Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What's an "EDB One Sheet"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's an "EDB One Sheet"?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My curiosity has finally gotten the better of me; what does "EDB" stand for in the context of one-sheets? When one orders one-sheets from TES, for some films they are "One Sheet EDB"; others are just plain "One Sheet" (and then there are "One Sheet Revised", etc.).

I suppose the only thing I can conclude is that EDB one-sheets cost $5.00 when other one-sheets are cost-of-shipping only.

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard the term "EDB", but one GUESS would be the one-sheets designed for illumination by either back-light, or front-light. As I recall, these need to be printed on both sides to achieve the needed density, and on translucent stock, perhaps making them more expensive to manufacture.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOTE: EDITED BY AUTHOR TO PARAPHRASE TES'S REPLY RATHER THAN QUOTING THEIR EMAIL VERBATIM.

EDB stands for "Exhibitors Direct Billing". Certain studios charge $5.00 per poster, plus the cost of the mailing tube and shipping. Buena Vista, Lions Gate Films, Columbia Pictures, and Miramax Films are "EDB". Other studios do not have an EDB charge -- the exhibitor only pays for shipping.

[ 01-28-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I learn something new every day! [Smile]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say that it seems appropriate for this question to have been handled the way that it was. If the point was to ask TES, well, I'd have done that. *grump*

In any case, John, pretty much all one-sheets do the back-illumination thing...

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the point was to solicit an answer to a question and share the information with others? I guess in the future I will avoid responding to anything from you since you ALWAYS seem to have a problem with anything I say, regardless of how well-intentioned. You and I should just pledge never to read (or at least not to respond to) each other's posts.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John (Hawkinson), why so harsh? It isn't as if David did anything in your name. You asked, and he found an answer. Perhaps your question piqued his curiosity as well, and he shared the answer to his own query. It really isn't much different than someone providing a weblink in response to another post. Is that inappropriate as well?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The abovementioned John Shollenberger of TES has always been not only helpful, but quick to respond when I've written in to them.

The phone service people have been very nice lately too.

So as bad as TES can be, I do think they have some people there who really want to help us and are willing to listen to suggestions.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see if I can say this without offending anyone or terribly prolonging the sort of discussion I don't think is appropriate for Film-Tech. Anyone is free to raise concerns they have to me in private email. I hope the public discussion stops here.

I certainly was not attempting to attack David as a person, and I apologize for coming across as if I had.

It's easy to forget that posting on Film-Tech is really posting publically on the Internet, and if it wasn't your intent to ask something publically on the Internet, then you shouldn't post at all. I conclude I should not have asked.

As for this case, I think that if someone asks a question on Film-Tech, where it's quite clear the question can be answered by going to a particular external resource, then it's probably not appropriate for people answering the question to go ask that particular external resource; otherwise the initial querrant would have done so.

Further, in this case, I don't really think it's a good idea for people who are not Technicolor customers to be encouraged to contact Technicolor and ask them questions that have no relevence other than to Technicolor customers. Clearly the following is an exaggeration, but I'd be terribly embarassed if asking a [trivial] question about TES on film-tech caused 100 registered film-tech users to send email to TES asking my question.

Personally, I thought it wasn't worth bothering TES with this particular question. So I'm that much more horrified that someone else chose to do so as a direct result of something I did. Sure, it was not done in my name, but it was still a clear direct result.

Mike: Full agreement. John is great; I believe he's the manager of the marketting materials group.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-28-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee! Moderation time... I'll pick on both of you just too be fair: [Smile]

John - Personally I'd be concerned about why I was being billed extra for some posters whereas I was only paying shipping on others. Especially seeing I already pay a fixed promotional material rate to the studios, per screen, every year. If I had've looked early today I could've answered your question... too late.

Dave - Don't forget that the forum rules explicitly state that you are not allowed to quote email's without the senders consent.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl - Point taken. I'll go back and paraphrase it, while still attributing the information to TES.

jhawk - I spent some time with various search engines trying to find the answer to your post and came up with not much (well, there was that one related link...). You probably did the same thing. In the process of searching, I of course came across the TES support page, so I figured, well, I'm here, I'll just ask them. I did not represent myself as an exhibitor or anything remotely like that. I was a member of the general public asking a question, and they were nice enough to answer me (promptly too). It was TES's option whether or not to respond with any information at all. If they had asked me "Are you an exhibitor?", I would have said "No."

[ 01-28-2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 05:14 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be very appreciative of any forum member doing whatever they could to answe a question I had, But thats just me.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, now I know what EDB stands for [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is about as ridiculous as it gets. If someone asks a question I do not think the person answering it ought to be criticized for the method they used to come up with an accurate answer (assuming no animals are harmed or other bad things done yada yada). If someone knows the answer, great. If someone doesn't but they want to take the time to look it up--sure maybe the questioner could have done it but they didn't; they asked here. Are we going to criticize John Pytlak because he found an answer online for us? Jeez louise.

OK, from now on if someone wants to specify limitations on how an answer is to be obtained then they better specify them with the question otherwise all methods are fair game (see previous comment about harm to animals and other bad things. Oh, and by bad things it means things ordinarily perceived as bad which an email to TES or whatever is not.)

Alrighty...now that that is cleared up I'd like to know who was Vice President under President Tyler. But only answer if you know...no books...no internet...and PLEASE absolutely no emails to TES. [evil]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-30-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't John Tyler choose NOT to appoint a vice president?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: