Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Lackluster weekend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lackluster weekend
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with 3 prints of LOTR II this has been a V-E-R-Y slow weekend. I really don't see the next week being that much better. Gangs doesn't look to fare well but hopefully, Catch MIYC will pull in some butts....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee...I walked into the theatre on Saturday will the signs posted "All shows Sold Out" today. All but the last show of LOTR was sold out for Sunday by the time I left!

Steve

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the mall today to finish xmas shopping, around 11:30AM. The 17-plex had sold out all shows of Two Towers for the day except the 10PM round. Gangs of New York had 1 evening show already sold out. The rest may not be doing much though -- the place seemed eerily deserted (the next round for LOTR and GONY was a couple hours later). Star Trek Nemesis is down, what, 70% this weekend? It'll be lucky to hit $50M.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 06:45 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC Hamilton 24 looked deserted today. Nothing was sold out, not even Gangs of New York [Big Grin] or The Two Towers. It doesn't help that there are some big NFL games on TV today.

David: Star Trek Nemesis was down 76 percent [Eek!] per the early estimate posted on Box Office Mojo.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 07:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney and Paramount probably screwed the pooch by releasing Treasure Planet and Star Trek in this crowded field of blockbusters. TP & ST:N are decent films that could have done better, but they got buried. They should have held off their release until early 2003 when things are less competitive.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been slow this week. [sleep] It's a combination of old product and the Christmas shopping season. I went to a theatre that had Lord Of The Rings and except for that, they were dead too.

We'll see what the 26th brings. [eyes]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-22-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were very slow also with the Art Films, MBFGW is just starting to slow down (1 of only 2 local theatres still running it). Far from Heaven is doing well but everything else just died this weekend. Hopefully it will pick up with Pinocchio and Evelyn on Christmas Day.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bowling for Columbine opened here Friday, at the independent Bijou Art Cinemas. Maybe everyone not interested in LOTR was over there. [Big Grin]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Charleston IMAX we just sold out our 7:30 show of Santa vs Snowman 3D. I had to hold the movie for 10 minutes [Smile] We have been doing good business considering we have to compete with new movies.

Star Wars Ep II is doing pretty well also about 60 people show up for the 8:30 tonight. I think we average about 50 people a show on the weekend. We run 3 times on the weekend.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR is doing very well for me, but Thornberrys is a big dissapointment. I expected there to be a much better turn out than we had. Anyone else having a bad Thorn. turnout?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kara,
Horrible, plain horrible. One of my two prints, yes two opened as a double up on the break! That was forewarning enough to me.... Well, that and it's a Nick film....

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had one of our more busy weekends in the past 2 months. With 2 prints of Gangs, 1 of Evelyn, MBFGK, Frida, Far From Heaven. This next weekend we open with Pinochio also.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-22-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Santa v. the Snowman sold out a show?! Holy cow. This film has been doing especially poor business everywhere.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 09:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a single screen playing LOTR. It is great tonight, but nights up to now have been quieter than expected. I attribute it to Christmas shopping, high-school sports, and "just plain busy." I look for it to heat up starting Christmas day and the weekend after. (At least I HOPE that's what happens!)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... from Adam:
Santa v. the Snowman sold out a show?! Holy cow. This film has been doing especially poor business everywhere.

Makes me wonder how large some of these auditoriums actually are...

In our area, we have a theatre that has 2 72-seaters, a couple of 118's & some that are slightly larger. At that level, we'd be bragging about sold out houses all the time, and I can't imagine people would be too happy about their choice of seating if they COULD get in. A 500 seat auditorium is slightly more of a challenge to stuff... but by comparison, it sure is a nice looking screen when you're running all that great LOTR scenery! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: