Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Syrup Lines - Overhead or under the slab (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Syrup Lines - Overhead or under the slab
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bag-in-the-box pumps and stuff are in the back store room and I'm contemplating a way to get them to the fountainhead which sits on the front counter of the the concessions line.

If I go over-head, I can go through a 6" PVC pipe above the ceiling tiles to the front line, and then down the inside of a furred-out column to the back of the front counter and into the machine.

If I go under the slab, I can run the same 6" PVC pipe and just rise up inside the base of the front counter cabinet space. The only draw-back to this is the possibilities of under-slab moisture seeping into the pipe, or worse yet,critters getting down in there and messing with the lines.

Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen an overhead installation. Just under the floor. I would think that you would want under the floor. What if you have a syrup leak? Do you want the syrup leaking above you?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-12-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At every opportunity, whether for electrical, telephone, or plumbing... embedded in the floor.

You should see a booth I designed in Lexington, KY... EVERYTHING, including the DD video cable, is in embedded conduit. When you walk into the booth, all you see is a projector sitting there in the middle of the floor, with NOTHING visible connnected to it. That's the only way to fly! [thumbsup]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-12-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going through the ceiling might lead to problems with airlocks, which could then lead to really foamy soda. [Frown]

If you're worried about little animals getting down in the pipe you could seal it off at both ends with a cut out endcap and some tape/cocking.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, ditto, ditto and me, too.
In the floor's the way to go.

You can bring your pipes right up through the bottom of your counter. All of the servicepeople we've worked with seem to expect it.

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underfloor definitely.
Lowers the chance for airlocks as already stated.
Depending on your situation, look at running rectangle section PVC electric conduit - the stuff wiyh the snap fit cover - at skirting board level.
The advantages are 1. there is end caps available to prevent pest intrusion.
2. Cover can be removed to add extra lines, services etc.

6" pipe nder the floor is good but access is restricted and you have to have a up pipe at each end to prevent watter being spilt/flooding the tube.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-12-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Running the lines in a PVC pipe underground will also help keep the syrup cooler than above an insulated drop ceiling. Every underground install I've ever seen has had the pipe ends foamed in to prevent varmints.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-12-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be different and say NO to underground lines. I was a manager for UA in the mid 90's when the theater was down to just myself and another manager running the place. The other manager already had vacation time and a plane booked to go on a specific week, so I ended up agreeing to working 7 doubles in a row. On the 7th night I ended up going to the hospital emergency room and it was because of those damned underground lines.

Turns out there was a crack in the sewage line coming from the Men's restroom and it was leaking under the slab and managed to get into the PVC pipe carrying the syrup lines. That delightful mix of urine and feces ate away at the lines until it got in. Yes indeedy, the manager Friday morning got to find out that the reason the Sprite suddenly started coming out a dark brown thick liquid was because there was SHIT in the lines!

Some of the other staff that was working Thursday also got to go to the hospital too.

Underground lines? Hell no! [thumbsdown] [Mad] [bs] [puke] [fu] [fu] [fu]

BTW, McDonald's uses overhead lines, and they have the best Cokes anywhere.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank god I read Brads post today & not yesterday. We changed a Sprite post mix that was labeled incorrectly. (Diet Coke I think)

Do you know how many drinks we had to pour to get the muddy colour out?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, we had one do that in one of our theatres some time ago. The soft drinks tasted like shit! Now, I am not saying that I know what shit tastes like, but you get the point. [Big Grin]

Luck had it in our favor....the PVC pipe in the concrete was large enough to allow total removal and replacement of the lines from the back room to the fountain heads. Most of the contamination came from crud and corruption along with coagulated syrup getting into the PVC pipe, and somehow leached through the lines. I didn't think that was possible, but I heard that's what the cause was in our case.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 03:20 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New builds and renovated McDonald's in Canada use underground lines.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New builds and renovated McDonald's in Canada use underground lines.
It's still too bad that their Coke tastes like shit. [Smile]

Jason

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 03:47 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but Coke in Canada has always tasted like [bs]
That's the main reason I used to eat at Burger King... so I didn't have to drink the super watered down Coke.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 03:51 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you just have to take a crack at Canadians with that comment. [Wink]

For the record, I only drink the bottled or canned coke up here. And it tastes just fine. Most if not all dispensed coke tastes watered down, even moreso at theaters.

What's even more odd is one or two theaters here also sell bottled Coke or pepsi (for something like $3.50!)...seems to sell rather well since they've been doing it for about two years.

Jason

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, you mean 'over here'! [Smile] If you're talking about (one of) the theatres I think you are, I work for that company. They sell bottled water for about that price too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: