Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Your theater's biggest-ever B.O. flop? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Your theater's biggest-ever B.O. flop?
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 06:58 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pinocchio is D.O.A. Its first day was worse than Pluto Nash per the estimate posted on Mojo.

What picture had the worst-grossing week ever for your theater?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly enough, Pinnochio is about the worst I've seen. Left Behind (The Second one) didn't fare well at my place either. Pluto Nash was right up there as well...

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 09:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Line Cinema's "Dog Park" (1998)

They sent us frisbees and shirts and wanted us to do a big promo with it and everything. FOUR people showed up during its entire run at our theater. (one week)

=TMP=

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I did less than $100 gross for the whole week of "Country Bears".

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tequila Body Shots.

Attendance: 56 people total ... ALL WEEK. [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to go with Pinocchio. My manager was pretty excited about this one. He made us put trailers for it on EVERYTHING. That's probably why it's empty. If you see the trailer you automaticaly do not want to see the movie.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pinocchio has actually done 236 people over two days. That's a $1,500 gross. That is in no way the worst performing film we have ever had. Heck, it's not the worst performing film this week. This doesn't mean that we don't hate it and will do everything in our power to see it go away next week. [evil]

Our worst performing film this month was Just A Kiss which did 10 admissions for a $55 gross for a week. [Eek!] Thank God it was on shows and well buried in the schedule.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst I have personally seen was Dog Park, but I heard that It's Pat did really bad as well.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Perez Family" was the only time I remember having zero people show up for a Saturday matinee (afternoon, not 11 AM)
"Flipper" did very poorly where I worked too, even though it apparently was the top-grossing film nationally the week it opened. There were at least 2 days when not a single ticket was sold.
When I worked at a 16-screen, "Pootie Tang" in its 2nd week was the only time I ever saw zero people show up for a Saturday evening show. On Saturday evenings even the worst stuff usually had a few people show up.
We had the trailers for "It's Pat" but I heard the movie only actually got released in 2 theatres (1 in NY, one in LA)- I bought the laserdisc on clearance and thought it was OK though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Another You" with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. Did 3 people the entire week. 2 of them walked out with a refund, the third was supposedly "not there" when the lights came up and the ushers went to clean.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-27-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen many movies flop, but somehow "Godzilla" seems to be the one I would spontaneously associate with the word. Probably because of the enormous hype, but it also did really badly at the theater I worked then. I remember sitting in the auditorium (992 seats) with 4 or 5 people on the third day and falling asleep even though it was so loud. I think I only fell asleep during a movie twice in my life. The other one was a Woody Allen movie, one of the Bergmann-likes he did for a while.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-27-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ...

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Judge Dredd
The Great White Hype
Toys

oh, yeah ... Traces of Red was pulled in less than a week.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 03:26 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Congo" flopped more than Godzilla.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Shot At Glory - 7 days - $116.50 (127 admissions)

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful (2000) is the only movie I can think of that has never made it to the second week in our 18 screen, and if I remember, one of the Saturday night shows was a no-sell. Even the worst movies I can think of lasted at least 2 weeks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: