Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Palm Springs, CA area (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Palm Springs, CA area
Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody out there in Film-Tech land in the Palm Springs CA area. I am transfering out there to a new theatre and would like to know where is a good place to live among other things. Any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-19-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you make the transfer, I would suggest you look at the cost of living index in that area. It is, so I have been told, extremely expensive. California is a nice state to visit, but I certainly would no want to live there. The state of Washington picked California transplants because of high prices. Once I heard that car garages were rented out as dwellings, for about 600 bucks a month.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a beautiful desert community, as desert communities go. Never lived there, but I'll bet the cost of housing is very high. Bring lots of sunscreen and hope to hell your car has air conditioning. [Wink]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like what Paul said California is expensive. I was paying
$975 for a two bedroom apartment in Santa Monica near the beach.
I would drive around 45 mins. to get to the studio in Hollywood.
When I got transfered to New York, I had to look for a place.
Friends said to look in Brooklyn, Queens or Jersey. I found
a very apartment in the city. Now I pay $1775 for a one bedroom in midtown Manhattan in the Theatre District.
Palm Springs is a expensive area too. Other cities around the
area are Desert Hot Springs (just north of Palm Springs),
Cathedral City (just south of Palm Springs), Banning (just west
of Palm Springs on I-10), Moreno Valley (west of Palm Springs).

Good Luck in Cali

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What he is probably looking for is information for the cathedral city area since that is where he will be going.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was paying
$975 for a two bedroom apartment in Santa Monica near the beach.

Recently, though? Today that would be a steal!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, That was two years ago. [Wink]

One apartment I saw on the upper West Side with one bed room,
was going for $2300. [Eek!]

The apartment I have here in midtown is 1 1/2 blocks from work.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle:

If you can take the drive try Banning or Beaumont about 30 to 45 minutes west of Palm Springs. They are in the mountain pass and a lot prettier place to live. Probably cheaper too.

Bob
The Old Showman

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the cost of living index and found what I would be payed is what I would need for the increase and a raise. I followed a few of the index, one on msn, one on some gov sight, and a few others. I did some homework before I accepted the offer, but my wife will make more than me out there. I am not the only $$$ maker.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

What company are you working for in Palm Springs? I wish I had done soem research on the cost of living before I came to Santa Barbara.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy

So how is it working for Metropolitan Theatres??
Santa Barbara is a nice place to live.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 06:54 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider the Indio/Coachella area for more modestly priced housing but still freeway close to metropolitan Palm Springs. Good luck!

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Your right, Santa Barbara is a nice place. Working for Metropolitan Theatres is somewhat dissapointing. I find them to be too micro-managed and alot of things I have learned in previous theatre jobs such as promotions, marketing and human resources are no use to me here. Plus I hate the location Im at.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark, is in Cathedral City....beside Palm Springs

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-03-2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our managers is from Palm Springs. He says there is nothing there but desert and golf courses. He also said that there are huge scorpions and spiders and drew pictures of them to freak me out (I am a bit arachnophobic). He was also bitten by a spider and suffered from heavy fever afterwards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: