Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Film Done Wrong - VERY WRONG (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Film Done Wrong - VERY WRONG
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended the January 31 7:15pm "sneak" showing of Chicago at the UA (now Regal)East Hills Mall 10. Arriving at the box office at 7:10pm, it took until 7:20 until I entered the auditorium. Apparently, there were no previews or ads, because the movie seemed to already have been on for a few minutes. As the theatre was nearly full, and no one seemed to be complaining, I must have been the only who noticed that the movie was being shown with a scope lens on their full-width scope screen. When I went out to complain, I was offered a refund and took them up on the offer. For all I know, they ran the rest of the film that way.

The following evening I went back (stupid me!) First of all, they showed 15 minutes of ads and previews, all in scope. FIRST clue something was wrong. An added benefit was that all ads and previews played back in analog sound, which in this theatre (DTS equipped)has a horrible blurriness that sounds like a tension problem. Although I've complained about this several times, it has not been fixed over the two years since I first heard it (once the DTS micks in, it actually sounds quite good). The frame was also off enough to see the negative joins on scope-originated material. Then, CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND came on the screen, with proper DTS soundtrack kicking in. Well, the theatre was in an uproar. It took them five minutes to turn it off. And and usher peeked his head in the back door (instead of coming sown to the front) to say it would be about 10 minutes before they got CHICAGO up and running. Well, when CHICAGO finally started, it was once again in SCOPE. Well, this time I went to demand to see the manager about the screw-up. I was'nt the only one, either. Five others kept coming out to complain about picture and the bad (analog) sound. AFTER I complained and told them EXPLICITLY what was wrong, another customer came out and said something was wrong and was asked, "what is so wrong with it?" and he told them "Well, go in and look at it!" whiuch they didnt bother to do. So I went back in and they finally changed the lens and popped in the DTS disks, clearing up the sound. BUT, the scope apeture plates were still in place and STAYED that way, causing the image to project all the way to the floor and ceiling. Other people were complaining at this point. I complained again, telling them to change their apeture plates. The ticket taker explained the manager was the only one on duty and was upstairs fixing the problem. So I went back to the auditorium AGAIN, and they had cut the volume way down to almost NOTHING during the scene when Roxie shoots her lover (you could BARELY hear the gunshot). The audience was in a near riot over this. Still, NO personnel came in to the theatre to explain what was being attempted to fix the problem. Several of us asked if they would start the film from the beginning (now that everything was finally working perfectly) The person in the lobby kept saying "they are working on that right now." But they DIDNT start from the beginning (I wasnt the only one asking for this). I was finally told "these are really old projectors" and couldnt be re-wound. Huh? They are six-and-a-half year old projectors, and I KNOW nothing was wrong with them. This was ALL due to operator error, a manager who didn't have a clue as to what she was doing. (Except for the bad analog sound, there is nothing wrong with the projected image). After being assured several times they would back up the projector, I was now told they wouldn't. I challenged their statement that they couldn't back up the film, considering they had in fact done that to get CONFESSIONS off the projector. It was then she looked at her watch and saying it would take too long. BUT, if I was unsatisfied with the presentation, I could always get a refund. I asked if she thought MIRAMAX would be satisfied with the presentation, but got a repeat of the refund offer. No apology for my waste of time. NOTHING!

I had hoped customer service would have improved since Regal took over, but apparently not.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, if you haven't already, you should visit www.regalcinemas.com and send an on-line comment card to them. These comments DO get sent to the regional & local managers. I think they still limit these comments to to 255 chars, so you will have to make it very brief. You should get a reply from Regal fairly promptly, probably from Clint Roberts. Once you have his email, you can then send him the gory details. When the local people are as incompetent as you describe, corporate needs to hear about it. You and everyone else who experienced this deserves a refund and an apology.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I first attempted to do that, but there IS that 255 letter limit, so I'm writing out a full letter to them. I just couldn't get it all in.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

That is a very sad story. I could tell you a similar one, but I CAN'T. (arr, heck, Yes, No, I can't tell)

I can understand maybe the automation was set wrong and/or one too many foils on feature start, for the 'sneak' (It happens)

There are many needed different settings for...
-Feature only W/S
-Feature only C/S
-Trailers & Feature W/S
-Trailers & Feature C/S
-Trl1 in w/s, trl2 in c/s, feature in w/s, c/s etc..
-Ads, Trls & Feature W/S or C/S...... Well it just goes on.

But to have it happen even worse on your second trip, well there is clearly something wrong at that place. (The probelem should have been noted in the diary and followed up)

The W/S lens up with a C/S aperture plate is a worry. (they should work together, along with the masking)

The projection room must have a load of Choc-toppers in there. We got rid of those about 5 years ago (and about 2 months after they got in there)

Going after the Shift or Location Manager is an option. But I think the Head/Cheif projectionist is the person to talk to. Things WILL then be sorted out.

Some managers tend to think they know everything about it ALL, but really all they do is order floor staff around (unless they do bio/mgr) in the end your problem needs be addressed to an experienced projectionist.

From your description it sounds like equitment failure. So there should have been someone (who knows what they are doing) there to fix it straight away, for the next run.

Bill.

[ 02-10-2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Bill Langfield ]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Going after the Shift or Location Manager is an option. But I think the Head/Cheif projectionist is the person to talk to. Things WILL then be sorted out.
WHAT head or chief projectionist? That's part of the problem. This theatre doesn't really have one. THe whole history of this particular theatre is one of uncaring. I have MANY examples.

Once I complained about the picture being out-of-focus AND frame being quite a bit off, I was told "it don't matter, its just the previews." As though the problem would be fixed in time for the feature. I complained a second time ten minutes later. STILL, "it don't matter."

Disney's JUNGLE BOOK, shown with a scope lens. The person I was directed to complain to didn't understand what the problem was. BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY where the cue to switch lens, apeture plate, and curtain mask open NEVER worked and was shown flat. I knew numerous people who saw this feature at various times and had to go out and complain. At both showing I saw, I also complained, and received a puzzled look by the manager, who said "it's supposed to be automatic." Well, I would THINK someone would get a clue the automation wasn't working when they had to go change it manually every single time (and this apparently went on for several weeks). And 75 percent of ALL flat films projected were badly off-frame. Sometimes I succeeded in letting them know, sometimes not.

Another time I told them to change the lens on a film to scope, and they did it manually, without bothering to check to see if the masking opened up. It took ANOTHER trip out of the auditorium to alert them to that.

This is the basic problenm. They don't bother to check and see if there are any OTHER propblems going on once they fix one.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is similar to the botched sneak preview of "Just Married" that I posted about last month. The show was started 30 minutes early, run 10 minutes into the movie, and stopped, and restarted from that point at 7:30, meaning that at least two thirds of the people in the auditorium didn't get to see the first 10 minutes.

I'm thinking of avoiding sneak previews, since I think they're more likely to have screwups like this than normal features that are run all week.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the problems they are having are consistant, then why do you go there again & again.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped going for several years. However, since Regal took over, I decided to take another chance, and the presentation was quite good for HARRY POTTER. But this last experience will keep me away for probably another few years. Unfortunately, if an indie or foreign film comes to town, this is usually the only theatre that gets it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, Regal has fixed several issues that I've complained about at their Eugene theatres in the last couple years: shutter ghosting, light from the booth washing out the screen, and a dead subwoofer come to mind. And whoever did their upgrade to SDDS-8 for "Spider-Man" did a great job EQ'ing the place. [Smile] As with most such things it probably depends a lot on the individual(s) involved.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R eally
E vil
G uys
A t
L arge

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After being assured several times they would back up the projector, I was now told they wouldn't. I challenged their statement that they couldn't back up the film, considering they had in fact done that to get CONFESSIONS off the projector. It was then she looked at her watch and saying it would take too long. BUT, if I was unsatisfied with the presentation, I could always get a refund.
Technicaly you can't back the film up. However you can Cut it and reinsert it without any problem. It all takes about two to five minutes to do this. Didn't UA used to have projectionists for there theatres. I guess they went out in favor of badly trained management.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you're not alone. I stopped going to the Loews in New Brunswick NJ when it f&${d up a Saturday matinee bigtime. Search Ground Level for the thread "Attention Managers and Owners...."

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technicaly you can't back the film up. However you can Cut it and reinsert it without any problem. It all takes about two to five minutes to do this. Didn't UA used to have projectionists for there theatres. I guess they went out in favor of badly trained management.
The actual statement was they backed it up by hand. I've been to Edwards twice when they have (allegedly) done the same thing. UA theatres locked out projectionists up in San Francisco and LA in the late 70's. In Bakersfield, it was around 1982 when they were locked out. Picket lines stayed for months (and many newspaper ads). But they eventually disappeared at the other theatres as well. Only Mann theatre's Crest Drive-In still employed union operators (on a part-time basis), but this ended when the screens closed in 1999.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-10-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The actual statement was they backed it up by hand.
I bet there are lots of nice fingerprints all over that print now.

It's so easy to do a center drop without even cutting the film on most equipment... arrrg!

Cheap executives should be forced to sit through the presentations some of their theatres put on.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-10-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that they were running the show off a platter, the film couldn't exactly be "rewound," but it could be re-started from the beginning _if_ only a short length (roughly 20 minutes or fewer) had been run through. The way to do this would be to stop the show, unthread the projector, walk over to the takeup platter, remove the center ring (with the film wrapped around it), and carefully unthread all rollers while taking up film on the center ring. This mass of film can then be dropped back into the center of the feed platter. This takes fewer than five minutes to do and works best with two people.

This sort of screw-up is completely pathetic, and the crappy customer service that the theatre provided when made aware of the problem just makes it worse. They should have just admitted that they messed up and offered passes to the entire audience. Then, they should have allowed those who wanted to stay to watch the rest of the film.

The manager at a theatre where I fill in fairly regularly writes movie reviews as a hobby and has told me some "interesting" stories about various press screenings which he has attended.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: