Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Greek wedding question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Greek wedding question
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are finally playing My Big Fat Greek Wedding starting Friday. My question is did the movie do any business with a later show on friday and saturday. For us a late show would be a 9:45 show. We being a cinema grill always show our movies in the 5:30 to 8:45 time frame. I am thinking that this might be a exception and do alright with a 9:45 show. Any opinions

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-01-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what kind of business you do but we've had Greek Wedding pretty much since it first opened. On Friday our 9:10 show did 72 people and our 7:10 did 121, Saturday the 9:10 did 82 people and the 7:10 did 162. Take in mind that it is a holiday weekend. It was our #1 9:00 round film both days. I would say your decision bases on your customers...have you been getting a lot of requests? Is your area highly Greek (that helps us!)? Do other theaters in the area show MBFGW or have they already? Also, I don't know what kind of business a cinema grill needs to do to be profitable.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past 1 1/2 years they have been open they pretty much have stayed with the earlier shows. I am trying to expand the business for them. My thoughts have been to show a later show on friday and saturday but go with a easier menu a modifed late night menu since most people have had dinner by then. I am also looking to do a 10 week series of midnight shows also with a lite menu. Movies such as everything from Rocky Horror to the Last Waltz to Blazing Saddles. So any thoughts on choices for that would also be great. I am also thinking we should expand on the arts type movies using Greek Wedding as a springboard so to speak

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Wait and see if there is a demand for extra shows. Many theatres added extras after a week or two into their run. This film seem like its going to play for ever! Kewel!
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-01-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That movie refuses to die. We need more like that one. It pays the bills.. [Wink]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep getting it and losing it and getting it and losing it.... We started with a virgin print. If the first one was a virgin, the current one is a whore! Nice to know we're doing the industry a service by cleaning up all the Greek Wedding prints one at a time. [Razz]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see by our preview string that we might be picking that up soon. I hope we get a good print.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Box Office Mojo MBFGW has reached $230M and is still doing around $2M a week.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty soon, we'll be able to just show the DVD.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD will be better than the film because the DVD is digital. Digital always beats film, no matter what.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I see by our preview string that we might be picking that up soon. I hope we get a good print.
I wouldn't count on it Paul. The print we had was so bad, the picture had a lot of vertical movement on the screen (worn sprocket holes?) and was pretty well faded. The soundtrack had quite a bit of background noise also.

Overall we had good crowds and everybody enjoyed it.

Everything we have played since has been nice and steady and sounds great.

The DVD is scheduled for release February 11.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooooOOOOoooo...Feb 11th...that's my birthday. I think I will buy a copy and loan it to someone who hates that movie. [Big Grin]

Edit:

Joe said:
quote:
The DVD will be better than the film because the DVD is digital. Digital always beats film, no matter what.
Ummmm....Joe.....There is no Graemlins listed that will project my true feelings to Damned Lame Projection.. and that holds true for DVD. [Big Grin]

[ 01-13-2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -- Feb. 11? Cool! My birthday is the 5th and my brother's is the 10th. YAY AQUARIUSES! [Big Grin] (Aquariusi?)

We should all get each other Greek Wedding for our birthdays.

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2003 02:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the Geek Wedding prints I've seen suffer from the Deluxe shake-o-matic syndrome. You're not going to find one with a steady image.

Angelika Dallas is just coming off an 8 month run of this film this Thursday. That's a pretty damn long run. Rumor has it that this theater did more $$$ on this movie than any other theater did. I'm surprised they aren't keeping it longer.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: The Village East in lower Manhattan still has Greek Wedding -- now in its 9th month there. Greek Wedding actually opened at the NYC Angelika and played there 2 or 3 weeks before moving over to the Village East.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: