Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What is your theatre's policy regarding handicap seating?

Author Topic: What is your theatre's policy regarding handicap seating?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do when a theatre is about 85% sold out and a handicap person arrives about 25 minutes after the show had started and all of the seats for disabled patrons are occupied by non handycap people? The only available seats are about two rows from the screen or way off to the sides and not very comfortable. Do you evict the person who was on time and enjoying the show or do you refuse to seat the disabled person because he or she was late and attempting to seat them in the dark would pose some risk? This has happned to a non handicapped friend not too long ago and all the theatre offered was a refund when he did not want to be re seated in a uncomfortable part of the auditorium. Personally, I see there would have been no problem if the handicappped person had arrived on time when there were many good seats available that my friend would have happily moved to but to give up a seat to a late comer and be forced to leave with only a refund did not please my friend at all.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to start by saying that this in not a company policy rather, it is my own interpretation of what I* feel is right given the aforementioned situation....

That said - The handicap patron would need to either take whatever seating was available or wait for another show. I do not think you should *reward* someone, handicap or not, for being late for a show. You should also not penalize someone who was courteuos enough to be ON TIME by asking them to move, ESPECIALLY if the feature has begun. If you are still in previews, I think it is permissible to inquire if the non handicap customer would mind moving to allow for the handicap person to have the *reserved* seat.

If it is in the feature, I'd not even think of disturbing a paying custmoer by asking them to move due to someone else's inabaility to arrive on time.

Anyone else?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-02-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the circumstances. Most (if not all) of our handicapped people arrive in wheelchairs, and there are usually areas for them. I have not heard of any instances where it caused a problem.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they arrived late, (especially 25 minutes late) they would have to take whatever seating was available, or wait for the next show if it were up to me.

If they complain that because they are handicapped, it takes them longer to arrive, yadda yadda... I would inform them that the showtimes are not exactly a "trade secret" and can be found, and planned for, any time of the day.

I would never ask a paying customer to move, especially after the movie has started, "reserved" seating or not. All seats should be reserved for those who arrive on time first and foremost! [Smile]

These of course, are my own personal opinions and not the chain I work for's policy.

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All seating is "first come, first serve" That being said, if you are in a wheelchair, there is almost always a designated wheelchair space open. I've never sold all 4 during a show. However, often times the "accompanying" seats are taken. In that case, it's just like anyone else, your desired seating is not together, so split up or don't watch the show. That being said, if the show has not yet begun, I will ask the person in the accompanying seat if they would mind moving, but would never force them to do so. If they do move, I will usually reward them with a raincheck for their cooperation

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im assuming that the person in the "disabled" section is also disabled. In that case i believe the proper thing to do would be apologize to the late-comer, but inform them that disabled section is full . I would also probably offer them passes to a later show(if applicable). If the person in the handicapped area was not disabled, I believe the law states that they must vacate for the disabled party. Courtesy or not you could open yourself up to a lawsuit. I would give the people ousted from their seats passes to another show.
Simply out of courtesy. Its a tricky situation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: