Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Asking a patron to depart… (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Asking a patron to depart…
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When is it appropriate to ask patrons to leave an auditorium after a show?

Patrons frequently hang about in the auditorium after the film drops, chatting & socializing. We typically have very tight schedules, regularly less than 10 minutes between shows. The auditorium needs to be cleaned so we can seat for the next presentation.

Is it discourteous to ask the patrons to leave so we can start seating the next show? Or should we just start seating for the next show & hope they take the hint?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-25-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Place the garbage can so that they are between you and the can. Start throwing the garbage from across the auditorium into the can. They'll leave. Especially if you have bad aim.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do find that if I enter the auditorium and continue to open my garbage bag, they will be agitated at least!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're not out by the time your done cleaning, just explain to them that the next show will be starting soon (and that they can't see another for free [Smile] ) and ask them kindly to move to the lobby.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just call the projectionist and request he check his Dolby level with the amps on. Works every time. [Big Grin]

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - That would certainly work, if we had Dolby. [thumbsdown]

Another question:

Is it rude to begin cleaning during the end credits?
I know some with argue that “I paid for the movie, credits included. You shouldn’t be bothering me during the time I paid for.” I observe a “three row” rule. I try not to be within three rows of a patron watching the end credits while cleaning.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-25-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a Tesla coil? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!] [eyes]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-25-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dear, I feel another Olpin Rant comming on:
-------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to point out something Madstone does that i don't like. They give VERY short turnarounds for their films. Sometimies i arive 15 mins early for a show, and i'm told that i have to wait because the previous show has not yet finished. So that leaves me, arms full of consesions (The Madstone Combo of course) Waiting at the door for the door person (who is also the usher by the way) to alow me in. As a CARD HOLDING MEMBER i think i will point this out to management next time i go there. Also the lack of digital sound sucks. Theese auditoriums were at one time THX certified, and i feel that i am not getting the full experience.

end of rant---------------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong. I love Madstone. Often times i call it my "Movie Theatre away from the Movie Theatre." The atmosphere is great and the staff is freindly and helpfull. Usually the picture is in outstanding condition, unless they get a used print. They even have a cool membership program that can get you into advance screenings and stuff.

(This post aplies to the San Diego location. Pics are in the wherehouse under Mann Hazard Center 7, although Madstone has done a lot of remodling since thoose were taken.)

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iff you are off duty and just visiting wearing regular clothes, act drunk and start asking for dates, with guys, or whoever. I know that sounds bad, but I can guarentee that would clear aout an auditorium in just enough time for your' doorman to come in and clean. And if they mention anything to the people who are waiting for the next feature, they will become more patient until they know the theater is cleared. But seriously, If someone want's to watch the credits, let them. But after that, politely tell them the theater has to be cleared for the next showing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-25-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate - Your theater has Dolby in every auditorium. Dolby CP50s! It don't get no better than that! Your projectionist---the smart one--checks the Dolby level when he is bored.

Mike - Please do complain, in writing, to the manager of the theater you speak of. Especially about the digital sound. Make sure you mention that you really enjoy the moviegoing experience there but feel ripped off since they are the only theater in the known world that does not have digital sound. Also be sure to explain that 99% of all art and foreign films etc have Dolby Digital tracks on them. Ask them why your home sounds better than their theater. If they respond, you'll probably get the "Oh but we have a curtain in our big house" or "We just concentrate on bringing you movies you normally can't see elsewhere" or "Look at our fantastic lobby" or "You can play Hangman and Tic-Tac-Toe with our amazing slide presentation" lines. Hold your ground. Don't give up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-25-2003 05:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you happen to have a followspot in the booth, it can be a really useful tool for getting people to leave the auditorium. The actual procedure is left as an excercise for the interested reader.

Alternatively, a slide that says something like "hey, you--yes, you--get the hell out of the theatre" might work well.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-25-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not like to be a patron in an autotorium where the ushers come running into the theatre when the credits are on the screen. I enjoy reading all of the credits as many of my friends are involved with production.

Wether I purchase a ticket or enter on a pass, it make no difference and I get annoyed when the movie is still running and people are trying to clean. The movie is not over until all the credits have been seen.

If your company is scheduling shows to tight for clean up, this should be discussed with management. I would not return to a theatre that did not respect the right of the patron.

I would then write a letter to managment and explain that they need to take a course in management and customer relations.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is rude to begin cleaning before the credits are done and the auditorium is cleared. Once the film is done and the house lights are turned up, staff may politely ask people to move their conversations to the lobby so the auditorium can be cleaned.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-45 has a useful facility that generates pink noise if you press A-type and SR simultaneously and hold them down for a few seconds. If your cinema is so equipped and the customers won't leave after the show, start the pink noise, then turn the volume up so loud you can hear it through the wall of the projection box, then watch the buggers jump! [Big Grin]

If anyone complains, explain innocently that this was a routine technical test which customers should not have heard because they should not have been in the auditorium when it was carried out...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: