Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » small theaters

Author Topic: small theaters
Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once worked a small theater as the manager and at the time I hated it. I was used to the adrenaline rush of a six screen where I was floor manager and projectionist. I hated the big theater at the time, but if I could run the floor and upstairs eache rush flawlesly day after day, it got me and my ego pumped. At one time it got to much for me and I didn't need the money so I stepped down to a twin. It was boring as crap. They convinced me to come back, and I liked feeling at home again, but I missed our small, but loyal audience, and I loved the fact it coul be so laid back. Has anyone else had this same screwed up conflict?

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have Mark. By the way I used to go to school with a Mark Maxwell. Are you from Corpus Christi? Anyway. I worked for several large theatres as a projectionist where I was constantly moving and now at a 10 screeen that does mediorce business compared to what it did in it's heyday. I spend alot of time doing nothing and down on the floor visiting with employees and our regualr patrons.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes sort of.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-20-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the small theatres! I'll take a single or even a 5-plex or 6-plex over a 16-plex (the largest I've run) any day!

Sure, the gigaplexes are more "exciting" and pay better, but singles are more fun. As a bonus, they tend to show more interesting programming and tend to have a longer and more interesting history.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Scott. Even as recently as '98, I've occasionally picked up "hobby jobs" in singles (drive-ins, primarily, but the sentiment's the same). Carbon arc booths are even better, nothing beats 'em.

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tim, if you want to "play" in a real "reel to reel carbon arc single screen", stop down!! [Smile] But you better make it soon, our newer lamphouse and mutt will hopefully be in sometime this spring!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why MUT and not platter? Space limitations?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-20-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To expand on my previous post: I do film work as a hobby, so I can be somewhat picky about what types of theatres I work in. Essentially, I only want to work in theatres that have one or more of the following characteristics: interesting booth, interesting programming, really good management, great equipment, or (if a multiplex) at least one really good house with top-notch picture and sound quality. Art houses with older well-maintained equipment are my preferred venues, but I like some multiplexes, too (for different reasons). I've never run a drive-in booth, but would like to someday.

I just drove 100 miiles round-trip to run the afternoon shows in a carbon house today; I probably lost money on it due to the travel time, but it was fun.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-21-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
our newer lamphouse and mutt will hopefully be in sometime this spring
Glenda, thank you for the offer. It's too bad we're at opposite ends of the state, I would like to catch that before they're upgraded. But don't be surprised if I show up in the lobby one day.
[Wink]

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 06:19 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, we went with the mutt because of a very tiny booth, right now only one person can fit in there comfortably to run the changeovers, plus the problem of bringing a platter in the booth door, we would need to take out the entire wall to make it up the steps and inside! [Roll Eyes]
Tim, I keep forgetting how close to Allentown you are, with the way our weather has been lately I don't think it would be a fun trip, the turnpike can get downright ugly! But you are always welcome to stop by [Smile] Just be prepared to dodge the rolls of fabric, I have started recovering the seats. I hope I get the hang of this quick, 140 seats to cover, if I don't pick up some speed it will take me to mid summer to get them all finished [Frown]

Jeff Sirles
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Sirles   Email Jeff Sirles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion the biggest difference between the two cinema types (for managers) is that in smaller houses a manager can afford to be more involved in the tasks. On my average day I do a little of each, from running projection, to selling tickets, etc. etc. Where as in a larger theater you cannot afford to "dabble" around all day. As a manager of a large theater your main focus all day is to supervise and handle problems. Smaller theaters however give more flexibility to "mix it up" and work side by side with your help (also supervising and handling problems). I find this more fun than guiding the help in a larger theater.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: