Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cranking "Cleaning lights" up too fast at the end of a film! (And I'm still there!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cranking "Cleaning lights" up too fast at the end of a film! (And I'm still there!)
Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

There has been an irritating thing that a local multiplex theater in Victoria, BC has just started doing.

The credits come up, the automation hits (a wonderful cross-cue that is easily visible on screen and bumps the soundtrack ever so slightly), and then we see the garbage cleaners file in almost a few seconds. To make matters worse, one cleaner hits the "cleaning lights" (very very VERY bright halogen lights) which come on at full blast, making the reading of film credits very difficult. (I even heard one couple at a screening remark "Oh, the garbage cleaners are here. We better leave.") [Mad]

This happened both times I visited this particular theater this weekend, and was very frustrated by the "Thank you, now GET OUT" attitude that the management seems to impose on their customers. If this persists when I go back next week, I will certainly complain to management, but I shouldn't have to.

Has anyone had a similar situation with this?

Regards,

Jason

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 03:19 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to turn the cleaning lights on full if we had less than 8 minutes of intermission time in an effort to try to move the customers out so the ushers could clean quicker in a busy auditorium.

I did feel bad to blind the patrons with the cleaning lights [eyes] but it did beat seating 2 minutes before the show started or just having a dirty theatre.

No matter what, it's rude. Customers pay for the whole film, it's just plain annoying to have lights & ushers everywhere the second a film hits end credits.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have terrible troubles with usherettes (one in particular) switching cleaners' lights on while people were watching credits and/or forgetting to switch them off after admitting customers for the next show.

In the end I got a bit Nazi about it and made it known that on the first occasion this happened, the cleaners' lights in all screens would be switched off at the master breaker and thereafter would stay off for the rest of the day. After some initial mieowing and hissing, they got the message.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theater, unless we had a pretty tight turnaround time (which we havent seen in a long time), the cleaning lights go on when the last person has the left the auditorium. The only other exception would be if the ushers were in some kind of rush. In that case, the lights would come on as soon as the lights came up and the wonderful non-sync came on to entertain movie goers everywhere.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 07:51 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im running 'Catch Me If You Can' with a 4 minute turn around. I turn the lights on my self if the audience has left, otherwise the breaker Leo mentioned stays off.

Also if you clean with only house lights, you can make it look spotless, its only when the cleaners lights are on you see all the little bits under seats etc. So most experienced ushers use this trick to aid fast turn arounds. The sceen then gets fully cleaned on a morning and in any large gaps in films.

Darren

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that "rushes" the audience out of the auditorium before the final credit shows disregard for the customer AND the filmmakers. "Showmanship Done Wrong". [Frown]

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, glad to see you are still posting to some boards other than Home Theater. [Big Grin] I used to have this problem at my theater, but not usually with the ushers. Occasionally when we were short staffed on a busy weekend the company would call the company which handled the overnight cleaning of the theater and have a couple people sent out. They were used to cleaning with the flourescent lights on so they turned them on and often not waiting for people to exit. Some of them didn't understand (or want to admit to understanding) english so I made up signs in Spanish and communicated the problem to their supervisor.

The real problem with them switching the lights on from inside the auditorium was that the switches are faulty. If you don't push the switch all the way up/down it will still turn the lights off/on but cut off the projectionists ability to turn on the lights at the end of the night from the booth. So now the closing projectionist has to go down stairs, switch the light, go back upstairs, try the switch and if it still didn't work go back downstairs and flick the switch the other way. BIG PAIN IN THE ASS. I always waited to turn the house lights up until everyone left the theater and if the ushers requested I would turn on the cleaning lights after that.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I was on pass to see a movie at GCC Hollywood
Galaxy Theatre. They started to clean during the end credits.
This theatre gives alot of time during intermissions. It was a
5 o'clock show during the week, with about 40 people. After the
show I got one of those GCC comment cards from the lobby. The
next day I sent it in. Around that time I worked afew shifts at
GCC Sherman Oaks. A few weeks later my manager comes into the
booth and gives me the comment card that he just got for the
DM. He told me that I should not send these cards. Because they
go to Boston, before coming back to the district office in LA.
So everytime the DM came to the theatre, he would ask send in
any cards lately [Wink]

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 10:47 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the general concensus to the question of the cleaning lights coming on, I would say that doing this is both tacky and unprofessional.
It becomes even worse when it is done to blatantly save a tiny amount of money!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once complained enough (huge under-statement) about having the lights turned on during the credits that I got myself a cash refund.

I asked the manager why they didn't have the cleaning lights on during the 12 minutes of ads and 15 minutes of trailers. He told me that people would get upset if they couldn't see them. I then asked him how much more upset they would be about not being able to see the ads than I was about the credits. He then immediately gave me my refund. [Smile]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the show ends, dump the trash cans on the floor and say "That's for not waiting til the end of the movie!" [Big Grin]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this happen a number of times. I simply take my business elsewhere. I don't tell anyone or complain...I'll just take my dollars to places that "do film right".

Why don't I complain? Because it just doesn't do any good. Letters aren't answered, and complaints to corporate just get free passes which I can't use for the films I want to see when I want to see them.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although letters or complaints to the local theatre may not help, don't give up. Someone "up the chain of command" may care, especially those on the technical side (e.g., VP Projection, VP Engineering, VP Operations). Copy them on any complaints. Likewise, distributors do care how their films are shown, including cutting off of the closing credits:

http://www.filmjournal.com/applications/guides/alpha.cfm?PageID=11111170

http://www.filmjournal.com/applications/guides/alpha.cfm?PageID=11111130

http://www.boxoffice.com/scripts/content.asp?terms=2042

http://www.boxoffice.com/buyers.html

Be polite, and provide the needed details to investigate the problem, including theatre location, date, time, and names of any theatre personnel you dealt with.

If you want to provide additional feedback on presentation quality, here are some guidelines:

http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/SMPTEEVALPROG.pdf

http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/TAPGUIDELINES.pdf

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I complained to a UA theatre when they turned the janitor lights on during the credits (among several other inexcusable problems) and was given 4 passes, but the next time I went they did it again! Since UA had merged or whatever with Regal after that, there was then no way to contact anyone regarding that particular theater.
It would be nice to be able to contact the studios about presentation quality but not sure who to contact about that. Since I've been working at a non-theater job I've made an effort to go to all films that use the PHONE-THX service though.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-03-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of dumping a bucket of popcorn on the floor in a very messy fashion. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: