Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ground Breaking Ceremony - Stardust Drive-In Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Ground Breaking Ceremony - Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you know, I've been lurking and posting on this site for several years. Today we took the leap of theatre ownership as we broke ground on the construction of the new Stardust Drive-In Theatre - located 35 miles east of Nashville, in Watertown, Tennessee.

Below you'll see some photos from this mornings ceremony with some of my comments below.

-
This is the "Coming Soon" sign I put up on Sunday afternoon in the snow. The sign's still there, but the snow has melted away.

-
It's great to have a supportive family. Pictured above from Left to Right:
My wife's Stepfather, my wife's mother, my lovely wife Dawn - holding our 5 month old son Wesley, Me and our 2 1/2 year old son Christopher (below), my mom, wife's sister, and wife's father (in the hat).

-

The official "breaking of the ground", pictured above.. the Watertown City Council members, Tennessee State Senator Stratton Bone, Me and Dawn and Christopher, Bill Schultz - President of the Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Jeff Tunks - Executive Director of the Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Ricky Rodrigues - Director of the Wilson County Tourism Board, and members of the Wilson County Joint Economic and Development Commission.

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear, may the best of your past be the worst of your future.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

I am glad to see that you have gotten your project to the building stage. I hope you have a succesfull and trouble free grand opening.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, Congratulations! Keep us up to date as construction progresses and the big day approaches.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Barry...
You're not fooling me with those shovels!!!

I want to hear about the dynamite! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, your right about the dynamite. The shovels went in about 3 inches before hitting rock!!

Our engineer estimated the costs for the grading of the theatre to be somewhere around $75k - $85k. Our first bid came in at $389,000.00, our second bid was $313,200.00, and our third bid was a little more acceptable at $166,320.00. Still, the lowest bid is more than twice than what we had anticipated. We've gone back to the drawing board on the site grading and are lowering the entire site by 1.5 feet. It results in a litle more "cut" at the rear of the lot, but significantly reduces the total volume of fill material required.

Those dang parking ramps are EXPENSIVE!!!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! May the stars shine brightly on your drive-in, and the cars there outnumber the stars. [Smile]

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, Barry...an inspiration to the rest of us!!! [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-12-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Keep us all informed of your progress. Good luck with the drive-in!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! [thumbsup]

Don't forget to take LOTS of pictures all the way through the construction up to your grand opening. Send 'em in and we'll make a huge picture page.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry:

Good luck and I hope all your shows are sold out! Your drive-in theater should do very well with all the publicity surrounding the construction.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-13-2003 03:29 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Good luck with your new drive in theatre when it opens in May. I have very fond memories of the many happy hours I had spent at our outdoor theatres here in Hawaii when I was a young man.

-Claude

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-13-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

It is great to see your "Dream" come true. Wishing you all the best. I love it that you had the whole family standing by your side. Congratulations.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-13-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Barry! I know it's going to be a fantastic theatre, with perfect sightlines from every space! You're really doing it up right.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Wishes to you and your family on your big new theatre!
I'm impressed by the backing and support you've achieved from family, friends, community and government! Planning Done Right!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: