotely near your theatre on those days..... I'm booked too...have to go to Wheatfield Wyoming....its a good safe place to be, and I don't think they'll attack us there.....!
Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-14-2003 07:51 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If opinions expressed here are even remotely similar to the general populace (and I think they are) I think we are in for some very unpleasant experiences.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't our politicians find something better to do? For all those agreeing with the french fry renaming.. make sure you tell your representative to not eat their croissants in the morning, nor drink their champagne in the evening along with their caviar at the fancy dinners and fundraisers they go to.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: