Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ice Machine - Pounds Per Day Requirements? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ice Machine - Pounds Per Day Requirements?
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we begin to look for the remaining items to finish out the concessions area of our theatre, we're totally lost when it comes to deciding how big of an ice machine to purchase.

All of the machines we've looked at are rated with a "pounds per day capacity". How much ice are some of you going through in a night, and how big of a machine do you have?

We've seen names like, Scotsman, Manitowoc, etc... is one brand any beter than the another... if so why?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Hoshizaki is the best ice machine out from what I've heard. If you'd like, I can get you in touch with a local dealer here in Myrtle Beach that sells Hoshi's acorss the country. From what I gather he has prices better than some of the reps can quote, due, in part, to volume sales.

Let me know.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-09-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours is a Manitowoc. We got the version where the condenser unit is separate and mounted on the roof. That reduces the heat load in the building and seems to make the ice machine more efficient (read "fast"). I'll check, but it seems ours has something like a 600 lb bin. The machine fills it from empty within about 20 hours. Other versions are available that have dual stackable units, if you really need the extra horsepower.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manitowoc is to ice machines as Christie is to platters. Good stuff.

That said, we have had a Scotsman for approx. 8 years and have had no problems except having to replace the pump motor last year, about a $120 bill.

Now here might be an interesting debate....do you go with "cube" ice or "shaved" ice? The Pepsi guys told me that cubed ice makes for better tasting soda, because it doesn't melt as fast. On the other hand, kids tend to throw the cubes at each other...and on yet another hand, shaved ice shoots great through straws. So after thinking it over, I decided to go with "better quality soda" and we got a cuber. They are also less breakdown-prone, I'm told...no moving parts in ours, except the afore-mentioned pump.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-09-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a problem with a Manitowoc. Just make sure you have, like with any ice machine, a water filter installed on the water line feeding the machine.

Most dealers should be able to tell you the size of machine you need based on the number of drinks per hour you plan to sell.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-10-2003 04:19 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you could go wrong with either one Manitowoc or Scotsman machines.

As far as capacity is concerned, that can be a tough call. A 600-pound head might be OK for a 5 or 6 plex (as it was for us) but in some areas, it may not be. Follow Daryl's advice, add some more poundage to it for a safety cushion, and you should be OK.

Whatever you do, make absolutely certain you use water filters on them. Without filters, the evaporator plates won't last more that 5 to 10 years before they are ruined.

Air-cooled machines are becoming quite popular, as long as they are not placed in the candy storage room. Seems like water-cooled machines are not as popular as they used to be - because water rates are going higher and higher.

[ 01-10-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Air-cooled machines are becoming quite popular, as long as they are not placed in the candy storage room. Seems like water-cooled machines are not as popular as they used to be...
No kidding! Some brain trust decided to install our original Frigidaire sheet-cuber in our candy room. Before we installed A/C in the place, it got up to 80 degrees before noon. By evening, the heat from the sun was just coming through the other side of the concrete blocks. Add to that the heat load provided by all the other refrigeration equipment in there & we had three major problems on our hands... One was that all our chocolate had to be put in the cooler at night... two was that our ice machine only managed a couple of inches new ice for a whole day's work... and three was the cranky people in our building... staff and customers!

Putting in the new Manitowoc flat ended our ice problems (yes, we did install it OUTSIDE the candy room!). We have hit bottom only once, and I could have prevented that by icing up the fountain heads earlier. Otherwise, this thing is an ice making monster... and it puts no heat in the building... something our new a/c system really likes! [thumbsup]

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the economics of commercially-sold bagged ice versus the investment and wear and tear of an ice machine? Does an ice machine make sense for every drive-in theatre? [Roll Eyes]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-10-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a word, yes!

In more words... buying an appropriately sized machine makes economical sense. Add up all the time spent going somewhere to buy ice everyday, plus the cost of the ice itself. Then the cost of running out of ice -- some people won't buy fountain pop without ice in it.

Some drive-ins may do fine with a countertop ice dispenser, others will need a much larger machine if they are busy throughout the week.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tip o' the day: be careful where you install the ice machine. A flooded manager's office is not a pretty sight. (Yes, I've seen it happen. The machine was old and had not been well maintained.)

Note, also, that some types of soda machines have built-in ice dispensers and that these usually require that they have ice in them at all times to keep the syrup cold, so you will need extra ice in addition to whatever you will be using for drinks at the concession stand.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am not sure of pounds per day my scotsman puts out I have learned it is better to have one that is too big. We have a large undercounter ice bin we keep filled in addition the the pop machine that needs ice to keep the pop cold. Then there is the large bin under the ice machine approx waist high. I have never run out of ice even when the 20 year old scotsman quits working for what ever reason and it take me a few day to get to the theatre and another few to get parts. The one i have has water cooled compresser (well water not city) The discharged water goes out the backdoor and keep our frog/salamander population happy

Tim
Starlite Drive-In

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been through the "ice machine shopping" process.

Jason mentioned the Hoshizaki. They are good machines, but there are no replacement parts or experienced service people for that brand in my area. Consider that same factor even in making the decision between Manitowoc or Scotsman. Your local dealer may or may not stock parts for both.

The comments about cubes vs. flakes are very true. Flakers will need more service over time than the cubers.

I replaced a 15-year old Scotsman flaker with a new 750 lb. water-cooled Scotsman cuber for our 5-plex. We've got ice to spare.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-10-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any water-cooled head is fine, but they can be very expensive to operate because of the cooling water used. It just simply goes down the drain.

However, if you don't have a suitable place to install an air-cooled machine, then the water-cooled machine is the way to go. The air-cooled machines need lots of air to breath, and if they are left to operate in a small room with no adequate air exchange, they could go into high pressure overload and shut themselves down. Or, they can simply become very inefficient.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were limited to a very confined space, and needed the water cooling.

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Get A Manitowoc It is the best out now,An get A new one,Air cooled will work good just make sure you don't put it to close to A wall,Barry give me A call an I will give you some info on the one that I have,You will only need A 600lb.bin with A 600lb.turn over in about 20 to 24hrs.also make sure you put in A dran were you want the mch. to set.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: