Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Owning and operating a theater

Author Topic: Owning and operating a theater
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love every aspect of working in a theater, and someday (in the far far future) I wouldn't mind owning my own. Here's a question out of curiousity: is it possible to own an theater AND be the GM AND work in the booth? I love it all, but I just don't know if it's possible to do it all. I know there are some theater owners on this forum, and any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-03-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,the answer is YES .

I have many friends in the industry that work as bookers, Regional Managers, Film Technicians, Sound Technicians, Distribution, Circuit Excutives that also operate their own cinemas. It is not uncommon here is the east.

Good Luck, hang on to your dream.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it would have a lot to do with the size of the theatre complex. As a theatre owner myself, I am the manager and projectionist most of the time. I have an assistant for my day off or when I think I need extra help. However, my theatre is a single screen and it's easy. I would think that running up to 5 screens would still be fairly easy to do most of the work, but if you are thinking about a large multi or mega-plex if would be much more difficult.

If you are the owner you can do whatever you want to do. If the complex is large to the extent that your services are needed on the floor or in the office most of the time, there is no reason why you couldn't still put some time in the booth during slow periods just to keep your fingers in it, or just for fun. You might want to stay late Thursday nights to help tear down and build up shows.

You will need to decide where your talents are most needed. You hire people to do what you either can't do, don't want to do, or don't have time to do. As the owner you can be the janitor and hire someone to be the manager if you want to. It wouldn't make much sense to do that, but it would be your prerogative.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a theater AND am the GM AND I work in the booth.

Ky owns a theatre, works the floor, works the booth, pays the bills, books the films, cooks the books, does all the marketing and picks up trash with the best of them. The only thing he doesn't do is make lemonade.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-03-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know why Ky never answered me when I told him he was full of "Lemonade!" [Wink]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ken:

Check out this website for people who own and operate thier own theatres:

http://www.bigscreenbiz.com

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, get in early, clean, stock up, sell tickets, thread/start the movies. Long hard days, wouldn't have it any other way.
If you have your hobby as your job, you will never work a day in your life.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO do any and everthing you want...except cleaning the theatre. In 1991 my partner and I opened out first tri-plex in Marietta Ga. We did have a booker and a cleaning person but we did EVERYTHING else. By he time you go pick up film, put up concession, pick up bag in the boxes, build the prints, go to lunch etc, etc, open, close (midnight) GO HOME....Don't take your sleeping time to clean the floors!!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own this theatre and also do all the film work and office work, and some maintenance. I also wrote the ticket selling program we use. I create all the advertising, change the marquee, and just about everything else. The only thing I don't do is the janitorial work, which I contract out, and the concession work (because I'm too busy selling tickets). I have John Eickhof come in 2x per year to check-over the booth equipment, but I do most of the maintenance work myself. I have a day job, so I don't have much time to tear apart equipment to install upgrades, etc.

Owning a theatre is awesome, BUT you have to really have your heart in it with regard to weekends, holidays, and late nights. If you don't love the biz, you could be destined for a rough ride. I wouldn't have it any other way! [Big Grin]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a one screen, 4 people. Me, my parents, and our business partner and no employees. Everything is done by us from mowing the lawn to fixing plumbing problems. The only things we dont do is plow the parking lot and projection repairs and upgrades. We have fun every night 2 shows a night, 7 nights a week in the summer and 1 show/6 nights in the winter. The work involves many long hours and virtually never having a night off in the summer. (Last summer I took 1 night off over the three months, AND I WENT TO THE MOVIES [Smile] .)
But as I think about it I wouldn't want any other job.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2003 02:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Marr said " have many friends in the industry that work as bookers, Regional Managers, Film Technicians, Sound Technicians, Distribution, Circuit Excutives that also operate their own cinemas."

I think Bob left out stand up comedians and joke writers off his theatre owner list.......

Personally, I want a theatre like Adam's. I'd feel like I was headed to the weekend cabin every night! That place is way too cool!
Mark

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck Ken.
I bought a small-town 2 screen theatre 12 years ago, and now have theatres in 4 small-towns. With 11 screens I have a booker, who books for alot of other theatres too, and 40 part-time enployees. This leaves me to do everything else from bookwork & ordering to re-seating an autotorium and installing sound systems.
You don't need to have a large staff to operate, many people run theatres by themselves, with a few family members, or part-time employees.
You don't need to have a 20-plex. Save some money for a down payment, and watch for somebody who wants to retire.
Even though the buisness has changed in the last 12 years, I still have times like last summer when a young boy comes out to the concession stand with his Grandmother during Scooby-Doo and said. " Grandma, can you get this and that?" "I've got to get back in the movie." "I don't want to miss anything!"
So, there are rewards that don't have dollar signs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: