Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Chicago Sneaks 1/25 and 1/26 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Chicago Sneaks 1/25 and 1/26
Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone explain the logic of this to me? Chicago has been playing in some theatres for several weeks now, and I just checked the showtimes in my area, and a couple of theatres are having sneaks of it, running in place of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I know both films are made by Miramax, however it doesn't make sense.

Someone please shed some light on this.

|  IP: Logged

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it too !

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all I know is that it raked in the people. Maybe this is miramaxes way of deciding if it is worth expanding into the same markets. I think it would be well worth it.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 03:15 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe this is miramaxes way of deciding if it is worth expanding into the same markets.
Yeah, but there were sneaks at some theatres in town while some others were already playing it.
If it wasn't playing in town at all, I could understand.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 03:26 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. We got the sneak and pretty much every other theater had it already; but we had about 80+ people!

I maybe see some logic in this. Since some sort of sporting event is going on Sunday ("the game" I believe.) Miramax felt that Confessions's target audience would be at home, while Chigago's target audience would rather go out, and they'd earn some oscar buzz in the process. Saturday (4pm-ish) was the "sneak" of Sunday's (7pm-ish) "sneak."

Sounds pretty sneaky. [eyes] Did everyone have the same showtimes? I know that people were not allowed to stay for Confessions afterwards. Odd for a true sneak.

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for this is that Confessions was not tracking very well. They did this simply to boost the gross on Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.

Cue Charles Everett ... rant about how unfair this is for Miramax to be artificially boosting Confession's gross.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one weirded me out. Very confusing to run a 'sneak' in town when the film is already playing at six other locations at a full schedule. I don't mind the extra boost of business though.....

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike S is correct: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind had its national break this week. Miramax did this not-so-sneak of Chicago to pump up the per-theater average on Dangerous Mind.

How stupid was this? I was in Bucks County PA yesterday. The Regal Warrington Crossing 22 has 2 prints of Chicago and sold out at least 3 matinees. Five miles north the Regal Barn Plaza 14 got the not-so-sneak of Chicago. Why sneak a movie if you can go to a theater already playing it?

Fox did much the same thing in June 2000 when it sneaked Me, Myself & Irene on opening weekend of Titan A.E. Irene at least broke even. Titan A.E. tanked bigtime; that promoted Fox to fire its chairman and shut down its animation unit.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sneak is tracked on a different number so nothing is turned in on Confessions. That movie will not see any of this money. Chicago is going wider next week. My thinking is that Miramax may be seeing if it is worth going wider in some markets. In our market there are three zones. The one zone is only regal and they are playing the film full scheduel. THe other two zones picked up the sneak. A decision may be made this week wether to keep them in the zones on a regular run or drop them out based on what the sneaks do. That is my theory.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's no different than adding a manual to the sneak section of this website. Sure the manual may already be available elsewhere in some other form, but it's new to this site, just like Chicago is new to the theaters sneaking it this weekend.

Film-Tech - The Miramax of websites! [Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-26-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago is slated to go wide relese in early feb.

It has been playing at other theatres in my area for awile, yet the sneak we showed last night (sat) nearly sold out a 450 seat auditorium!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad called:
Film-Tech - The Miramax of websites!

OK Brad, do you want to be Bob or Harvey?! [Big Grin]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wierd, my theatre sneaked Chicago in place of a 7:15 pm Catch Me If You Can on both Sat and Sunday. Which I thought was wierd. When I went downstairs and looked in the office I saw on the booking notice to sneak Chicago on "anything"...

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had that sneak as well, and yes, it was screwed up, IMO.
Why the print wasn't made available for teh week long playdate I have no clue. It's still made up on our platter, so why not allow us to run it for the many who WANT TO SEE IT NOW????

Also, Thomas, it WAS a double feature sneak. You may want to pass that along to your GM so that she can get further clarification. 9/10 we have sneaks, they are always double features. If your booker is like mine, youy GM should have rec'd a letter, oh, say FRIDAY, in regards to the aforementioned facts. Yeah, Friday. Four days AFTER bookings are confirmed and three days AfTER newspaper deadlines are met!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason -- We received an e-mail, which was posted in the box office and had a paragraph highlighted that explained, "Patrons who come for Chicago are NOT allowed to see Confessions of a Dangerous Mind for free afterwards." [Confused]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: