Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Landmark Theatres Sold (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Landmark Theatres Sold
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-13-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark Theatres and Silver Cinemas sold for 80 million. Now they
are a part of the Loew's circuit.
here

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-13-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...maybe my Landmark pass will work at LCE venues.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-14-2002 12:16 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or it won't work at all.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting considering that when Loews merged with Cineplex-Odeon a few years back, they had to sell off 14 theatres (35 screens) in NYC to satisfy the Attorney General's concerns about monopoly and non-competition. They sold those screens to Clearview. Landmark owns one five-screen in NYC -- if the Attorney General was consistent, he'd want Loews to sell off something else to accomodate it.

Five of those fourteen theatres that Loews sold to Clearview are now closed, so forcing Loews to sell them really didn't help the competitive environment at all. And the entire Clearview chain is for sale anyway.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was still a secret I guess not.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-14-2002 04:03 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now are there really any secrets in this business?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-14-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now are there really any secrets in this business?

YES! We can't possably let our customers in the theatre while we're cleaning! Our technique is a highly guarded TRADE SECRET!!!!!

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a trade secret, it's our opportunity to criticize all of the people waiting in line!! Come on, you should know that

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews parent company has also bought 7 percent of AMC stock in a recent filing. Interesting to see what comes of that.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews/Cineplex Odeon merger also required that Loews divest themselves of a number of Chicago theatres, creating the now-defunct Meridian Theatres, and currently the bulk of the circuit I work for, Village Entertainment.

I am curious as to what Loews plans to do with the Landmark theatre that clears me out. Depending on what they decide to play there, it could be very good or very bad. If the current booking trend continues, I'm going to have to start going to Blockbuster to get my movies.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that the Landmark theatres will continue as a distinct entity and their people will continue to run that sub-circuit since they are the experts in the art field. For Chicago it doesn't take much imagination to figure that Piper's Alley might get shifted over to Landmark but that is just reasonable speculation at this point.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark will remain separate from Loews even though both chains will be owned by the same company (Onex). It's not like where Anschutz melded Regal, UA and Edwards under Regal Entertainment Group.

FWIW the Loews Village VII and the Landmark Sunshine Cinema are in the same booking zone in lower Manhattan.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

I have asked you before and you never answered me, WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION? That is NOT true. Landmark WILL fall under the LCE "Family" of theatres (Star, Cineplex, Loews, MJT, Cinemex)Landmark may keep all of its personal but it will be operated as part of LCE.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not my understanding.

Source: Landmark staff

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company has made it very clear that it will operate Landmark as an LCE venture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: