Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre Survival Skills

Author Topic: Theatre Survival Skills
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Sacramento Bee had a interesting acticle about the
Crest Theatre vs. a planned 10 plex to be built across the
street.

www.sacbee.com/content/business/story/6088292p-7044357c.html

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-11-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Crest's operators had better figure it out and fast. They will quickly find that customer loyalty is more fickle than the weather. Once they try the new place with decent seats, bright picture and superior sound, along with the other amenities noted they will be gone. Century's greater booking power will result in the Crest getting many films only when Century has decided not to run them or has played them out.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, when I first opened this thread, I was hoping it would be tips on the best ways to make booby traps out of spare projector parts, which booth cleaners are edible, tips for stalking patrons, and instructions on how to make a ghillie suit out of old trailers [Smile]

I guess I'll have to keep waiting on that one... *sigh*

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too typical of the press --

"All chain theaters, bad; all independent theaters, good."

"All Hollywood product, bad; all independent film good."

If the Crest was so big on "independent film" why did it not play Star Wars: Episode 2?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-11-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the Crest was so big on "independent film" why did it not play Star Wars: Episode 2?
I don't understand your question. If it was meant to be funny, I don't understand the humour.

Have you seen the Crest? It's a beautifully restored art deco palace. The original auditorium is unaltered. I can think of no better place to experience the recent edition of Metropolis or last month's Silent Film Festival (with live accompaniment on the organ!). The other two screens are in the basement of the building next door.

Just because the building is old doesn't mean that the blah multiplex experience is better.

It is obvious to everyone around here that a 10-plex across the street from a 3-plex playing the same product is gonna kill the little guy. This isn't Manhattan.

Stop buying your crack in Jersey.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, Charles, it DID play TITANIC in the summer of 1998 as part of their big screen film festival. Will THAT satisfy you?

Independent theatre operators seem to be the last hope of hanging on to and providing us with unique film-going experiences.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'd much rather go to a small old theater, than a shoe box theater. Not to say all big google-plexs are shoe boxes, but many are.
There's just something cozy and comforting about an old theater

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-11-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An older theatre with "Film Done Right" projection and sound can be the equal of any modern multiplex. Add modern confortable seats, plenty of legroom, attention to sight lines, and a dash of old fashioned "Showmanship" from caring staff, it's hard to beat. [Cool]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill E. got it right and I back him up.

There was a similar situation in Miami Beach a few years ago. When Regal opened its South Beach megaplex a 2-screen indie arthouse cried wolf because Regal got some movies the indie wanted. Free enterprise, baby!

FWIW Star Wars: Episode 2 IS an independent film. Lucasfilm fully financed all of Episode 1 and Episode 2 -- production, promotion, P&A. Fox only took a fee to distribute.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-11-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Independent films are the ones that typically have a difficult time getting made, much less picked up and distributed, much less opening on 8,000 screens.

The Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers "sees independent film as all those films which defy the system -- be it in regard to financial assistance/control or just in the film's format or approach."

Since Charles seems to like catch phrases, I'll mention that the Crest doesn't limit itself to "indiewood" films ("independent" films distributed by the likes of Miramax and Sony Pictures Classics).

Rick Green
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Rick Green   Email Rick Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm mostly a lurker, you can almost count my posts on one hand. More importantly, I've been a part-time projectionist at the Crest for almost sixteen years. What I'm about to say is my own opinion, and is not necessarily a reflection of the Crest management. The staff, owners and management of the Crest are some of the most dedicated, sincere and yes, nice people I've ever worked with. Several of them, (myself included) have worked for chains such as UA and Syufy. Been there, done that, I'll take a theater like the Crest any day. To top it off, the Crest is the last full-time union booth in Sacramento. I already know Syufy's position on the IATSE.....

The owners and management know exactly what Syufy has up its sleeve. And hopefully we can illuminate the contents of that sleeve for the city fathers, who profess to be conceerned with the Crest's continued well-being. One thing that the Crest has going for it is the many live events and concerts that add significantly to the bottom line. We do run a lot of film (with Film Guard)through our three screens- and we do our best to make it "Film Done Right".

Finally, a few words of caution to the industry in general:
You'll notice that I allude to my part-time status as a projectionist. I saw the writing on the wall- I have been a television professional in the capacity of camera operator, editor and now as a producer for some years.

Trust me... when the average person that I come in contact with learns of my projection background, I hear one question continually: "Why do so many of the theaters run so badly today?" I tell them exactly why, explaining that the reason the film was out of frame for a half hour was because the "projectionist" was probably shoveling popcorn or pouring soft drinks. Folks, the PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING!! It is in that spirit that theaters like Sacramento's Crest are trying to survive. In my opinion, the public will be the ultimate loser if such theaters are allowed to perish.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're the only independent in the Richmond metro area of about a million population. It's hell booking around the 600 lb. gorilla of exhibition. We do mainstream second run evenings, artsy/foreign on Sat. & Sun. afternoons and Sat. midnights aimed at the 16 to 24 year olds just to stay alive. We have excellent bright projection, good 4 channel analog sound. The place is gorgeous,(check our site byrdtheatre.com) but if the product isn't excellent nobody comes even with $2.00 tickets. We opened Greek wedding last Sat. nite to around 900 patrons at the 7.15 and just a few less on the 9.30, the best night we've had in a year. The distributor had to get the OK from Regal's booker before we could get it, even though it opened on video 2 days later. The system doesn't make it easy for the little guy. I wish the Crest well.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Crest also runs 'revival' pictures in addition to newer 'arthouse' stuff- it was the last carbon-arc changeover booth in town, but I heard it was recently converted to a platter system [Frown]
Putting a new 'arthouse' theater next to it isn't a good idea- I thought Century was building a new 'regular' theater downtown too? Seems they could do that and use the 7-screen for arthouse films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: