Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Gangs Of NY (booking question) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Gangs Of NY (booking question)
John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 06:58 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was setting up our schedule for this next weekend today and found out that we are now not going to open "Gangs of NY" until the 25th. This was a change per Miramix. The commercials on TV in our area all say "starts Friday." Was wondering when most people out there are opening the film? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-16-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gangs opens on 2500 screens on 12/20, per filmreleases.com 2002 Listing

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-16-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am opening two prints on the 20th.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-16-2002 08:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the post-production office, it's the 20th. I finished
my last press/media screening today. (21 times [thumbsup] )

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also opening "Gangs" on 12/25. My booker thinks that maybe they are having problems with prints. He said they told him they were going to open something like 1300+ on 12/20 then 800+ on 12/25. I am a small town, so one reason I am waiting. But it really works out better for me, I only have 3 screens, so makes my life easier to be on 12/25.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 09:48 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were to open it this friday. But, I was told today that it will now open on the 25th. By the way, I can count the ads of tv on one hand in the Milwaukee area. Tons of Lord of the Ring ads, hardly any GONY.

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater is opening Gangs of New York on the 25th. Its interesting though, because several theaters that are about 20 minutes away are opening it on the 20th.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 12:35 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is a bit of a relief that I am not the only one that is out there with this situation. The worst part about it is that our TV stations are advertising it as FRIDAY as they are in a different markets I guess. Sure will be some upset people when they come up to see it on Friday and we do not have it. [Confused]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2002 02:04 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the final credit check of new reels 1 & 9 last Thursday with
Thelma. Because it was credited as a Miramax release. Now it is a
Miramax and Touchstone release. [thumbsup]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gangs of New York breaks in 1500~ theaters per Upcoming Movies. In the NYC metro the film opens on the break.

If Miramax is going with a 2-step rollout that means damage control to offset all the bad reviews. Also, Miramax is supposed to open Pinocchio on Xmas Day but the dubbing is going down to the wire.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad reviews? Peter Travers of Rolling Stone had it placed number 1 in his top ten list. Ebert and Roeper gave it Thumbs Up. And Time Magazine was mostly positive. Hardly quote whores here.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the press screenings(21), I did in NYC. I had no walkouts.
Daniel Day Lewis just won Best Actor award here in NY for "Gangs".

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-17-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the 16 Gangs reviews currently on rottentomatoes.com, 12 are positive.

[Two Towers has 38 positive out of 39. [Cool] ]

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things are changing again. I guess my booker convinced Miramax that we should open on the 20th too. Bookings changed today and now we are opening 2 prints on Friday. I guess I wont have to face the angry mobs on Friday after all. Love the holiday season! [Wink]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm confused. I thought Gangs was moved from the 25th to keep from opening from Spielberg's new film (also with diCaprio). It seems there's some sort of (unspoken) studio agreement not to open two films with the same actor on the same day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: