Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What the HECK is the difference between Canola oil and Coconut Oil?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: What the HECK is the difference between Canola oil and Coconut Oil??
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to start using Coconut Oil instead of Canola oil.
Can someone tell me the difference/benefits of either?? THANKS!

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taste!!
You will be stepping up a notch!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kettles will be easer to clean too, I always felt that the Canola oil left a gummy residue if not ALWAYS cleaned properly and thoroughly

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-04-2002 09:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut oil all the way. Depite that health scare many years ago, I remember reading followup reports that declared it was healthier than canola oil too.

I am moving this to Ground Level, where more of the experts in the art of popping will be hanging out.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut Oil was the standard for many years. Then, sometime in the 90's, a 'health study' came out saying that having a large bag of corn was the equalivent of eating a steak dinner (cholesterol wise). So we all went out to try new things. Canola Oil was the best alternative. Now all of that health study b.s. is gone (or forgotten about) and we are going back to it. It definately tastes better than canola oil.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of the historic theatres with which I am affiliated, the head of concession is a nurse in her 'day job'. When the Coconut and Palm oil scares came around we changed to Peanut oil. Next we had to make a giant sign that said the popcorn contained peanut products so we wouldn't make those allergic to peanuts have a fit.

I suppose the only way to avoid these issues is to 'hot air pop' the corn.

Then there is the real butterfat vs. non dairy issue....

KEN

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer using Coconut oil, and in the theatre I've used it at (we switched from the LouAna Canola Mix to White Coconut), the guests liked it better, and our comment cards sent to our corporate office on the taste of the popcorn increased by about 1000%.

The only negative is the fact that Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, which means you are going to have to melt it to get the pump in there (a heating wand is a must), and if you don't have heated lines you are going to need to invest in a hairdryer to melt the lines, as well as a heated pump.

But all in all I found it worth it, especially if you use White Popcorn seed. When cooked in coconut oil it smells like corn on the cob and doesn't have the grainy taste and smell that the regular popcorn seed has (which is masked by the canola oil we've used.)

Also one of the added benefits (if you use White Coconut oil as opposed to the Red) is that your guests will probably think your popcorn is healthier. If they'd ask, I'd explain the oil we used and why the popcorn wasn't yellow anymore, must most wouldn't ask.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong here (it's been about 3 years since I was around a popper) but I also seem to recall someone mentioning Canola Oil being soy-based, and a small percentage of people are allergic to soy (just as peanuts, etc.) so perhaps the percentage of coconut-allergic people is smaller, adding another benefit?

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The differences I have found:
1) TASTE, TASTE, TASTE, TASTE. Canola [thumbsdown] , Coconut [thumbsup]

2) Corn popped with coconut will keep for at least a week, no problem. With Canola, you are lucky to get a couple of days.

3) Cleanup. I agree that the popper is easier to clean with coconut oil.

I actually use a 50% coconut, 50% vegatable oil called Pop-N-Lite. It works very well. And I cannot tell the difference between corn popped with it and with 100% coconut oil.
AND, a BIG plus - it is always liquid at room temperature!

Tony

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-05-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as all of your oil lines run a couple of degrees down hill you won't have to worry about the oil congealing in them.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 12:14 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony -

I am sorry - but I will never patronize your theatre - if I am ever in Indiana. One of the things we pride ourselves in at Crown - is that our popcorn is popped fresh everyday, every show (whether we use coconut oil or canola oil). I remember back in the day when a company I worked for made us keep the corn for days at a time - stale popcorn tastes bad.

If you are wondering how we do it - or about waste. We hardly ever have that much waste. For the popcorn that does not get used - we donate it to the homeless (there are a lot of homeless in Las Vegas).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Martin wrote: "I also seem to recall someone mentioning Canola Oil being soy-based"

Canola oil is made from rapeseed:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00198.html

http://www.ag.usask.ca/exhibits/walkway/story/canola.html

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/nexus/Brassica_rapeseed_nex.html

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 01:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Canola Oil. [Razz]

We pop fresh for each show. [thumbsup]

Our customers tell us that we have the best popcorn in town. [thumbsup]

changing to a new container of Coconut Oil that hasn't been melted yet is a pain in the ass! [Mad]

I am intriged by the idea of half Coconut and half vegitable oil though. [Smile]

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 03:32 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old theatre uses coconut oil. I was a joy to use for several reasons. First, I personally love the smell of it [Big Grin] . Also, we always get compliments on how good it tastes. Sometimes during matinees, we'd ( I usually [Big Grin] ) take an empty large popcorn bucket and sit and eat popcorn all day. And the kettle is a lot easier to clean.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only negative is the fact that Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, which means you are going to have to melt it to get the pump in there (a heating wand is a must), and if you don't have heated lines you are going to need to invest in a hairdryer to melt the lines, as well as a heated pump.

We wrap hot towels around the low spots and it usually melts in a few minutes.

As far as leftovers, we toss it out at the end of the day or I take it to my regular job and give my co-workers something to snack on. It's good for a couple of days. I can't see doing that with Canola oil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: