Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Delivery charges for classic films

Author Topic: Delivery charges for classic films
Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a bill from Reel Easy for delivering a print of "It's A Wonderful Life" to me from a theatre in Cleveland.
The bill is $225, one way !!!!!!
For that price it should have come via armored car, not the back of someone's personal vehicle!

Normally Reel Easy is outrageous. But "normal" is $100-120.

We tried talking with Warner Brothers before about Reel Easy. For about a year they used another courier, but now we are back to Reel Easy. And ouch!!

Any of you had similar experiences?

Tony

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 02:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. We had a print of "The Sound of Music" in 1990, and not only did it cost over $200 to ship in, the print was faded to pink and scratched to beat the band. There were no other prints available, so we had to run it, and apologized to every patron both coming in and going out.

To add insult to injury, it only cost something like $30 to ship it back (I put the cans into a large box and UPS'd it.)

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought the $30 a can Twin City News charges us to ship ETS prints from the Depot in Minneapolis to here in Eau Claire (about 100 miles) was ridiculous.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to get all our ETS (formerly NFS) prints from Butte, Montana which is 400 miles from here...when I got in the biz it was $18, now it's over $80 each way. So we've gone to UPS or the postal service except in dire emergencies.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 11:30 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always found Reel Easy's prices hard to figure. What I dislike the most about them was they would bill me if the studio didn't pay them. About the time I'm telling them I didn't agree to pay shipping and would not have used them if I did, it's made clear to me that my "other" prints (Pronounced, Sony Pictures Classics)will not be delivered until I pay the bill. As an art house, Sony Pics Classics is huge for me. I was very glad when SPC went to ETS. Reel Easy will send pick up couriers with no notice. Once they cornered my partner for a print. My partner isn't a projectionist so she gave them empty cans (the print was still on the platter. I wasn't to come off of it for another week) which felt heavy to her and , evidently, the courier. This story gets really involved, so I'll stop here. For the actual delivery I don't have a problem with them. They tend to use local couriers so i have to to deal with them -- yet another group that has no idea how a theatre is run -- but, Reel Easy seems to do their part of getting the film to the local couriers. But, unless I know what it'll cost to ship a print, I dread getting the bill from them.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, where do you guys get the good deals on shipping?

At the Temple in Saginaw, MI, we were the first public showing of the new 70mm print of "The Ten Commandments". The print came from the video dubbing house in Utah. We had to pay $500.00 to get it and another $500.00 to ship it back to CA. The requiremnents were, portal to portal air insured.

That on top of the guarantee and percentage made this a very expensive week end. Oh, by the way, reel 7 had the sprocket holes torn out on one side for over half of the reel and we had to get a replacement reel from CA.

KEN

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 06:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, although I have gotten "sticker shock" from a number of Reel Easy, I've never gotten that kind of unbelievable shipping bill.

What I did find out was that, what will drive the shipping price up is that the print may be playing at another theatre up until a day or two before your engagement and the distrib will not tell you that. They just arrange to ship it to you using next day air or even next morning air which is many times the normal ground rates, and they do this without you knowing anything about it.

What I have now taken to doing because of this, is to ask the booker exactly how the print is being shipped and the approximate cost. Believe me, if I was told that, for whatever reason, a print would cost me $225 for one-way shipping, I would tell them to shove it. What was that, almost half the guarantee? You could have driven to Cleveland and picked it up yourself for a lot less than that. There had to be some special handling that was involved with that shipment to jack the price up that much. Thing is, that information should be part of the booking deal and you should be made aware of it up front. Demand hard numbers on the shipping costs with every booking.

Frank

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren was recently telling me that film transport costs are a major issue in planning his 70mm shows at York. Apparently Securicor charge £30 (around $50) per reel for transporting 70mm, which can easily mean £300 for a full feature. For that reason, he's been collecting films himself and holding them until required by another venue, when they're picked up at the receiving cinema's expense. In a country as small as the UK I guess it's feasible to do this. But thinking about it, transport costs must be a serious problem for arthouse and rep theatres in countries covering a large geographical area such as the US, Canada and Australia.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-26-2002 11:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could have driven to Cleveland and picked it up yourself for a lot less than that.
I knew a guy in Boston that routinely drove to NYC to pick up prints. If you have the time, it's not a bad alternative. Maybe $40 in gas.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 11:03 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other classic we showed this year, "Miracle On 34th Street", was from Criterion. They charged me $50 shipping, due up front with the guarentee. And that is for ETS to drop it off AND pick it up!!

It also came from another theatre. So if Reel Easy is thinking of that as an excuse, it doesn't fly with me.

I've also dealt with Sony on classics. I think they used ETS this last time. Before I think they had used UPS or Airborne.

I don't understand why Warner Brothers doesn't use UPS or Airborne.
I think Airborne has this print handling thing down by now. [Confused]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 11:33 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criterion (non-theatrical 35mm distributors for Fox & New Line and a few others) has started charging an extra $50 on ETS prints (on top of local delivery charges). It's completely unclear to us what this charge is supposed to represent, and whether it actually has anything to do with ETS at all. We certainly don't see this $50 charge from non-Criterion ETS prints. It's not clear to me if that means Criterion is making it up from whole cloth, or if other people are eating this charge, or if it's somehow Criterion-specific.

Unfortunately we failed to really get a good explanation when this started happening, and I think we're stuck with it. It's a relatively recent "innovation"; perhaps 16 months old?

By the way, ETS will happily fedex prints to you if you give them a fedex account number. I imagine they'll do other friendly things too.
Tony, you should clarify though: ETS does not drop off or pick up prints. They subcontract that out to various local delivery companies who charge different prices to different people, sometimes they charge per-film, sometimes they charge per-month. It varies a lot from locality to locality. Generally those local delivery companies bill the theatres directly.

--jhawk

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
You are correct, the $50 paid to Criterion for "shipping" is in addition to the charge from the ETS subcontractor that actually delivered the print. I was mistaken on that in my last post. Exhibitor Film Service out of Indianapolis is who services my area for ETS.

Tony

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Torn out sprocket holes on one side on a new 70mm print Hmm that took some doing since if it is new it would have been on estar stock and torn perfs are a bit difficult to do. STretched or mangled yes torn took some doing

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: