Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Thanksgiving (Wed.) Bookings

Author Topic: Thanksgiving (Wed.) Bookings
Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the overload of new releases this upcoming Wednesday, I was wondering which movies everyone was thinking would do well. At my theatre, we are having a difficult time doing placements. We are fairly confident in Treasure Planet doing good business, however I'm unsure about Solaris, Extreme Ops, Wes Craven's: They, and Eight Crazy Nights.

Which of these new movies do you think will do the best?

Thanks

Jim

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 11:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everyone I've talked to said they have absolutely no desire to see "Extreme Ops" -- Their reason was if they want to see a good action movie, they'll just go see Die Another Day.

My predictions:
1. Treasure Planet
2. Eight Crazy Nights
3. Solaris
4. They
5. Extreme Ops

Of course, I think Harry Potter and Die Another Day will do better than They or Extreme Ops. But we'll have to wait and see. [Smile]

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would place in the following order (depending on the scenario, with 1 being the largest house, 10 being the smallest)
1 Harry Potter
2 Die Another Day
3 Solaris
4 Treasure Planet
5 8 Crazy Nights
6 Extreme Ops
7 Friday After Next
8 Santa Clause 2
9 They
10 8 Mile

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My placement would be as follows (again, with 1 being the largest house, 8 being the smallest). I'm in a 16 plex with 8 theatres mirroring each other...

1. Treasure/007
2. 007 (2nd print)/Solaris
3. Extreme Ops / friday After next
4. HP 2 / 8 Crazy nights
5 HP 2 / They
6. MBFGW / 8 Mile
7. Santa Clause 2 / The Ring
8. Emperor's Club / Frida/1/2 Past Dead double up.

And let's not forget the Sneak Friday of Maid in Manhattan. (with, of course, The Ring!)

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My crystal ball fogs up this time of year. Seems no matter how hard we try, we end up moving prints and adjusting schedules. [Big Grin]

Speaking of schedules, my fax machine just started to spit out a revised schedule for 11/29! [Eek!]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having holiday depression...
We lost our Print of Frida so that Jackass could be held over for another week [Mad]
Otherwise, it's normal booking...
Two prints of Treasure Planet (one splits matinee/evening w/ Die Another Day), Solaris, Extreme Ops, and They.

"They" snuck up on me, and at such a short running time, it apparently snuck up on the filmmakers too. [Smile]

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how are these predictions turning out? Anyone care to post their observations from their theatres? Wed. was slow here.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Wed. was steady, but we werent' "slammed".

Today started off slow (always does), 4pm picked up considerably and the 7's blew us out (always do).

I was wayy wrong about SC 2. Will bump it up to 3rd largest in the AM. Extreme Ops will go to the smallest, Treaure will get bumped down to teh 2nd largest (swapped out with the 2nd 007).

Woould move SOlaris into a smaller house, but can't take Friday out of monitoring position... Damn kids.. [Mad] [fu]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2002 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the numbers ... and using the above house placements ... I would move the following:

1 Harry Potter - stays put
2 Die Another Day - move down to 3
3 Solaris - move down to 9
4 Treasure Planet - move down to 7
5 8 Crazy Nights - move up to 2
6 Extreme Ops - move down to 10
7 Friday After Next - move down to 8
8 Santa Clause 2 - move up to 4
9 They - move up to 6
10 8 Mile - move up to 5

At least I got Potter right! Friday will check again for necessary moves.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2002 12:40 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eight Crazy Nights was a huge dissapointment for us... we have 3 prints of the thing too. Moved them to pretty much the smallest 3 auditoriums. Bond is still very busy! Will have to see what kind of matinee business we get with Treasure Planet this weekend.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ is pretty good at print placement. Its lineup yesterday went:
  1. They
  2. Treasure Planet/8 Mile (last show only)
  3. Harry Potter 2
  4. Harry Potter 2
  5. Die Another Day
  6. Treasure Planet
  7. Santa Clause 2
  8. Eight Crazy Nights
  9. Greek Wedding (first show only)/The Ring
  10. Solaris
  11. The Emperor's Club
  12. Extreme Ops
3 and 4 are giant-size halls; 2 and 5 large; 1 and 6 medium-large; 9, 10 and 11 medium; 8 small-medium; 7 and 12 small.

Frida was dropped after only 5 days -- it could have been doubled up in hall 7.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 01:24 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did pretty well last night in spite of not having the newest films.

This is my theoretical 7-plex as we only really have a 5-plex.

1. Bowling for Columbine
2. The Man From Elysian Fields
3. Frida
4. Far From Heaven
5. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
6. Femme Fatale
7. Real Women Have Curves

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 04:26 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles - BV is not allowing a double on Santa Clause 2 yet ... if you have multiple prints you can double those ... but one print has to be clean.
Friday night print moves
1 Harry Potter - stays put
2 8 Crazy Nights - move down to 4
3 Die Another Day - stays put
4 Santa Clause 2 - move up to 2
5 8 Mile - move down to 7
6 They - move down to 8
7 Treasure Planet - move up to 5
8 Friday After Next - move up to 6
9 Solaris - stays put
10 Extreme Ops - stays put

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 12:32 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is our lineup from largest to smallest houses.

1, Harry Potter
2, Die another day
3, Die another day
4, Treasure Planet/Jackass
5, Harry Potter
6, Treasure Planet
7, Harry Potter/8 Crazy Nights
8, 8 Mile
9, The Ring
10, Santa Clause 2

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter.
Die Another Day.
Treasure Planet.
Friday After Next [sleep] (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!) [sleep]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: