Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » EDI, meet Rentrak (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: EDI, meet Rentrak
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our US Film-Techers may have to start reporting box office to two companies instead of one.

Fox, Disney, Focus, Lions Gate and IDP are switching from EDI to Rentrak for their box office data. Rentrak provides a similar service for homevideo.

According to Variety, cost and ease of database use are among the reasons for the switch. Fox Searchlight titles will use Rentrak exclusively; Disney apparently will use EDI and Rentrak for the time being.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-07-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rentrack uses automated reporting for the video rental market. They are good for writing custom modules to interface with existing rental systems.

I'd imagine, for theatres, they are going to use the same automated method that they already use. Perhaps in the future YOU won't have to report to anyone. [Smile]

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 08:24 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently developing an interface that will automatically send numbers to Rentrak upon close out, I would imagine other POS companies are doing the same, no more phone calls!

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We already send grosses to Rentrek directly from corporate after each theater closes and we have their file.

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We already report nightly to Rentrak and EDI. I must admit its a bit annoying to have to have two companies call you nightly while you are closing out. They ALWAYS call at least once,before you have the #'s for the night. Telling them to call later is hopeless. Anyone else have to report to both.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When EDI started calling me at way too early, I simply stopped reporting to them. They would call around 7-9:00, and want numbers, I told them for 2 weeks that we always called them, had for years and not to call. They wouldn't so, I just call Rentrak. That is one nice thing about being independent. [Big Grin]

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I report to both each night. I have to FAX to Rentrack.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We report to both also, have been for about two months now.

The only real difference I notice is that Rentrack has the annoying habbit of calling after every show on Friday afternoon to get updated grosses on the new releases. Because of out computer system the only way to do it is to add up the number of tickets and multiply by the bargain price. Extremely annoying when you are trying to get weekly paperwork done.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-11-2003 05:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who said you have to report to Rentrak? Is it in your rental agreement that you must report to whomever comes a callin'?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were told by our home office to comply with EDI and Rentracks requests. I assume they have it all worked out. I never give out grosses to anyone else.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Rentrak here ... just EDI. I assume Rentrak gets their numbers directly from the corporate computer system because they've NEVER called.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 10:33 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just started last night faxing to rentrack and also calling the figures into EDI..

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No info given out to either services. If they want the numbers contact our booker.

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a fee to use rentrak/EDI? We use RTS now, How can we switch from making the phone calls every night?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-03-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RTS will report your numbers to Rentrak automatically when you "close" your tickets. You just have to set it up to do so. I'm not at the theatre now so can't tell you how, but it's in there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: