Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Survey/Auditorium Rental Cost

Author Topic: Survey/Auditorium Rental Cost
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious as to the various rental costs for auditoriums.

I am looking at about a 100 seat house. Special screening rented out to a local group. Price needs to include build up, screening, and tear town. Standard 35mm.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we do this, it's usually for a "flat" rate film. I usually take the film rental cost and triple it, and that's my rate. I'm always willing to negotiate, but most groups pay it without flinching. (If the film rental is over $200, I'll usually double it rather than tripling.)

If the group wants a private showing of a regular scheduled movie (a midnight show, or a special matinee) we just charge them the regular ticket prices, with a minimum of 30 adult tickets.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GCC used to charge the distributors $400-600 or so for rental for advance screenings, depending on the size of the auditorium. These were usually done on Saturday mornings when nothing else was running (usually 10am-12pm) or on slow nights (Tues/Wed). Obviously there was no film rental involved since the distributor was the one renting the auditorium. No idea what independents charge.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We charge the distributors $700 when they want to use the theatre for sneak previews. That gets them a house crew, a projectionist and a stagehand. That's for one screening, additional screenings (with more than a half hour between), an additional $340. If they want to charge admission, we print the tickets and use an additional ticket-taker, it costs more.

Frank

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua Lott said:
quote:
I am looking at about a 100 seat house. Special screening rented out to a local group. Price needs to include build up, screening, and tear town. Standard 35mm.
Scott Norwood said:
quote:
GCC used to charge the distributors $400-600 or so for rental for advance screenings, depending on the size of the auditorium.
Frank Angel said:
quote:
We charge the distributors $700 when they want to use the theatre for sneak previews.
[Confused] I'm confused! Are we talking about renting out an auditorium to a "local group" that wants a screening of a movie you are playing, a print they are providing, or a print they want to rent? Or, are we talking about renting out ("four-walling"?) a screen for a distributor's sneak preview?

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the others, but I was referring to a four-wall arrangement, where passes would be provided to the customers by the film distributor (usually through radio contests and other promotions) and all the theatre had to do was show the film (and keep whatever profit it made off of concession sales). This was in a multiplex environment, so there was no extra charge for projectionist and other staff, since all of those employees would be there anyway (with the exception of Saturday morning shows).

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was to a local non profit group who wanted to rent a single screen theatre for a few shows. The cost would have included the rental of a film as well.

They wanted to watch a shakespeare movie.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theatre, we usually try to charge what the theatre would make if it sold out for that show...if it's for 2 showings...double...so take your number of seats times admission or whatever price you wanna charge...and add $30 for make up...it usually works

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so take your number of seats times admission or whatever price you wanna charge...and add $30 for make up
Two seperate theatres and screens that we often rent out...

238 seats x $9.50 + $30 = $2311
508 seats x $6.00 + $30 = $3078

Yikes! I don't think anybody would pay that! Do you actually have people rent your theatres at that rate? We usually aim for about $500 or $2 / head.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bill separately for film rental/shipping and theatre rental. Better yet, let the group handle film rental on its own and have them make sure that the print gets shipped to your theatre.

Theatre rental should probably depend on when the group wants to watch their film. For hours when the theatre wouldn't normally be open, $100-200 for the auditorium plus the cost of staff for the length of the show plus 1/2 hour before and after is probably reasonable. For a distributor-sponsored screening, you can probably charge more; for a church or school group, you might want to charge less (especially if you think that many will buy concession items). If they want to rent out the theatre for 7-9pm on a Saturday night, the rental would obviously be much higher, as the theatre would be giving up ticket and concession revenue from the regular show. If you will be providing a followspot, video projector, or other "non-standard" equipment (other than 35mm film projector(s), slide projector, and microphone), then you can probably charge more and add the cost of an operator.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually charge $250-500 depending on the group and the movie chosen (almost always flat rate). They also pay shipping and any incidentals that may arise.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We charge a minimum of $195 per auditorium ( we have two ) for 2 hours. Each additional hour is $100.

If they want to watch our current movie, we charge the minimum above OR $2 adult and $1 child, whichever is greater.

If they want to watch a movie of their choice ( assuming it is available ), we charge $195 plus all costs associated with the film - rental, shipping, buildup/teardown wage cost, etc.

We do about 10 or so rentals a year - mostly to school classes.
Comparatively it is cheap treat for the schools to give the students.

Tony R.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: